Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

24 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

And that is a bad outlook imo. 

Based on current reality so while it’s not an outlook I want, it’s justified by his time here as our manager.  Sometimes things don’t work out and he’s just doing enough to be saved from the sack it seems to the board but in doing that it’s damaging Villa.  

I don’t think it’s currently possible to want the best for Villa and to believe that Gerrard is not hindering that.  I think supporting giving Gerrard more time is hindering Villa and that’s why I have the outlook I do.

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

You'll see this is wrong when the next manager has us looking 10x better in 6 weeks of training.

I don't agree with this. Our players are not as good as many people here think. Next manager might as well fail completely. You never know.

Bringing in a new manager now will restart our project and be very expensive again. With no guarantees. I'd still wait, and I'm sure our owners will wait.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, a m ole said:

On the other point, I could say if you’re not upset by the complete lack of progress, the terrible football and concerned about the future of the club because you want to root for Gerrard then you’re against the club.

I agree, I’m at the point that if you support Gerrard getting more time you are ok Villa suffering further, which I don’t agree with.  It’s like a bad relationship and the only people that don’t realise it’s bad is the people in it and it’s not going to get better.

6 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I don't agree with this. Our players are not as good as many people here think. Next manager might as well fail completely. You never know.

Bringing in a new manager now will restart our project and be very expensive again. With no guarantees. I'd still wait, and I'm sure our owners will wait.

Restart our project? Project has completely crashed in the last year when we changed transfer plans

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

While I agree the next manager may fail, I think this manager is failing and doesn’t look like he has the right stuff to ever become a good manager to be able to fix it. So I don’t agree with giving Gerrard more time just because the next manager may fail.  This manager is failing so we have to move on and hope the board get it right or better in the next appointment.

Edited by nick76

12 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

We got 55 points two seasons ago.

With worse players.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We got 55 points two seasons ago.

With worse players.

We had probably the best player in the league though, who made a massive difference to just about everybody in the team.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Based on current reality so while it’s not an outlook I want, it’s justified by his time here as our manager.  Sometimes things don’t work out and he’s just doing enough to be saved from the sack it seems to the board but in doing that it’s damaging Villa.  

I don’t think it’s currently possible to want the best for Villa and to believe that Gerrard is not hindering that.  I think supporting giving Gerrard more time is hindering Villa and that’s why I have the outlook I do.

Gerrard is far from safe and hasn't saved his job, which he openly admits himself. All Gerrard has done in recent times is to improve our form, nothing more or less. It is a building block. Lose or draw against Forest the pressure builds. 

39 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I disagree, we've wasted a year but next manager will inherit a core group of Emi-Mings-Carlos-Kamara- Ramsey-Buendia-Bailey and that's not too bad imo to work with for mid table. Plenty of talent in there

Things I'd like the next manager to do is drop McGinn and have a proper defensive axis infront of the back 4. Giving Sanson AND Archer a run of starts would also be very pleasing aswell, stuff that is beyond Gerrard.

Even if results are up and down that will at least show next manager is at least more flexible and willing to try out more things with the squad he inherits. 

Thing is getting rid of Gerrard. I hope he's not left in charge too late. The new manager will need to win the disillusioned players back over before they ask to leave in January.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Villa_Vids said:

Gerrard is far from safe and hasn't saved his job, which he openly admits himself. All Gerrard has done in recent times is to improve our form, nothing more or less. It is a building block. Lose or draw against Forest the pressure builds. 

No I said he’s doing enough to save his job.  He should beat Forest to be fair. My point though and I’m not a believer of going game by game as I’ve mentioned before, it’s about consistency over time and losing an individual game I never believe should make a difference to a managers job, it should be about performance over a material period.  

If he beats Forest and gets four points from the next six games is that enough to keep his job?  It seems roughly in line with his run rate for this season and even into the back end of last season.  If the performances continue to be “pragmatic” with those points? What is a building block(s) under him look like.  Gerrard seems to just get enough points that he’s not getting the sack but we still underperform.

