Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think the Sherwood stats don't tell the whole story. His tenure started well, then dropped off an absolute cliff. We're in poor form now, but when Sherwood was sacked, we'd lost 6 on the bounce with no win in 9, and left us 19th in the table in October. Things are nowhere near that bad with Gerrard 

Look at the losses though they were nearly all by the odd goal with a lot of shit in the squad

This is worse, i cant see the next win

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's not strange, I don't think; people don't care about personality when the results are good. Nobody liked Bruce but when he came in and we started winning games again, it was tolerated. When he screwed things up, people turned quickly. Personality only comes into play when the chips are down - 'yeah, he's going through a bad patch, but do we even like him on a human level?' If the answer's no, then, he's not going to get much support. Gerrard is not a likable person to many and the results are shit - it's fairly straightforward why this is happening. 

Is it the self-confidence that you like about him? 

Which is why I think Gerrard is done for. A run of bad games, even after a decent run, will have the knives out again in no time. 

1 minute ago, daft said:

Which is why I think Gerrard is done for. A run of bad games, even after a decent run, will have the knives out again in no time. 

The hallmarks are already there:

Bad performances, bad results, bizarre decisions (captaincy, match day lineups), snapping at the press and alienating players. 

It's likely only a matter of time.

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Bad performances, bad results, bizarre decisions (captaincy, match day lineups), snapping at the press and alienating players. 

Snapping at the fans is next

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's not locked in, but I agree with you.

A couple of strong performances against Everton and Palace and things quieten down for a few weeks. We play like we did against Bournemouth though, and the crowd turns and I don't see him lasting the month. 

I laughed at the idea of someone calling Bournemouth a "must win", and Everton isn't either, not for our season. It may well be for Gerrard though.

10 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

That can't be right can it? We won his first 4 matches (IIRC?) which skews his win percentage massively. But surely we've won more than 4 games since then?

The original post seems to have moved, but I can see Gerrard having a very similar record to Sherwood when he gets the boot. 

Assume by some miracle we beat Everton, we might sneak another win against Palace or West Ham... but as we don't draw 4 of our next 6 fixtures are likely to be losses.

That would put him on an identical record to Sherwood.

He really needs to get a song out of our players in the next game before it's too late. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

There's a 5 week break in December, with a transfer window just after. There will the biggest of managerial merry-go-rounds in October / November. I hasten to add, if we are bottom half come then, Gerrard will be off. If a world class manager like Poch indicates her might be interested then that could be sooner. 

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

A couple of strong performances against Everton and Palace and things quieten down for a few weeks. We play like we did against Bournemouth though, and the crowd turns and I don't see him lasting the month. 

I laughed at the idea of someone calling Bournemouth a "must win", and Everton isn't either, not for our season. It may well be for Gerrard though.

Yeah 100% - it would be a lot easier for us if he did turn it around. It's just that he has even more to turn around now than he did at the start of his tenure and a lot of it is down to him. 

1 minute ago, pas5898 said:

There's a 5 week break in December, with a transfer window just after. There will the biggest of managerial merry-go-rounds in October / November. I hasten to add, if we are bottom half come then, Gerrard will be off. If a world class manager like Poch indicates her might be interested then that could be sooner. 

Yeah, it's why we have to act fast. If Poch is interested now, we should get him immediately because we won't be the best option for him for very long. 

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I just can't see a scenario where Poch would entertain joining us. Even for a £20m a year salary. 

Fair point, but then again we've punched above by getting Coutinho (yes I know he's been poor), and beaten the likes of Athletico Madrid to Kamara. The power of the Purslow Power Point Presentation seems to be strong. 

Edited by pas5898
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Think if Gerrard goes the chances are the season will be write-off regardless. Unless we get a Gregory type new manager bounce which are few and far between these days. 

8 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I just can't see a scenario where Poch would entertain joining us. Even for a £20m a year salary. 

He could see us as another Spurs scenario to rebuild his reputation. Our squad is actually better than the Spurs one he inherited, and with full support from the board (unlike at Spurs where he once went 18 months without signing a single player), and without the massive expectations from the fans of the bigger clubs, who knows? I guess it depends on how fast he thinks he can get this team winning trophies, but hopefully he's already scratched that itch at PSG 

43 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Is it the self-confidence that you like about him? 

Perhaps, but there is a thin line between " self confidence " , " inflated ego " and " delusion " . The longer things negatively persist whilst sticking to the same guns, the more the pendulum will appear to lean to the latter.

( Also always loved him as a player and strong character )

I always tell people that funnily enough, I also loved Tim Sherwood 🤣

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Perhaps, but their is a thin line between " self confidence " , " inflated ego " and " delusion " . The longer things negatively persist whilst sticking to the same guns, the more the pendulum will appear to lean to the latter.

I remembered, which is the main reason why I was asking the question. 🙂

He wasn't a player I liked, let alone loved, and I can't stand arrogance. Wasn't ever going to work out for me, was it? 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

he's getting booed off if he doesnt beat everton

i dont think it will take long for the boo boys to be out, this team is showing absolutely nothing

Yeah he needs a massive reaction from the team in the next game, this first game of the season has cranked up the pressure already after a disappointing finish to last season. If we see another limp performance and defeat against Everton then Gerrard will be right up against it already.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Perhaps, but their is a thin line between " self confidence " , " inflated ego " and " delusion " . The longer things negatively persist whilst sticking to the same guns, the more the pendulum will appear to lean to the latter.

I think this is the thing with these types of personalities. When they talk they give everyone the impression that they know what they are doing and assure people that it's only a matter of time before it clicks. It's all a con to distract people from seeing their own failings. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Made In Aston said:

I think this is the thing with these types of personalities. When they talk they give everyone the impression that they know what they are doing and assure people that it's only a matter of time before it clicks. It's all a con to distract people from seeing their own failings. 

See also Conor McGregor, Boris Johnson, Trump etc.

Â