Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, maqroll said:

People are in Dreamland if they think Gerrard is going to be sacked anytime before October. 

Sadly, that would be enough time to torpedo our season. 

But Purslow is personally invested in Gerrard and he will give him a long leash.

The only thing that could shift the pieces around would be fan pressure which is already percolating after just one game. 

As I said above, I don't really think it matters. Sure, there is a slim possibility a new guy COULD have a kick-ass season if we throw SG out today, but what are the odds of that? Pretty slim realistically. He would need time.

Also, if DS was so **** good and replaced with a turd like SG, what on earth possesses us to believe that our owners are capable of upgrading? The handling of that must have been the worst cock up in decades, and if it is, we must start asking serious questions if the ownership really can make us take the next step.

We really can't have it both ways. 

2 minutes ago, daft said:

As I said above, I don't really think it matters. Sure, there is a slim possibility a new guy COULD have a kick-ass season if we throw SG out today, but what are the odds of that? Pretty slim realistically. He would need time.

Also, if DS was so **** good and replaced with a turd like SG, what on earth possesses us to believe that our owners are capable of upgrading? The handling of that must have been the worst cock up in decades, and if it is, we must start asking serious questions if the ownership really can make us take the next step.

Purslow making football related decisions will always be a problem. What we can hope for is that he picks a good manager by accident next time.

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

Purslow making football related decisions will always be a problem. What we can hope for is that he picks a good manager by accident next time.

Oh God, you're going to make me cry. We're ****.

Needs to put Mings back in the team but he can't because he's backed himself into a corner.

Needs to drop Coutinho and play Emi but he can't because he's brought his mate in and promised to play him.

Needs to drop McGinn because he's the biggest liability on the pitch but he can't because he's given him the captains armband.

We will be going into Everton with 25% of the team not in there on merit because this clown show likes to look like the big man.

Everton is a must win and I don't want him sacked off after 1 game, its after a consistent string of rewarding players that don't deserve it , nonsensical decisions, horrible selections, horrible subs and continually making the same , the exact same mistakes.

The guy is so far out of his depth.

Why is here?!

• Like 3

For a while now ( and all through pre-season ) SG has been saying that the team are in a good place now.That the new players have bedded in nicely.That the whole outfit has bonded really well on the tour of Astralia and he wanted the new signings in early,so that we could hit the field running.

And after all that we lose 2-0 to a team that were in the Championship last year and looking at the way we played that result was flattering to us.

I was 110% behind SG but after all that verbal dioreea and the result,and the way we played on saturday,he will now have to start fromscratch for me and actually prove that he is a decent manager.

Its starting to feel a little inevitable. 

the same persistent issues. The ridiculous comments in the press. 

That feel good factor we had previously seems non existent anymore. 

I'm fully expecting Gerrard to switch to a front 2 and then if that works stick with it till it doesn't or we'll change again. 

I really wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the year he still doesn't know the formation or players he thinks are best. 

11 minutes ago, daft said:

Tbf though Gerrard is making several obvious mistakes which could be rectified almost immediately. That would give us one hell of a fighting chance to produce a lot better than we are at the moment.

He said we controlled the game and didn’t do much wrong… what the hell is he on?

We are taking a massive risk by sticking with him and potentially wasting yet another season and, worse, regressing further. We could be left too far behind…

I don’t see the ambition that the club likes to bleat about… there are no signs of encouragement on the pitch whatsoever…

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yep they did but I think "scared" teams play really high percentage simple nothing 5 to 10 yard passes 

Not really seen a breakdown as to why we gave the ball away so much, if we were playing low percentage riskier passes, if no one was showing or if it was simply just sloppy, probably a mixture of the last two

Not showing could be a case of laziness or hiding cos they don't want the ball so scared in that sense might be true 

And not showing and having shit movement has plagued villa for far too long now

We're fundamentally a counter-attacking team, that's why we lose the ball so much. This is why Mcginn is so important, he's the guy that essentially starts our counters. And also why he seems to lose the ball so much.

Bournemouth was different though. It was us trying to implement a possession game but failing to do so. We couldn't break Bournemouth down and they just let us have the ball and hit us on the counter. The endless amounts of crosses was just desperation from us because we couldn't get the ball into the box otherwise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

He said we controlled the game and didn’t do much wrong… what the hell is he on?

