Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the only way he becomes liverpool manager is if he swallows his pride and goes cap in hand asking klopp to be part of his backroom staff for the next 4 or 5 years, even then i think klopp says no and klopp isnt there that long anyway

I'm sure Klopp would rather not have his influence there at all.

4 hours ago, romavillan said:

Anyone else notice the goal celebrations from both Bailey and Ings had them pointing to their heads? Might that be a comment on Gerrard? Something about him questioning the players mentality?

Bailey's post match comments about, energy, feeling alive, doing great things in the future too. 72 hours after Gerrard got the boot that's quite telling.

Isn't Bailey's celebration that double point to head thing?  Think I've seen him do it before for us.

Ings' was probably just about calmness taking a penalty (he didn't do the same on his first goal).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, romavillan said:

what was that?

Verified

Yesterday was a huge result after a tough week & a result you fans thoroughly deserved for sticking by us. I also want to show my appreciation to @stevengerrardand his staff for their support. I have a huge, huge amount of respect for the gaffer both as a man and as a coach. I wish you and your staff all the very best in the future 

https://www.instagram.com/tyronemings/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mantis said:

Comparisons to Bruce and Hughes are pointless. As much as I don't rate them (especially Bruce), they still are managers, albeit way past their best. Gerrard just simply isn't a manager. In my head I refuse to even accord him that basic level of respect.

In my experience, if the skipper is willing to push you under the bus in public (as Gerrard had done several times) - I can only imagine what goes on in the dressing room. Players, while multi-millionaires and seemingly unrelatable, are still in a work environment and unless you got the creds to back it up (Fergurson, Mourinho, Pep even), the players aren't going to keep fighting for you if you get berated all day. They'll be professional, but it's all the same, "What are we doing here" kind of energy.

I don't know if that fines list ever ended up being true, but I thought that was a big red flag when I heard about it. Yes, it might have gone too slack during the Smith days, but silly things like fining players for leaving their plates and then having a worst trainer kit is just a toxic work environment.

38 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This blows the narrative that the players " hated him " away to be fair.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkF_4LNrLEu/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

FB_IMG_1666619628516-min.jpg

Think is we always tend to dramatize shit. It might be that they really enjoyed playing for him and really tried to get his and his staffs system to work, but it simply didn't click. It might have been too restrictive or complex or to easy o one-dimensional or simply just not been the thing our lads needed. Sometimes it just doesn't work the way you thought it would, and his methods might not have been very good for what was needed. 

It is what it is, but I doubt it was as bad as we have made it out to be. No matter, he is gone now and we got an excellent reaction from it. Hopefully the team will build on that and our new man is just the ticket for the lads to blossom. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Ings' was probably just about calmness taking a penalty (he didn't do the same on his first goal).

I think it was reference to the little skit where Ashley Young stood on the spot pretending to be taking it whilst getting all the shit and mind games from the Brentford players, then last minute handing the reigns over to Ings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mantis said:

Comparisons to Bruce and Hughes are pointless. As much as I don't rate them (especially Bruce), they still are managers, albeit way past their best. Gerrard just simply isn't a manager. In my head I refuse to even accord him that basic level of respect.

Tim Sherwood without the charisma

• Like 1

Some people probably got on okay with him and some almost certainly didn’t, as with most human beings we don’t appeal to all the people all the time.

Whether they collectively respected him as a Manager I don’t know, the upturn in performance yesterday suggests not but it’s possible some of the players might have put that shift in yesterday ‘for him’, ironically enough.

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Some people probably got on okay with him and some almost certainly didn’t, as with most human beings we don’t appeal to all the people all the time.

Whether they collectively respected him as a Manager I don’t know, the upturn in performance yesterday suggests not but it’s possible some of the players might have put that shift in yesterday ‘for him’, ironically enough.

We had a better shape to us, played our better personnel and played with attacking intent. That's why we played as well as we did, not because people were or were not playing for someone imo. 

It did make me laugh how awkward the pundits looked on MOTD when analysing Sunday's game. They couldn't possibly suggest that their mate Stevie didn't have a clue.

The media can point fingers at the fans all they like, but when the majority of the fanbase is looking at the team selections every week in utter frustration, they can't all be wrong. It's even more interesting when the interim manager plays a formation that the fans were calling for and they end up smashing a pretty solid Brentford team 4-0.

It was obvious weeks ago that the players were sharing the same frustrations as the fans. They looked like they were playing with so much more freedom on Sunday.

4 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

It did make me laugh how awkward the pundits looked on MOTD when analysing Sunday's game. They couldn't possibly suggest that their mate Stevie didn't have a clue.

The media can point fingers at the fans all they like, but when the majority of the fanbase is looking at the team selections every week in utter frustration, they can't all be wrong. It's even more interesting when the interim manager plays a formation that the fans were calling for and they end up smashing a pretty solid Brentford team 4-0.

It was obvious weeks ago that the players were sharing the same frustrations as the fans. They looked like they were playing with so much more freedom on Sunday.

You could see Shearer take that audible breath before saying “but the shape” was different. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He will never manage again.

He can probably get a gig in the championship if he wants to, or maybe back up in Rangers. But he  needs a successful spell to be considered again for a PL job. I just don't think he was ready for it and if it wasn't his name and would have been nowhere near Villa.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Â