Anyway I can’t judge a manager game by game in the bigger picture.  Obviously I can praise or criticise a manager about a result or performance but a sacking shouldn’t be based on one game or the pressure shouldn’t be more or less.  If he wins, he shouldn’t be under less pressure and if he loses results in more pressure.  For me it’s performances and results over a period of time, not one, two or three games because any team can be unlucky or lucky in a particular match plus it depends on the opposition.  Apparently we’ve had the third easiest fixture start of the season so we are going to start hit some bigger/harder teams/games and it’s worrying we’ve only got 8 points.  Gerrard has imo a banker of three points tomorrow so he needs to lock that away and plan for the next group of games.

16 minutes ago, Risso said:

We had probably the best player in the league though, who made a massive difference to just about everybody in the team.

Wouldn't disagree he was the best player in the league.

Would disagree that means other players in the squad...Watkins, McGinn, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Doug who played every game now are not good enough to look like a football team.

The others...El Ghazi, Trez, Traore, Barkley, Targett have been replaced by much better players. 

Without Jack we won at Old Trafford last season. Gave Chelsea two really good games. Smashed, didn't scrape past a crap Everton. 

Still, it was probably fair to move Smith on if we were going to really kick on up the table, to a higher level of player...We shouldn't be so far off from where we were. This is the issue.

I would accept it if we were massively changing styles and working towards something. We aren't. We show nothing.

If the plan is sit behind the ball every game and hope not to lose, count me out. And you can count out 55k or whatever it is at Villa Park every week if that's the future.

• Like 1

This "players are not good enough" boll***ks don't stack up for me. Your telling me Poch coming in would get the same results as Gerrard, give me a break. We have some fantastic creativity, keeping Watkin's on for so long against Leeds and not bringing Ing's on was poor management. Watkin's may have a better all round game, when he's on it (which is rare), but Ing's is a far better finisher, something 95% of the fans could see was needed. There is also some poor poor teams in the league at the moment, i.e Leeds, Bournemouth, Southampton, which we have even struggled with.

Gerrard has really poor in game management as well as no plan B.  Potter changed the system inplay 3 times the weekend which ended in the team looking much better and taking the win. That's Leeds game, which is only 1 example, was going no where from 15 minutes in. The amount of shots Watkin's missed, any other manager would have taken him off at 50-60, but Gerrard was hoping the goal would come.

Also bringing players on for the last 3 minutes when you need a win is mindless, an just showing a manager who is way out of his depth. I don't hate him, but to take the job to manage Villa on your first Premier League job is just bonkers, I can see why he did it, but I cannot for the life of me see why it was offered!!

Sorry, but I just really cannot wait for the breaking news he has been sacked.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, sne said:

The aim supposedly was Europe, not avoiding relegation.

I think Purslow might have said that too, yesterday Gerrard spoke about top half. 

We look far from Europe.

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Do you really think that failure is only relegation?

Swear Gerrard is brainwashing certain sections of the fanbase.

Let's wait and see what happens before getting too upset and making accusations, it's a long way to go.

Saying a new manager might fail as a reason for sticking with Gerrard is ridiculous.

A new manager might fail, but he might succeed, especially if Purslow and co do their jobs properly.   Gerrard is an actual failure, with no sign of that changing.  There's little or no upside in persisting with him in case he suddenly finds some ability from somewhere after failing miserably to do so for a year.   

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, a m ole said:

7C460416-DAF8-4B07-AC40-86050125E72B.jpeg

8 points from 24 against mostly the crap is so so poor.

I do rate Purslow with the marketing of the club etc, but if he thought Gerrard was going to be a upgrade on Smith, (who to be fair is a half decent coach, just a little inexperienced to move us on) he needs to stay in the office doing the paperwork. May aswell have brought in Lennon, who to be fair is a far better manager than Gerrard.

Â