Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

16 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I’m still pissed and I can’t shake the feeling… I’m a 'find the positives in a bad situation' type of person but what were the positives? Ok Kamara showed what he can do and Bailey was the best of the rest in the first half. But what else? If I lost my memory and watched yesterday I would think we still had Bruce running the ship.

Yesterday just felt toxic, with the responsibility falling on the manager. The Mings situation, Sanson (although could’ve handled it a bit better but I can understand his frustration) situation, the talk about showing you want to fight for the shirt but then hands it to players who didn’t really show much in preseason and the supposed snapping at journalist for asking a simple question. It’s reading that we have issues internally that need to be fixed asap if we even want to finish in the top 10.

I know he’s clear of Gerrard, but seeing Conte’s post game interview was telling. He said you can see the progress they’ve made in 7 months and it’s true. I know they have better players but Spurs are showing everyone how they’ve got better from just buying into his philosophy. I still can’t tell you what ours is.

What was the snapping at a journalist? And what was the question?

Putting my optimist's cap on (and I really am quite pessimistic at the moment overall), could it not just be that it was a combination of a bad day at the office combined with being completely thrown by the early goal? Obviously the fact that we crumble after conceding first is an issue of itself, but I just can't believe that that's how we'll look all season. We did play some good stuff under Gerrard at times last season.

Just now, Mantis said:

Putting my optimist's cap on (and I really am quite pessimistic at the moment overall), could it not just be that it was a combination of a bad day at the office combined with being completely thrown by the early goal? Obviously the fact that we crumble after conceding first is an issue of itself, but I just can't believe that that's how we'll look all season. We did play some good stuff under Gerrard at times last season.

You can't have 6 wins in 23 as a bad day at the office as previous form has indicated we are poor

As for the football Bruce, Lambert and McLeish played better than the crap currently served. Its the worst I have seen with quality of players he has

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Xela said:

I like to give managers time. Perhaps that makes me different from a lot of posters, but calling for a managers head after one game of a new season is too soon for me. 

I think we were ok in patches last year, some games we played very well, others poorly and we ended up roughly where we should have after the dismal start to the season we had. It wasn't pretty at times but he did ok and definitely deserved to be in charge at the start of this season. I think he did a good job at Rangers. People talk about a 2 horse race but Celtic were well ahead when he took over and he did go the season undefeated, which is a big ask in any league. He also did well in Europe for them 

A full pre-season, more signings and I went into this season very optimistic. We'll learn more after the next 4 or 5 games to see whether the opening game is a sign of things to come.  

This is where I am at. I think of Arsenal's start last season vs where they finished. There certainly needs to be some signs of progress, and continually seeing the same mistakes on the pitch (or with selection) brings our weaknesses in to further relief.

Like everyone, I'd like to see some personnel and tactical changes against Everton, but more than that I want to see the players going at it with a determination and resolve that shows us they want to win. It is up to the manager to make that happen and if he continues to fail in that regard I don't see him being here for all that long.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Not likely but maybe possible? I’m hanging on to similar thoughts just so I can still be excited for the next few games.

8 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I've just never warmed to him and he's a very easy person to dislike frankly. 

Captaincy issue handled poorly

The training ground fines sat uneasy with me

His response of "I'll just get rid of the players who aren't good and buy other ones" rather than admit any fault on his part towards the end of last season

His shithousery in front of Everton fans showed he can be a bad winner as well as a bad loser.

Having it widely reported that your backroom staff are the reason for your success. 

Being pals with Purslow 

You do realise that it was confirmed the training ground fines were from last year under Smith. That said  he isnt doing well in any area apart from player purchases

Problem is people are starting to see right through Gerrard. His snarky remarks towards journos when it's not going his way, his terrible decision making, people will be losing respect for him and sharpish. His words can only do so much.

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Carragher will without doubt blame individual players, our fans and even the owners before he’ll criticise Gerrard. All the while being secretly relieved that this is our experiment not Liverpools.

He wasnt backed will be the reason even if its very wrong. Then it will be that the fans are fickle and just like Bruce we didnt give him a chance

13 minutes ago, skarroki said:

His response of "I'll just get rid of the players who aren't good and buy other ones" rather than admit any fault on his part towards the end of last season

While this concerns me, it's not his attitude that bothers me so much as the club hierarchy being willing to go along with it.

Things that I’m hanging on to, praying that things will turn out better. The negatives have been stated here by me and others so I won’t list them.

1) The effect of Critchley has still to be seen. Missed parts of the pre season and by all accounts he’s an excellent coach.

2) Our signings look good and we’re probably not done in the transfer market.

3) It’s still just one match in a new season. There is plenty of time left. Of course we need to look at the whole picture and he’s had plenty of time so the negativity here is certainly not based just on one game.

4) Arsenal last season. Started horribly and I watched their performances at least for the first two matches and there was very little sign that they would turn it around.

Clutching at straws, I’m not confident at all that things will change for the better but I need the hope.

• Like 1

I doubt he can turn it around.  Let’s say we beat Everton 1-0 but still play similar to yesterday.  That’s not good enough and is just papering over the cracks.  

We need to see that Gerrard can tactically manage a PL team and so far he hasnt shown that in 7 months.  

Time for excuses is over.  Batter Everton tactically (not necessarily in score) and he gets a reprieve for now.  Play like against Bournemouth and he might as well leave the same day.

35 minutes ago, KitKat said:

This is where I am at. I think of Arsenal's start last season vs where they finished. There certainly needs to be some signs of progress, and continually seeing the same mistakes on the pitch (or with selection) brings our weaknesses in to further relief.

Like everyone, I'd like to see some personnel and tactical changes against Everton, but more than that I want to see the players going at it with a determination and resolve that shows us they want to win. It is up to the manager to make that happen and if he continues to fail in that regard I don't see him being here for all that long.

I'm happy to give him more time but also can't see whats going to click that makes it all work. 

• Like 1

After yesterday I think the fans who was on the fence with him have certainly gone to the out side, I couldn’t even tell you what kind of football he’s trying to play, at least with smith we had a game plan with gerrard it’s just a mess compounded with him putting McGinn as Captain he should be no where near the starting 11

Edited by rbcuk

Gerrard buys the players, selects the team and chooses the tactics yet when it all goes pear shaped (2 wins in 12) he throws his players under the bus! Time for him to go before our season is ruined!

Â