Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m not bothered by the team he picks. I think we have a good squad so whatever team is put out there should be able to do a job. 

My biggest concern is how clueless we looked in breaking Bournemouth down. 

Isnt that on the manager and the fact he has no playing structure.

People on here called it out in pre season and were laughed at as being dramatic. Now it's not a joke

25 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

When he came in, I didn't really think of his past much, I just thought what a player he was, an that he had big potential as a manager taking rangers to the title. He also talked a good game with a top coach at hand in Beale. Well with Beale looking like a bit of a fraud at his new club, Gerrard is starting to look like the scouse, arrogant, ex Liverpool player I didn't want to remember.

Gerrard arriving with Beale as his mastermind was worrying me already back then. Coaches having different strengths sounds good in theory, but I’d still like the main man to have clear ideas of his own about how to set up a team.

Gerrard taking a coordinator role as manager makes him look a bit like a shell to me, a well known name and face.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Like 1

My biggest problem continues to be his petty temperament. Sulking on the bench when the chips are down; implying Mings hasn’t got the fight to play in public; snapping at a journalist for suggesting coutinho was out of position.

the guy’s a sensitive schmuck who will likely be either in the lower leagues or a crappy pundit in 2-3 years time

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

My biggest problem continues to be his petty temperament. Sulking on the bench when the chips are down; implying Mings hasn’t got the fight to play in public; snapping at a journalist for suggesting coutinho was out of position.

the guy’s a sensitive schmuck who will likely be either in the lower leagues or a crappy pundit in 2-3 years time

That's what happens when people have been blowing smoke up your ass your whole life. You would think he was Pirlo or Zidane the way the English media went on about him.

39 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

This is going to be our problem all season 

Ery interesting. I'm starting to understand what people are on about regarding Gerrard now. I missed much of last season, but indications are that he truly lacks a tactical lens to use. 

Troubling. Hope for improvement soon of course.

55 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

That's what happens when people have been blowing smoke up your ass your whole life. You would think he was Pirlo or Zidane the way the English media went on about him.

Well him being English and all.... It probably makes sense?

How many midfielders have the English had better than him in modern history?

I get that people are annoyed with / don't rate him as a manager/person, but I find that negativity spilling over into questioning his pedigree as a player a little bit more than disengenuous.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Here are his actual numbers. 

image.png.bfc07d46fdb465ebdfdce27c9580b987.png

Win percentages, for mine, are a bit misleading: It doesn't separate losses from draws.

If we look at loss percentages - that is, where you failed to pick up a point - the table would look like this (the higher the percentage, the worse you are)

Paul Lambert: 47.82%

Tim Sherwood: 57.14%

Remi Garde: 56.52%

Roberto Di Matteo: 33.33%

Steve Bruce: 30.39%

Dean Smith: 38.05%

Steven Gerrard: 52.38%

Not good reading for Gerrard - only Sherwood and Garde failed harder.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well him being English and all.... It probably makes sense?

How many midfielders have the English had better than him in modern history?

I get that people are annoyed with / don't rate him as a manager, but I find that negativity spilling over into questioning his pedigree as a player a little bit more than disengenuous.

I've contested his pedigree as a player while he was still playing mate, trust me. He was a 100 mph explosive player that the English loved. He was not as adept at controlling games from midfield, kind of like our JJ actually. No surprise his best run of form came playing further up supporting Fernando Torres with Mascherano and Xabi Alonso taking care of the defensive and possession aspects behind him. I don't think he was ever in that world elite category.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

That can't be right can it? We won his first 4 matches (IIRC?) which skews his win percentage massively. But surely we've won more than 4 games since then?

This is the updated win rate

Aston Villa 11 November 2021 Present 29 10 5 14

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I've contested his pedigree as a player while he was still playing mate, trust me. He was a 100 mph explosive player that the English loved. He was not as adept at controlling games from midfield, kind of like our JJ actually. No surprise his best run of form came playing further up supporting Fernando Torres with Mascherano and Xabi Alonso taking care of the defensive and possession aspects behind him. I don't think he was ever in that world elite category.

Without going off topic he was good but very overrated as a player and why he stayed at mostly mid table Liverpool for his entire peak instead of going to a team like Madrid or Barcelona or Milan

Dont mention loyalty as we know he wanted out in 2005 until he was threatened

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Without going off topic he was good but very overrated as a player and why he stayed at mostly mid table Liverpool for his entire peak instead of going to a team like Madrid or Barcelona or Milan

Dont mention loyalty as we know he wanted out in 2005 until he was threatened

Yeah I don't want to go off topic, just wanted to offer an explanation why he is the way he is with the press.

22 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Win percentages, for mine, are a bit misleading: It doesn't separate losses from draws.

If we look at loss percentages - that is, where you failed to pick up a point - the table would look like this (the higher the percentage, the worse you are)

Paul Lambert: 47.82%

Tim Sherwood: 57.14%

Remi Garde: 56.52%

Roberto Di Matteo: 33.33%

Steve Bruce: 30.39%

Dean Smith: 38.05%

Steven Gerrard: 52.38%

Not good reading for Gerrard - only Sherwood and Garde failed harder.

Loss percentages are misleading for the very same reason, it doesn't separate wins from draws.

He’s a stubborn pr*ck… I really can’t see much changing and he’ll just continue to make the same shit decisions and play the same players… he’s too pig headed.

As long as he keeps playing McGinn and Ramsey, we’re never going to improve in the way that we need to. Appointing John captain is an utter disaster.

Midfield is a mess. We can’t control possession or dictate play (what even is our build up play or pattern of play? Just Cash and Digne send in aimless crosses to nobody?). What is he trying to do?

Are there any signs of hope or encouragement? I can’t see the light…

Maybe if he keeps splashing the cash… 🤦‍♂️🙄

• Like 2

Â