Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

17 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

We hear all the time about Pep’s and Klopp’s respective systems, and Conte’s and Potter’s. The media love to discuss successful systems.

There’s a lot less talk about Gerrard’s system however, probably because it’s difficult to even identify it.

And because what ever it is, it isn’t successful. 

21 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

This for me. If the Bournemouth performance wasn't so abject it was obvious he wanted Tyrone Mings out. (and before anyone says anything, him being "injured" is a load of bs that only got mentioned well after the dust had settled.)

Pretty sure it was mentioned he has a niggle in the pre match presser. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Surely the owners has to look at what Howe has managed to achieve at Newcastle in a relatively short space of time and come to the obvious conclusion that Gerrard is not the man. 

Well my gut feeling is telling me they already are but Purslow is defending his pal to the hilt. 

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, a m ole said:

you tend to earn respect.

Smith did well here and earned my respect, he was well liked in the media too. Gerrard carries more pressure on him because he is a bigger name in football.  Gerrard is, in my opinion, under more pressure by the media/social media than Smith was for various reasons. Gerrard at the moment (I recognise things could change in the matter of days given the fickle nature of football) has earned more time with his recent results - he is not going to be sacked without a fight, fair play. What do you want Gerrard to do? Cry? Fold up? 

I still stand by us having a mentality issue at the club. This issue needs addressing before we move forward. Hopefully Gerrard is the man to do it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Surely the owners has to look at what Howe has managed to achieve at Newcastle in a relatively short space of time and come to the obvious conclusion that Gerrard is not the man. 

Well my gut feeling is telling me they already are but Purslow is defending his pal to the hilt. 

Because if Gerrard is a failure then so is Purslow, they should both be sacked...

• Like 1

If we lose Monday it will be 9 played with 8 points (0.88ppg), 2 wins, at least -5 goal difference. 2 points off relegation zone.

Smith was sacked with 11 played with 10 points (0.91ppg), 3 wins, -6 goal difference. 2 points off relegation zone.

If Palace beat Leeds and West Ham get a point against Fulham today then we would be 16th, the same position we were in when Smith was sacked.

Continuous improvement.

Edited by a m ole

8 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I think Gerrard has set us back for years. 

Signed a bunch of older players with very little resell value and on high wages. 

Will take years for us to recover from this and at that point clubs like Newcastle will be light-years ahead of us. 

This appointment has been absolutely disastrous by every metric. 

This is my worry. 

13 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Signed a bunch of older players with very little resell value and on high wages. 

Will take years for us to recover from this and at that point clubs like Newcastle will be light-years ahead of us. 

I think losing Jack scared the shit out of everyone, we tried to buy instant results to try not to slip (pun not intended but lol) and we’ve suffered for it. 

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Absolutely this. We came to a fork in the road when we got rid of Deano and made a disaster of a decision. To drag out the misery and delay the inevitable is going to make things much worse. Shambolic decision by Purslow. 

Edited by Villa87

38 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Absolutely this. We came to a fork in the road when we got rid of Deano and made a disaster of a decision. To drag out the misery and delay the inevitable is going to make things much worse. Shambolic decision by Purslow. 

I still think the players are the least of our worries, they are actually some very good players.

We also have very good players coming through.

The Mangement is the issue, thus far.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I still think the players are the least of our worries, they are actually some very good players.

Oh I agree - that’s what I was saying - the decision to appoint Gerrard is a shambolic decision. Signing players for one last pay deal is a secondary issue, but an issue all the same and stemming from Gerrard. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Oh I agree - that’s what I was saying - the decision to appoint Gerrard is a shambolic decision. Signing players for one last pay deal is a secondary issue, but an issue all the same and stemming from Gerrard. 

Yeah as the players you note, are players for more immediate/short term results,we don't have time to faff about.

Last night I was thinking though " Newcastle have Guimares, we have McGinn " 🙄

Then again, it's SG who chooses the team, whether we have a " Guimares " or not .

