Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

17 hours ago, ender4 said:

What? He’s been here a year!  We’re not upset with a poor start, we are upset with a whole year of absolute garbage.

Check out Potters record in his first year.....check out Partick Viera's record in his first year......check out Lampards record, too.

Young Managers.....give them a break mate.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

We hear all the time about Pep’s and Klopp’s respective systems, and Conte’s and Potter’s. The media love to discuss successful systems.

There’s a lot less talk about Gerrard’s system however, probably because it’s difficult to even identify it.

maybe because they have the players to make it work.

I never heard it even mentioned, when I was watching past Villa teams.

The Media love Buzz words......Pressing is the latest one, when it was being done years ago, by the better teams.

can you describe one, before Steve Gerrards tenure, to help me catch up.

i.e. What was Ron Saunders system?

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Check out Potters record in his fort year.....check out Partick Viera's record in his first year......check out Lampards record.

Its not a training school

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Check out Potters record in his fort year.....check out Partick Viera's record in his first year......check out Lampards record.

Lampard isn't especially good. Both Vieria and Potter completely transformed their team's ways of playing from negative and dour to attractive and certainly in Potter's case, they should've won significantly more based on xG. Our style of play has been a step back on what went before, our squad is better than Palace/Brighton our resources greater. His ceiling will be the same as Sherwood's - sacked here and not a queue of clubs waiting. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dale said:

Lampard isn't especially good. Both Vieria and Potter completely transformed their team's ways of playing from negative and dour to attractive and certainly in Potter's case, they should've won significantly more based on xG. Our style of play has been a step back on what went before, our squad is better than Palace/Brighton our resources greater. His ceiling will be the same as Sherwood's - sacked here and not a queue of clubs waiting. 

Is it?

don't tell me....show me.

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Defo not. In a training school, you would be learning. Gerrard doesn't.

Have some empathy at least, you must have started something that you were novice at and made mistakes during a certain period of time but gradually got better over time?

Nobody thinks this is a training school. It is a big job/challenge - Gerrard will likely have been sacked after the Southampton game if he didn't get the results and an improvement in performance IMO....I don't think he is getting a free ride here, he knows the game and what needs to happen for him to keep his job - thus far. SG has done enough with recent results and performances. But as Gerrard has said "he isn't out of the woods yet". 

Gerrard has admitted he has made mistakes so far too. I think he thought this would be an easier than he thought. It seems he was overly enthusiastic when he first got the job and wanted to implement too many ideas at once and too quickly. He said too much and under delivered, that is fair cop. I personally felt uncomfortable with the notion that this would be a short term success story, I think it is going to take longer than that. Gerrard should have been viewed as a medium - long term appointment for the club. And I think those who have appointed on a short term basis were the foolish ones (Purslow and Lange, NSWE.) or they acknowledge this is a slower build?

I know I am one of a few who still believes in Gerrard on this forum, I just think you have to overcome these difficult times to get better long term. Gerrard has those leadership qualities to be a very good manager I believe, he is in the phase of developing the tactical and technical side of his team. It is an old fashion belief but you have to earn the right to play. For what it is worth, I think the players are playing for him and believe in him.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Check out Potters record in his first year.....check out Partick Viera's record in his first year......check out Lampards record, too.

Difference is Brighton were always topping xG stats. It was always likely they would eventually click. You could see what was brewing. 

Whereas umder Gerrard you can't see anything other than him taking us backwards. 

6 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Have some empathy at least, you must have started something that you were novice at and made mistakes during a certain period of time but gradually got better over time?

Nobody thinks this is a training school. It is a big job/challenge - Gerrard will likely have been sacked after the Southampton game if he didn't get the results and an improvement in performance IMO....I don't think he is getting a free ride here, he knows the game and what needs to happen for him to keep his job - thus far. SG has done enough with recent results and performances. But as Gerrard has said "he isn't out of the woods yet". 

Gerrard has admitted he has made mistakes so far too. I think he thought this would be an easier than he thought. It seems he was overly enthusiastic when he first got the job and wanted to implement too many ideas at once and too quickly. He said too much and under delivered, that is fair cop. I personally felt uncomfortable with the notion that this would be a short term success story, I think it is going to take longer than that. Gerrard should have been viewed as a medium - long term appointment for the club. And I think those who have appointed on a short term basis were the foolish ones (Purslow and Lange, NSWE.) or they acknowledge this is a slower build?

I know I am one of a few who still believes in Gerrard on this forum, I just think you have to overcome these difficult times to get better long term. Gerrard has those leadership qualities to be a very good manager I believe, he is in the phase of developing the tactical and technical side of his team. It is an old fashion belief but you have to earn the right to play. For what it is worth, I think the players are playing for him and believe in him.

The bloke is being paid 6m a year while at the same time being a complete and utter failure.

