Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

You guys are really bringing me down even more than the result warrants.

Hearing you guys talk, it's obvious we will never be able to appoint the right man for the job.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, daft said:

Hearing you guys talk, it's obvious we will never be able to appoint the right man for the job.

We had the right man for where we are, but we thought we were better than him and sacked him. 

Smith had a couple more years at the Villa and should have been replaced only by a significant upgrade, say a Poch or similar. It's bad karma what they did to him. 

• Like 4

There's been much moaning about how predictable this loss was given SG's record at Villa last season - well also last season we often saw enitrely different performances game to game so I expect we will see something much better next match. SG needs to find consistency but he's not in danger of the sack at all.

20 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think any manager is probably only 6 or 7 games away from the sack, regardless of who you manage. 

That being said, I can't see Gerrard being sacked unless we end up losing our first 6 or 7 games, which I don't think we will do. I think we'll be back in the middle of the pack by then. 

We have Everton/Crystal Palace/West Ham/Arsenal/Man City/Leicester coming up.

There are your six games for him to turn it around.

Prior to the Bournemouth loss i would have had us with 3 wins out of that lot including Bournemouth/Everton/Palace.

Considering we didn't beat Bournemouth where are the wins going to come from other than Everton and Palace?

If we don't beat Everton he should be sacked on the spot they are dire.

Edited by AshVilla

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

There's been much moaning about how predictable this loss was given SG's record at Villa last season - well also last season we often saw enitrely different performances game to game so I expect we will see something much better next match. SG needs to find consistency but he's not in danger of the sack at all.

If we don’t get a result against Everton or Palace, then games we would be expected to lose against West Ham, Arsenal and City, it could be middle of September before we get a win. I’d say he’d be in danger of the sack in that scenario.

43 minutes ago, grobs said:

For those thinking he might get sacked in 10 games or so because dean did are crazy. The club didn’t just sign coutinho on obsurd wages for the manager to just him him off at the start of the season

Maybe you're right but a shit show against Everton, similar to the one against Bournemouth, and the Villa Park crowd will start to turn on him.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

If we don't beat Everton he should be sacked on the spot they are dire.

We're not going to sack our manager after 2 games. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

We're not going to sack our manager after 2 games. 

We most likely won’t and it’s probably reasonable to give him some games of the new season.

Still, a manager’s time in charge doesn’t reset to zero at the start of every season. He’s been at Villa for 9 months and two transfer windows.

39 minutes ago, daft said:

I often find VT overly negative - but I think it is warranted on this occasion. 

I think we can appoint the right man for the job (the last appointment went pretty well) - I just don't think we have this time, and the sooner we make amends the better for everyone. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Condimentalist said:

I often find VT overly negative - but I think it is warranted on this occasion. 

I think we can appoint the right man for the job (the last appointment went pretty well) - I just don't think we have this time, and the sooner we make amends the better for everyone. 

I strangely think it's his personality that seems to be rubbing alot of people the wrong way ( obviously as well as results ).

However if he was more of a " likeable " person he might get a bit more empathy and patience from doubters, even through bad results.

Following Deano was always going to be a difficult ask and the only way to rectify that is great results.

Personally I quite like him, but I've seen a couple of potential red flags especially when things aren't going our way.

• Like 2

I'm currently on the fence with Gerrard after supporting him right up to the Man City capitulation last season.

However, if Mings goes my opinion could quickly shift.

I'm currently very concerned that Gerrard could alienate a fair few players in the squad and knacker the morale.

18 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I was never sold on Vlaar, tbh, and I'd take Mings any day. Prime Benteke instead of Ings though? Now we're talking. Delph gets into the current side as well

Delph circa 6/7 seasons ago would walk into this current side. 

He was combative, had a bit of skill, could shoot and did all what you'd want a Midfielder to do. 

Closest we have is Ramsey now but worryingly he's looked bang average Pre-Season and Saturday. 

I'm still as fuming as I was at 5pm Saturday. I can't believe that we were the club who fell for the 'Big name ex-player' crap. I don't care what he did in Scotland, I could coach Celtic or Rangers, spend all their money & win the League, it's a joke of a division. 

The fact his record is close to Sherwood's is highly alarming. At least Sherwood had a bit of personality even though we all knew he didn't have a scooby. 

Gerrard was obviously a top player, but I couldn't stick him. I tried to get behind him last season but it just doesn't feel right, he has no affiliation to our club and I know if he did have us pushing top 6, if Liverpool suddenly got rid of Klopp, Gerrard would be up that M6 with flames coming off his car tires. He can talk all he wants in the press but he's not backing it up by doing his job as a manager. He'd be better off on SkySports with his pals. 

I'd do anything to be able to pluck the next John Gregory or Brian Little out of nowhere to manage us. 

• Like 1

I just don’t know what to say.  I’ll be honest, I’ve had slight concerns over Gerrard but I’ve kind of kept some blind faith about him because constant negativity is tiring. But it ain’t looking great after that first game is it?

Still it’s only one game. Hopefully we get a response against Everton.

Just now, UpTheVilla26 said:

The fact his record is close to Sherwood's is highly alarming. At least Sherwood had a bit of personality even though we all knew he didn't have a scooby. 

I think the Sherwood stats don't tell the whole story. His tenure started well, then dropped off an absolute cliff. We're in poor form now, but when Sherwood was sacked, we'd lost 6 on the bounce with no win in 9, and left us 19th in the table in October. Things are nowhere near that bad with Gerrard 

• Like 2

Just now, Davkaus said:

I think the Sherwood stats don't tell the whole story. His tenure started well, then dropped off an absolute cliff. We're in poor form now, but when Sherwood was sacked, we'd lost 6 on the bounce with no win in 9, and left us 19th in the table in October. Things are nowhere near that bad with Gerrard 

Yet... 

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I strangely think it's his personality that seems to be rubbing alot of people the wrong way ( obviously as well as results ).

However if he was more of a " likeable " person he might get a bit more empathy and patience from doubters, even through bad results.

Following Deano was always going to be a difficult ask and the only way to rectify that is great results.

Personally I quite like him, but I've seen a couple of potential red flags especially when things aren't going our way.

It's not strange, I don't think; people don't care about personality when the results are good. Nobody liked Bruce but when he came in and we started winning games again, it was tolerated. When he screwed things up, people turned quickly. Personality only comes into play when the chips are down - 'yeah, he's going through a bad patch, but do we even like him on a human level?' If the answer's no, then, he's not going to get much support. Gerrard is not a likable person to many and the results are shit - it's fairly straightforward why this is happening. 

Is it the self-confidence that you like about him? 

• Like 1

Â