Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I've had to learn jobs but I've never had the privilege of being gifted a very senior and important position,  paid 6 million a year for it , and being allowed to learn as I go along.  Because it would be nonsensical for any organisation to do that, especially in a results based business with hundreds of millions at stake.    Difficult to have empathy for someone in such a privileged position.

You can blame the players as much as you want but Gerrard has had two windows and supposedly unlimited backing to bring in players who should be able to play how he wants them to.  Then look at Watkins v Leeds.  They guy is a great athlete and works his sock off but his technique and touch are appalling, and he lacks composure.  Yet  even after wasting multiple chances, Gerrard left him on, with Archer getting splinters in his arse.  That's not Watkins' fault, it's not Archer's fault, that's purely on Gerrard not having the balls to give the kid a go when Leeds were there for the taking.  It's not Buendia's fault that a misfiring Coutinho always gets in ahead of him.  It's not Sanson's or Luiz' fault that Gerrard persists with McGinn and Ramsey even though it has been shown to be ineffective multiple times.  It's not Konsa's fault that he is expected to play or bring the ball out of defence when he quite obviously doesn't have the skills or confidence to do it, while Chambers can't get a game.    It's not the players' fault if Gerrard coaches them to play at a slow tempo, or to waste time in the first 15 minutes, or to try to keep possession for the sake of keeping possession, even if it means "progressing" from the edge of the opposition's box back to our keeper, as happened against Burnley last season.  It's not their fault we are bloody awful to watch as well as not getting results.  

If you think the squad is not good enough to achieve the stated aim of European places/top 7 then who's fault is that?   

Gerrard has had time, money and opportunities, yet results and performances are dreadful, fans are losing interest, our image in the media is awful,  and our younger players can't see a pathway into the first team. He's damaging the club on and off the pitch and the sooner he's gone, the sooner we can start to move in the right direction again..    

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Fans can complain about how our club is being managed on message boards and still support the team at Villa Park.

In fact, these people are far more behind the players than they are people who are backing the manager.

This for me, the players have done nothing wrong and just following orders and none are not giving 100 percent. They are being led badly

35 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Do you go to games? Perhaps if you don't like it you should give your ticket to someone who would be more grateful? Just a thought.

Other  have said returned season tickets are not selling - probably not easy to even give them away as who wants to go and watch  dour, boring and incompetent football being served up? 

7 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

Other  have said returned season tickets are not selling - probably not easy to even give them away as who wants to go and watch  dour, boring and incompetent football being served up? 

Exactly one of our mates that comes with us he ain’t been to the last 2 games, as with the travelling to watch the current crap he can’t justify it, neither ticket sold 

I'd have more time for the "he needs time" shouts if there was a an obvious style or philosophy that was trying to be implemented. As far as I can tell though, after having a year to do that he's instead gone backs to the wall in order to cling onto his job. Doesn't exactly convince me personally. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

When most people start out in a new job, it is at a level that match your education and experience. You don’t go from managing the local corner shop to becoming the managing director of Tesco.

Admitting that he made mistake after everybody can see his action resulted in a disaster, is not the same as knowing what he did wrong and how to rectify the mistakes and getting better results going forward. We all know there is an issue in midfield, but he doesn’t make any changes that resolve the issue, but continue with the same players in the same formation. How long should we give him to figure it out? Until we are relegated?

We know Luiz doesn’t believe in him, and refuses to sign a new contract. I’m guessing other player are in the same boat, the will run down their contract and leave for free, but putting in a good enough performance that they have options when they leave. I’m pretty sure Mings isn’t eager to extend his contract. Gerrard would cost us dearly and need to be replaced as soon as possible.

That is fair in some respects. You can fairly question Gerrard's experience and ability level but doesn't mean he can't or won't get better. I am not going to hammer Gerrard for being honest about his mistakes, should he be? Probably not. 

