Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

11 minutes ago, useless said:

Looks like he's losing his assistant Ian Foster who is seemingly going to become Plymouth's new manager.

The brains of the operation.... Etc.. 

• Haha 2

I think these top ex-players fall into the trap of demanding the respect off the players that they think they deserve from their playing days, but have done nothing to earn it.  They also are egotistical enough to believe their skills on the pitch will automatically transfer off it 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, useless said:

Looks like he's losing his assistant Ian Foster who is seemingly going to become Plymouth's new manager.

Sadly I cannot see that appointment being anything other than a disaster for Argyle.

I really hope I’m wrong but cannot see it being successful. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Sadly I cannot see that appointment being anything other than a disaster for Argyle.

I really hope I’m wrong but cannot see it being successful. 

Shame, it’s just the defence been letting them down really but to lose Azaz and the manager will not end well.

• Like 1

Plymouth have good recruitment, they've apparenlty got some sort of small scale Brighton/Brentford type system in place which has been serving them well. Ryan Lowe and Steven Schumacher were unknowns pretty much when they got appointed - both initially came from Bury.

Foster is an highly rated young coach who has spent a lot of time in the England youth setup, he was head coach when England won the U19 Euros, and I'd be surprised if he doesn't make use of that connection in the transfer window. He's kind of a similar profile to Steve Cooper when he was given the Swansea job.

According to some Saudi League no it all on Talksport, he's not won in 2 months. Apparently down to having no money for transfers. Didn't they spend big at the start of the season, on Henderson and a few others. No mention he's not really a good manager or coach.

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

According to some Saudi League no it all on Talksport, he's not won in 2 months. Apparently down to having no money for transfers. Didn't they spend big at the start of the season, on Henderson and a few others. No mention he's not really a good manager or coach.

Noticeable signings were, Henderson, Moussa Dembele, Wjinaldum and Demarai Gray but it's not Gerrard's fault 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Noticeable signings were, Henderson, Moussa Dembele, Wjinaldum and Demarai Gray but it's not Gerrard's fault 

Didn't he give Henderson 700k a week 🤣🤣

I mean Henderson is basically a better version of Ashley Westwood. He'd have been better off signing Coutinho or someone who can score or assist, despite being past it/crocked a lot. I wonder if Ashley Young would go.

4 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Shame, it’s just the defence been letting them down really but to lose Azaz and the manager will not end well.

The defence was 'letting them down'partly due to how Schumacher set them up. They were very attack minded.

Rough few weeks for them though and hiring Gerrard's assistant doesn't exactly fill me with excitement for them.

There's a lot more to Foster's career than just being Gerrard's assistant for a few months, before that he managed England youth teams at various levels, including winning the U19 Euros, he's also worked under various managers as a first team coach at Coventry and Portsmouth, earlier in his Coventry career when he worked for their academy he was credited with playing a big role in Maddison and Wilson's development, hence him eventually working with England youth setup.

Whoever they appoint is going to find it difficult just by virtue of them being one of the weaker teams in the league and now losing Azaz and possibly Cundle, this is where Foster's England connections could come in handy with regards to replacements, or even just his reputation for working with youngsters at all, he will have workd with quite a few that have come through our academy, and with us already having something of a relationship with them will be interesting to see if he makes use of that

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Bloody hell. He’s doing such a good job there, it would be crazy not to extend his contract 😂

Blind leading the Blind cones to mind 

1 win in 10 and and they extend his deal the same week Henderson pisses off?

Seems like a pretty transparent attempt to counter the story of big names wanting out.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Do you think he threw his toys out of the pram when Henderson left, the Saudis didn't want another high profile departure so they gave him a bumper new deal? If so, he's cleverer than we thought. Stay slippy on the gravy train, SG. 

Nice that he's found his level. Midtable in a league that, overall, is the equivalent of League 2? Maybe Vanerama Premier? 

It's actually sickening really.  As long as you are a "name" you just get more and more and more money despite having zero skillset or success in the role.  Over to the Games Gone thread.

And when he inevitably fails so badly they have to get rid, he'll not get even MORE money because of the extended contract.  Eugghh

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

I’m really chuffed for him. He’s made a load of filthy cash and made his return to coaching at a decent level even less likely.

I wonder if he’ll take Coutinho off our hands for a cheeky £20m? 

44 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’m really chuffed for him. He’s made a load of filthy cash and made his return to coaching at a decent level even less likely.

Doubt it, Phil doesn’t seem to like the Qatari life, doubt he’d be up for Saudi. A move back to Brazil probably best for him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I imagine they both hate each other.

Gerrard probably holds a grudge because it'll all be Coutinho's fault for not being Paul Daniels and winning games for us.

...and Coutinho probably bitter because Stevie convinced him to sack off 300k a week to play for him.

• Like 1

Â