Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Quality SG coaching on display here:

1. stand looking intently into the middle distance during training whether there are players there or not.

2. Move hands in mysterious ways to indicate unknown tactics.

3. Show a montage of literally every goal scored by his team this season. Montage will take ten seconds. 

4. Look serious throughout because this is how a manager should look

5. Spray on hair because managers should have hair

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

From the beeb:

"In a statement Gerrard, who is reported to be one of the best-paid managers in the world on a salary of about £15m, said: "This is very pleasing for myself and my family and feels like recognition for a lot of hard work and commitment."

The greatest heist ever.

Full article if you enjoy being miserable, which given you're on VT is probably most of you.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68019672

2 months of hard work and commitment. Yes fully deserved.

3 hours ago, dubbs said:

I thought the last thing they did over there was reward failure?

They do love a flashy name and Steven ''never won the Premier League' Gerrard is as flashy as they come. 

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

They do love a flashy name and Steven ''never won the Premier League' Gerrard is as flashy as they come. 

Rewarded for failure again.  The guy is a total fraud.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

"In a statement Gerrard, who is reported to be one of the best-paid managers in the world on a salary of about £15m"

Genuinely sickening.

• Like 3

I work in Saudi, you wont believe the amount of utter incompetence which is rewarded on a daily basis.

Good Family name, bit of ass kissing, sit around let everybody do your work..Success

Here's a fun multiple choice competition

spacer.png

A - Yes

B - Yes, or

C - Yes

Answers on a postcard to UEFA & FIFA, Saudi Football Federation and every other football league in the world.

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Genuinely sickening.

Maybe you're saying this rhetorically, but I don't understand why people get mad about this stuff. Steven Gerrard was already loaded anyway; the main thing to take away from this club spaffing vast sums on an absolute chancer who can't even win two matches in a row is that with management like that this league is no threat to anything. Which brings me to. . . 

1 hour ago, adam67 said:

I work in Saudi, you wont believe the amount of utter incompetence which is rewarded on a daily basis.

Good Family name, bit of ass kissing, sit around let everybody do your work..Success

This is right. It's kind of hard not to sound offensive talking about this, but ATEOTD it's a country where money comes gushing out of the ground; many people have gotten very very rich without having to bother with 'working hard' or 'managing things properly' or 'employing a good candidate rather than your nepotistic failson' and frankly how many of us would really be any different if we were in their shoes? Probably not I!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe you're saying this rhetorically, but I don't understand why people get mad about this stuff. Steven Gerrard was already loaded anyway; the main thing to take away from this club spaffing vast sums on an absolute chancer who can't even win two matches in a row is that with management like that this league is no threat to anything. Which brings me to. . . 

This is right. It's kind of hard not to sound offensive talking about this, but ATEOTD it's a country where money comes gushing out of the ground; many people have gotten very very rich without having to bother with 'working hard' or 'managing things properly' or 'employing a good candidate rather than your nepotistic failson' and frankly how many of us would really be any different if we were in their shoes? Probably not I!

I guess the reasoning for describing it as sickening is simply that he probably doesn’t deserve to be among the highest earning managers because he’s not a very good manager.

Whereas he legitimately earned his substantial wealth as a player because he was a good player.

But I don’t massively care. If the Saudi league want to waste money paying him, it’s no real bother to me.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I guess the reasoning for describing it as sickening is simply that he probably doesn’t deserve to be among the highest earning managers because he’s not a very good manager.

Whereas he legitimately earned his substantial wealth as a player because he was a good player.

But I don’t massively care. If the Saudi league want to waste money paying him, it’s no real bother to me.

Yeah, I get that this is the reason, I don't get why it's worth getting irritated about. To the extent that 'meritocracy' does mean running things better then it's better for English football for Saudi to be as wasteful and unmeritocratic as possible. 

I expect it’s probably as simple as one of the people running that club is a massive Liverpool fan. 

When you’re in that position with all that wealth, you can just pay to have your football heroes hang out with you. 

51 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I expect it’s probably as simple as one of the people running that club is a massive Liverpool fan. 

Purslow get a new job 😝

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, I get that this is the reason, I don't get why it's worth getting irritated about. To the extent that 'meritocracy' does mean running things better then it's better for English football for Saudi to be as wasteful and unmeritocratic as possible. 

The only wrinkle in this was that Aston Villa also made him one of (if not the) highest earning managers in their history for *checks notes* winning the Scottish Premier League once. Frank Lampard has similarly made bags of cash managing 2 of the biggest clubs in England somehow, so English football isn't really immune to this sort of thing.

The reason I bring this up is that in Saudi (and most of the Gulf) it's a societal thing which as pointed out is brought upon by their insane wealth that they lucked into which meant their people never really have to sweat a day in their lives (which I can't even hate on as it is actually a lot better than we in the West have to contend, despite the adverse effects on work ethic, but I digress). It's not just relegated to football.

But in England most other industries and walks of life are relatively meritorious, but for some reason football seems to reward certain big names that are wholly unqualified for the roles. It's perplexing. But I'm sure there are other industries that have an element of being an "old boys club", but football seems to be the most prominent.

Â