Luiz doesn't believe in Aston Villa if he is not signing a deal imo. So you believe if Gerrard is sacked then Dougie will sign a new deal? I don't think so. Mings has improved since the captaincy has been taken off him imo, I think Gerrard has managed that situation well overall, although I will be lying to say I wasn't concerned at the start. Some of the fan theories on here about Mings and Gerrard ....🤣 Pure fantasy IMO.

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Fans can complain about how our club is being managed on message boards and still support the team at Villa Park.

In fact, these people are far more behind the players than they are people who are backing the manager.

Of course they can. My point is people on here saying - "I am not going to another game until Gerrard is gone" "I have only been to this game...not going back" and the like. That is crap support imo. Just don't go! Actions speak louder than words. 

I am behind everybody at the club. Gerrard failure is Aston Villa's failure. If you are not rooting for Gerrard making us better then you are against Villa imo. All for one and one for all. 

23 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I support my team, I don’t support Gerrard, there is a difference.

Why should I not go because I don’t think he’s good enough, if I give up my season ticket I lose my time with the team, a fan of over 45 years.  Who knows when I will be able to go regularly again because of waiting lists when we fire Gerrard and a decent manager comes in.  It’s the fans club not Gerrard’s, I’ll be a Villa fan long after he’s gone.  If fans aren’t happy they should let it be known.

And that is a bad outlook imo. 

1 minute ago, Villa_Vids said:

Of course they can. My point is people on here saying - "I am not going to another game until Gerrard is gone" "I have only been to this game...not going back" and the like. That is crap support imo. Just don't go! Actions speak louder than words. 

I am behind everybody at the club. Gerrard failure is Aston Villa's failure. If you are not rooting for Gerrard making us better then you are against Villa imo. All for one and one for all. 

I mean be fair, he is literally saying they’re not going to another game, they are staying home…

On the other point, I could say if you’re not upset by the complete lack of progress, the terrible football and concerned about the future of the club because you want to root for Gerrard then you’re against the club.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

And that is a bad outlook imo. 

Why is it? Your telling me your happy with him as manager with the performances on the pitch is nothing short than disgraceful with the players at his disposal

5 hours ago, Pinebro said:

I think Gerrard has set us back for years. 

Signed a bunch of older players with very little resell value and on high wages. 

Will take years for us to recover from this and at that point clubs like Newcastle will be light-years ahead of us. 

This appointment has been absolutely disastrous by every metric. 

No. Losing Jack set us back years. We were a one man team with him, now we don't have that one man any more.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I mean be fair, he is literally saying they’re not going to another game, they are staying home…

On the other point, I could say if you’re not upset by the complete lack of progress, the terrible football and concerned about the future of the club because you want to root for Gerrard then you’re against the club.

Football is subjective so I don't agree with that. Not the same imo as threatening your support - I think that is low. If you are lucky enough to have a season ticket then that is wrong to publicly use your support as a threat. Maybe I am wrong but it is a spoilt brat mentality imo. 

14 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

No. Losing Jack set us back years. We were a one man team with him, now we don't have that one man any more.

You'll see this is wrong when the next manager has us looking 10x better in 6 weeks of training.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pinebro said:

I think Gerrard has set us back for years. 

Signed a bunch of older players with very little resell value and on high wages. 

Will take years for us to recover from this and at that point clubs like Newcastle will be light-years ahead of us. 

This appointment has been absolutely disastrous by every metric. 

I disagree, we've wasted a year but next manager will inherit a core group of Emi-Mings-Carlos-Kamara- Ramsey-Buendia-Bailey and that's not too bad imo to work with for mid table. Plenty of talent in there

Things I'd like the next manager to do is drop McGinn and have a proper defensive axis infront of the back 4. Giving Sanson AND Archer a run of starts would also be very pleasing aswell, stuff that is beyond Gerrard.

Even if results are up and down that will at least show next manager is at least more flexible and willing to try out more things with the squad he inherits. 

Â