Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

If we are in the bottom 3 at the WC break he will have to go, the problem then would be could we get anyone in?....bottom 3 not an attractive proposition

Performance on Saturday is a continuation from last season so forget judging him on one game...I would give him the next 3 games min 5 points anything less and here is your P45

On 07/08/2022 at 17:05, villa4europe said:

I think scared is the wrong word, a team playing scared don't give the ball away 78 times in the first half or whatever daft it was 

That is exactly what they do.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Worst case scenario - he plays the same shape and team against Everton in a defeat, followed by a defeat in what is a tricky game away at Palace, then arrives at Villa Park for the game against West Ham having announced the signing of Ross Barkley.

I think that would probably do it.

Let's hope that plays out so we can get someone decent in and get our season started.

• Confused 1

I dont want him sacked at all, I also dont want him sacked on the back of one game.

However, based on last seasons formations/peformances, the questions remained of whether it would work and whether he could get the best out of the players we have/bring in.

If the answers to those remain no which they currently are he will have to go, just remains how long it has to remain no for. 

Even if you remain convinced of Gerrard's abilities you have to expect him to be under pressure. Looking back to January our record is

Brentford (A) - Loss

Manchester United (A) (FA Cup) - Loss

Manchester United (H) - Draw

Everton (A) - Win

Leeds (H) - Draw

Newcastle (A) - Loss

Watford (H) - Loss

Brighton (A) - Win

Soton (A) - Win

Leeds (A) - Win

West Ham (A) - Loss

Arsenal (H) - Loss

Wolves (A) - Loss

Spurs (H) - Loss

Leicester (A) - Draw

Norwich (H) - Win

Burnley (A) - Win

Liverpool (H) - Loss

Palace (H) - Draw

Burnley (H) - Draw

Citeh (A) - Loss

Bournemouth (A) - Loss

It ain't great reading, and there's a few embarrassments or collapses in there.

Just now, Mantis said:

You hope we lose the next two games and sign a crap player?

Very bizarre.

Minus signing Barkley, yes. Gerrard winning two games would just be papering over the cracks.

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

That is exactly what they do.

Yep they did but I think "scared" teams play really high percentage simple nothing 5 to 10 yard passes 

Not really seen a breakdown as to why we gave the ball away so much, if we were playing low percentage riskier passes, if no one was showing or if it was simply just sloppy, probably a mixture of the last two

Not showing could be a case of laziness or hiding cos they don't want the ball so scared in that sense might be true 

And not showing and having shit movement has plagued villa for far too long now

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Minus signing Barkley, yes. Gerrard winning two games would just be papering over the cracks.

This sort of comment is absolutely mental. I've been given warnings on VT for less. 

• Like 1

Just now, Don_Simon said:

This sort of comment is absolutely mental. I've been given warnings on VT for less. 

I honestly don't get what the surprise is.

If Gerrard somehow scrapes some results and stays on, his style is not one I enjoy, his personality is something I'm liking less and less, and his decision making is consistently baffling. So why would I not be happy to put up with three defeats (extreme short term) to get someone of a good calibre in, who can ensure we have a much better season (mid term) and much better longer term? By playing our best players in their best roles?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

The original post seems to have moved, but I can see Gerrard having a very similar record to Sherwood when he gets the boot. 

Assume by some miracle we beat Everton, we might sneak another win against Palace or West Ham... but as we don't draw 4 of our next 6 fixtures are likely to be losses.

That would put him on an identical record to Sherwood.

He really needs to get a song out of our players in the next game before it's too late. 

And like Sherwood, his win percentage/points per game is massively inflated by a winning run from the new manager bounce. Huge similarities definitely 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I honestly don't get what the surprise is.

If Gerrard somehow scrapes some results and stays on, his style is not one I enjoy, his personality is something I'm liking less and less, and his decision making is consistently baffling. So why would I not be happy to put up with three defeats (extreme short term) to get someone of a good calibre in, who can ensure we have a much better season (mid term) and much better longer term? By playing our best players in their best roles?

You are even more of a cynic than me! 

Cracks won't be papered over. Sooner or later reality would catch up with him if he is as useless as people claim. 7th will be a massive ask even if we toss him out in the next hour or so. If he's that crap we just have to settle for performing next season so we have ample time finding a new guy and letting him settle in with a clear system and philosophy. That isn't done overnight even if it' a good one. And we really don't have a very good track record appointing excellent managers tbf. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Condimentalist said:

I often find VT overly negative - but I think it is warranted on this occasion. 

I think we can appoint the right man for the job (the last appointment went pretty well) - I just don't think we have this time, and the sooner we make amends the better for everyone. 

People are in Dreamland if they think Gerrard is going to be sacked anytime before October. 

Sadly, that would be enough time to torpedo our season. 

But Purslow is personally invested in Gerrard and he will give him a long leash.

The only thing that could shift the pieces around would be fan pressure which is already percolating after just one game. 

12 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Wolves, to begin with.

There is no top 7 or top 8. There are 6 big clubs, and a whole lot of midtable teams aiming for Europe.

Wolves were 10th last season :P 

Â