How about having some empathy for the fans who are having to pay through the nose to watch the garbage football he's putting out.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

The bloke is being paid 6m a year while at the same time being a complete and utter failure.

How about having some empathy for the fans who are having to pay through the nose to watch the garbage football he's putting out.

Failure? Failure surely would be relegation, no?

Do you go to games? Perhaps if you don't like it you should give your ticket to someone who would be more grateful? Just a thought.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Thing is mate, our proclaimed ambitions and resources aren't in the same category as Brighton when Potter went there or Veira at Palace, at all.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Do you go to games? Perhaps if you don't like it you should give your ticket to someone who would be more grateful? Just a thought.

The aim supposedly was Europe, not avoiding relegation.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

That is how much he values himself and his work at Rangers tbf. Personally, the money in football is gross but that is a wider debate I suppose. 

I do have empathy with other fans, I am in the stands with them. But If you don't want to support your team - don't go and let somebody else have a chance. You have a choice. Sick to death of so called fans weaponizing their support as a threat.... just don't go if you are that upset and have a choice! Go to the cinema.

6 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

When most people start out in a new job, it is at a level that match your education and experience. You don’t go from managing the local corner shop to becoming the managing director of Tesco.

Admitting that he made mistake after everybody can see his action resulted in a disaster, is not the same as knowing what he did wrong and how to rectify the mistakes and getting better results going forward. We all know there is an issue in midfield, but he doesn’t make any changes that resolve the issue, but continue with the same players in the same formation. How long should we give him to figure it out? Until we are relegated?

We know Luiz doesn’t believe in him, and refuses to sign a new contract. I’m guessing other player are in the same boat, the will run down their contract and leave for free, but putting in a good enough performance that they have options when they leave. I’m pretty sure Mings isn’t eager to extend his contract. Gerrard would cost us dearly and need to be replaced as soon as possible.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

We are not getting worse, thats a fallacy, but the improvement is less then we expected

Well we’ll have to agree to disagree.  Most players out of form, no cohesion, performances and results…all combined I think we are getting worse over the period.  We definitely aren’t improving, I can’t see how you say that.  We won’t agree on that but certainly it falls way short of what the owners expected by now surely.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Ollie should have done better.....how many strikers on Saturday MOTD illustrated the art of lifting the ball over the keeper.....How can any manager legislate, for poor finishing.....even Michael Owen pin pointed Ollie's lack of awareness after the Leeds Game......a win there and the landscape changes a tad.

Shame he had no options on the bench to replace him….oh wait!

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't buy the view they stopped playing, the ballistics was, the ball went in off the bar, no player, could have stopped that, irrespective of what happened..

Just watched it again, Stones moved out of the way because…Google it….even the analysts said so…the ball went directly at Stones, the ref blew the whistle, Stones moved his head out of the way.  If the ref hadn’t had blown Stones wouldn’t have moved and might have headed it away.  Watch the angles, it’s plain to see.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

The fact is the officials denied us a goal, which could have won us the match.....sure Man City, could have scored again, I accept that.....but the odds are in our favour, as we actually executed a legitimate goal.....Thats the difference in our view, I look for the positives, you seem to look for the negatives....in relation to this manager.

Positive view? It’s a false view though because while it was the wrong decision, we don’t know if it would’ve been a goal and if a goal we don’t know how it would’ve affected to game.  To use that as two points loss and a positive for the manager is not right

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I think your last response is really sad.....you are a gnats wotsit away from saying you want us to lose, just to get your way of a new manager.....you haven't said it, but might as well of

Glad you are putting words in my mouth because you don’t agree with me.  I don’t want us to lose.  I want Gerrard gone because he’s poor, I don’t deny that.  

I think supporting Gerrard is damaging Villa, supporting Villa means you want Gerrard gone. I see it as simple as that at the moment but that doesn’t include Villa losing.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I accept Nick, that he is doing no better than Dean, (marginally, but not worth mentioning)

He’s not doing better than Dean in any way at all.  This isn’t about Dean anyway but to say marginally is doing better than him is laughable.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

but do I think he has a higher ceiling, yes I do.

I don’t, I think he’ll end up a pundit because he isn’t cut out to be manager at this level.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I think, if any damage has been done to Villa and I say IF, it's in recruitment, where we have faultered, in part.....Kamara and Carlos, was good signings...but too many players are not punching their weight.....They might be good players, but they are not showing it, and some of the questionable play, in on them ,for me.

Coaching, bad coaching and poor management.  When almost all your players are underperforming and off form, it’s the coaching and management.

I can keep going on the other points but I’m just baffled by it.  I have no idea why you are so positive on Gerrard despite him providing no evidence to support it apart from he was an elite player.  I will go back to my earlier point, I think supporting Gerrard is damaging Villa, supporting Villa means you want Gerrard gone.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Do you really think that failure is only relegation?

Swear Gerrard is brainwashing certain sections of the fanbase.

• Like 1

Â