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nick76 said:

I honestly think you watch a different Aston Villa to me mate, we can’t be at further spectrums at the moment and I never remember being like that before Gerrard with you.

I assume you don’t mean under Gerrard but generally since the owners came in 4 or so years ago? Because I haven’t seen gradual improvement and sensible growth under Gerrard, in fact probably on balance we seem to be at best drifting and at worse getting worse.

No Leeds isn’t an easy place to go but we aren’t picking up points well for equivalent of half a season, we played half a game against 10 men and a goalkeeper that was flapping, of course we should’ve won but between players not taking their chances and Gerrard’s poor tactics and subs we didn’t.

You’re one of the biggest advocates for this so I’m surprised you said this re the Coutinho goal which I for one disagreed with because a) Man City players stopped when the ref blew so who knows if it still would’ve gone in and b) it changes the game and so we don’t know how either team would’ve reacted.  Goals change games and saying a goal should stand which means we would’ve won is not correct.

If we don’t beat Forest, which is a banker in my eyes for Gerrard then we are in a whole world of trouble.  While we have to respect the league, we are supposed to be a team pushing for top ten, we need to beat the worst teams at least because we struggle against mid to elite teams.

I think Gerrard’s team beats Forest, it has to but this guy needs to go, but beating Forest will cover him to the WC unfortunately.  Gerrard is doing just enough to save himself from the sack it seems but enough to damage Villa.  Sad!

• We see the same game Nick, I see the flaws in our play, just like you.....its just our interpretation of what we see is different.....I see a team SG is not happy with, or me, and is trying to remedy.
  • We are not getting worse, thats a fallacy, but the improvement is less then we expected, having 2 strikers off form and your marquee signings missing, doesn't help....He needs more than 35 games, before we, kick him in to touch. However, I can't say its gone to plan, just taking longer, than I initially thought.
  • Ollie should have done better.....how many strikers on Saturday MOTD illustrated the art of lifting the ball over the keeper.....How can any manager legislate, for poor finishing.....even Michael Owen pin pointed Ollie's lack of awareness after the Leeds Game......a win there and the landscape changes a tad.
  • I don't buy the view they stopped playing, the ballistics was, the ball went in off the bar, no player, could have stopped that, irrespective of what happened....The fact is the officials denied us a goal, which could have won us the match.....sure Man City, could have scored again, I accept that.....but the odds are in our favour, as we actually executed a legitimate goal.....Thats the difference in our view, I look for the positives, you seem to look for the negatives....in relation to this manager.
  • I think your last response is really sad.....you are a gnats wotsit away from saying you want us to lose, just to get your way of a new manager.....you haven't said it, but might as well of.....There are no bankers in this league, that is avery jaundiced view on the capabilty of the league....even Bournemouth have defied the gas lighters, who have, had them relegated before a ball was kicked.....they still might be, but right now, they are making a fist of it, and taking scalps.....we can under estimate teams at our peril.....You cannot football you way to success, until the players are in form to do so, and they are not, so contingency has to be sought, until they are.....No system will compensate for below form players.
  • We cannot move forward, whilst a bunch of pitchforks are just waiting for him to fail, its negative and unhelpful.....He needs support like any other manager, if he was an inexprienced  player, there would be uproar, they way a section of the fanbase is treating him.
  • I accept Nick, that he is doing no better than Dean, (marginally, but not worth mentioning) and that argument is valid from the Dean Smith fans.....but do I think he has a higher ceiling, yes I do.....did I think he was going to do better than he has so far, yes I did....but that doesn't make me right, maybe I was expecting too much too soon.
  • I think, if any damage has been done to Villa and I say IF, it's in recruitment, where we have faultered, in part.....Kamara and Carlos, was good signings...but too many players are not punching their weight.....They might be good players, but they are not showing it, and some of the questionable play, in on them ,for me.