We are taking a massive risk by sticking with him and potentially wasting yet another season and, worse, regressing further. We could be left too far behind…

I don’t see the ambition that the club likes to bleat about… there are no signs of encouragement on the pitch whatsoever…

Well, we did dominate possession, had a better pass completion rate, but our finishing, movement and shape were awful. So we did a fair few things wrong I think even if you could claim we 'dominated' through possession and sheer number of shots loosely aimed goalwards. 

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

I genuinely think some people are losing their minds due to an irrational hatred of Gerrard for the simple reason he replaced saint dean smith. 

People aren't 'losing their minds' due to an irrational hatred of Gerrard. 

People are losing them because of the shocking decisions & total lack of progression we have seen since he's been given the job. 

I can't stick Gerrard, but if what I saw us doing as team was half decent I'd say fair play. 

It isn't half decent, it is crap and for that he takes the blame. He's had 2 transfer windows, over half a season and a full Pre-Season and I see no improvement - if anything we look worse - than under previous management. He seems totally devoid of any idea except to try to implement the useless tactic he's obsessed with, yet keeps telling anyone that will listen he doesn't have the players for.

Add in the whole Captaincy debacle, playing players woefully out of form, leaving our most naturally gifted player out the starting 11 every week, I think people are well within their right to be on his back and questioning what he's actually trying to achieve. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I have been saying for weeks that this will be another wasted season and is sadly looking that way

18 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Get rid of this clown. Even if he meant we didn’t cross the ball “well” who were we crossing it to and why were we continually doing it against a side that was obviously bigger and better in the air? We don’t commit enough players forward anyway and our CF is rarely in a good position in the box (usually ambling around on the wing) and struggles to finish anyway…

With the technical players we have in this squad, we should be an excellent passing team that is a genuine threat to anyone we face.

He has implemented NOTHING, and I am sick of it.

You are right. The tactics are more to blame than a lack of crossing quality. It was a dumb tactical  decision and even if the crossing was bad, it was coming, in part, from his French international signing. Maybe we need a brazilian international full back, as these French just don't have the quality it seems 😏

Edited by Made In Aston

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I have been saying for weeks that this will be another wasted season and is sadly looking that way

It's a bad time to be treading water.

I can see teams like Newcastle e.t.c overtaking us while this clown is in charge.

I honestly believe that he rates himself that highly, that he thought he'd come here, propel us into top 10, then in 2 years swan off to his beloved Liverpool and be the hero once again. 

What I'm seeing from him, is in 2 years time, he will be lucky to get the job at Tranmere Rovers. 

I also think he sees himself as a bit 'old school'. Show the players who's boss etc... by making big decisions. Unfortunately for him, the players know nowadays, if the results aren't good enough, it's not them being sacked, it's the manager. It just don't work, we saw that with Keane & Culverhouse in their time here, they were 'bullies' and it ended one way. 

I am clinging onto the hope our owners are very wise, shrewd and above all successful. They won't stand back and watch this shitshow develop longer than it needs to. I am seriously worried about this season on the back of Saturday because if that's the best you can come up with after a full Pre-Season, then we are in trouble. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

If we are in the bottom 3 at the WC break he will have to go, the problem then would be could we get anyone in?....bottom 3 not an attractive proposition

Performance on Saturday is a continuation from last season so forget judging him on one game...I would give him the next 3 games min 5 points anything less and here is your P45

They absolutely will not wait that long. He has 5 games. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, daft said:

Well, we did dominate possession, had a better pass completion rate, but our finishing, movement and shape were awful. So we did a fair few things wrong I think even if you could claim we 'dominated' through possession and sheer number of shots loosely aimed goalwards. 

We didn’t dominate shit. They got their goal and were happy to sit back as much as they wanted/needed. We offered no threat, no invention, no imagination, no creativity. No passing patterns or patterns of play. Completely aimless shite with no idea or sense…

The opposition letting you have the ball because you’re useless with it is not dominating… it’s pointing out how poor a side you are… we can’t even do anything effective with the ball when we’re allowed to have it. It’s all on the manager,  what kind of coaching and instructions do these players receive???

If we’d come up against a better side (of which there are many) we would’ve been torn to shreds and further embarrassed… maybe SG’s position would’ve been untenable then. His record here has been dire.

• Like 4

Â