Whilst overall, I am not happy, with our current position in the table, and I am not happy, with some of the players individual play.....I still don't think its enough to go looking for the managers head after 35 games. If he was happy with things, I would be more worried, but he isn't......I remember, Dean answering a Journalist, wehen he was quizzed after one of our games and Dean barked " do you think I have asked them to play like that"......and In my view, I fully supported Dean, the players can let you down.

How many managers squirm on the touch line whilst watching their respective teams.....some fans seem to think every move, from a player has been choreographed by the respective manager, they get frustrated, like we do.

I am sad to say Nick, not many of our managers of the past, have been subjected to such a negative reaction, as this one......Steve Bruce or Alex McLeish, who both were very decent human beings and I know that first hand....even though, they came up short ofn the football side.

I am certainly not saying SG is without criticism, but the manner in which, a section of the fan base, more on the internet, than in the ground, by the way, is going after him, and micro analysing games to find fault......that is the damaging bit to the club.

I will finally say this......Nothing in my opinion, under 2 managers, has suggested to me that we are ready for European places in the League, the noise surrounding that, is all it is.......you can blame who you like for that, but the standard of football, being witnessed, does suggest to me the claims are fanciful.

Unlike you, I am not convinced a new manager, denied of funds, will improve this team, much beyond of what it is, unless a massive lift in form, can be found, and I don't know where, that is coming from.....I am equally not convinced, systems or tactics are whats holding us back, players making a huge fist applying themselves are IMO......I accept that is the managers job, and I do hold him to account for that part of it, as I did with Dean......maybe, its harder then we think, to get the horse to drink.

Finally, I will keep supporting him, until the club, don't.....and if a new manager is appointed, whether it is my choice or not, I will support him.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, HolteExile said:

It's a poor start, carrying on from a poor end to last season from Soton at home early March onwards. 

You can't get away with four > five months of duff form and performances in the top flight now - if you ever could. 

but last seasons record under him, would have us in 8th place.....was that not good enough in your first part season?

glass half full or half empty....

We are 8 games in, after a poor start, at least let him have a chance of correcting that poor start.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I completely disagree, and think it's absolutely the other way round, as I think would quickly become evident if Gerrard left and we moved on to the next bloke. Lots of players like McGinn and Watkins are nowhere near good for a sustained push for top 8, they're bottom half Premier League standard at best. The owners didn't back the manager nearly enough in the summer, witth the result that we're left with essentially the same team that Smith was struggling so badly with.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I see your point, only 11 months i suppose

Graham Potters first season with Brighton. 2020/2021

Games    Wins    draws   losses    goals for     goals against    points

38              9           14          15           40                   46                    41

So my point is...he needs time.

Things have gone against him like losing his trusted coach, losing his marquee signings to long term injury.

I don't want to get too knee deep in reasons, ( some will say excuses), becasue the guy is not one to wallow in adversity...he just gets on with it.

However, managers of all walks of life are there, for that sole reason, to manage.......and that means manage adversity.

anyone can manage through the good times, its what you are made of, through the troubled waters that defines you.

Lets give him a chance, to right this horrible start.....and stop the hissy fits of entitlement.

We are not the top teams, like Arsenal, who nearly lost their protege, by the pitchforks, thankfully Kronke, kept his nerve....thats what successful business men do.

I would imagine, SG has been subjected to much scrutiny, by our owners, and while they back him......so do I.

When they see fit to change, I will support that too, albeit be disappointed, if it doesn't work out....Like I was disappointed for Dean too.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Risso said:

I completely disagree, and think it's absolutely the other way round, as I think would quickly become evident if Gerrard left and we moved on to the next bloke. Lots of players like McGinn and Watkins are nowhere near good for a sustained push for top 8, they're bottom half Premier League standard at best. The owners didn't back the manager nearly enough in the summer, witth the result that we're left with essentially the same team that Smith was struggling so badly with.

Oh I tend to agree with you on that, my comment was more in reference to pointing a finger at newly signed  older players ".

Carlos, Coutinho, Digne etc are very decent players.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Â