Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

16 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

All parts of this are oversimplistic. High turnover of players is unlikely to foster team spirit.

I’m not against selling players if they underperform over a long period or become complacent/arrogant/toxic and I don’t think we should keep fringe players on high wages but I also think we should value those who genuinely care about our club, put in huge amounts of effort, are positive dressing room influences, are fine ambassadors for us. Treating players like they’re commodities to be disposed of at the drop of the hat will not breed a good culture at the club.

I don't think SG will do any of that.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I don't think SG will do any of that.

I've often thought that the reason managers seem to be good for a few years then drop off is the opposite of that, I think managers develop favourites naturally based on previous performances and general trust in a player and then they are reluctant to replace them precisely because they don't see them as simple commodities. 

New manager comes in, spends the next few years (hopefully) replacing some of the weaker players with better ones (in our case thinking of the likes of Watkins, McGinn, Mings, probably Buendia moving forward, who Dean would have really struggled to move on from), we improve, but this new manager develops their own favourites in this time meaning they struggle to improve the squad past a certain point, form dips, they get sacked, new manager comes in and does the same thing. 

That's why IMO Sir Alex was so special. He was never afraid to sell his favourites and bring in new players, he managed to keep that team fresh and motivated for decades.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JPJCB said:

Good post. I was speaking to a Liverpool fan at work who noted the positional sense of the CMs sounded exactly like how Klopp likes to play- e.g they take up full back positions when TAA and Robertson go forward. Seems like Klopp may have been the biggest influence tactically on gerrard compared to his other managers he played for 

How many seasons did Gerrard have with Klopp?

4 hours ago, Kingman said:

How many seasons did Gerrard have with Klopp?

Zero as player, he was working with the U18 team for 2.5 seasons after Klopp arrived so guess he would have met Him on a regular basis.

Edited by sne

3 hours ago, sne said:

Zero as player, he was working with the U18 team for 2.5 seasons after Klopp arrived so guess he would have met Him on a regular basis.

Was 1 and 1/2 years at Liverpool under Klopp managing the U18 and U19s. He would have absorbed a lot of knowledge from Klopp who would want the youth teams playing and coached in a similar way to the First Team. Brendan Rogers, Rafa Benitez, Gerard Houlier the other successful managers he played under and would have learnt from. 

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Was 1 and 1/2 years at Liverpool under Klopp managing the U18 and U19s. He would have absorbed a lot of knowledge from Klopp who would want the youth teams playing and coached in a similar way to the First Team. Brendan Rogers, Rafa Benitez, Gerard Houlier the other successful managers he played under and would have learnt from. 

I don't think he tries to copy Klopp.

Very much his own man.

Yes the formation is the same but it just so happens 4-3-3 with 2 box to box midfielders and a DM is the top tier system these days.

3 hours ago, sne said:

I believe he was only at Liverpool (as a coach) from the start of 2017 until he got the Rangers job in April 2018. Initially, he was youth coach and then became u18 coach in April 2017. 

3 hours ago, peterw said:

We weren't suddenly a squad that was staring relegation in the face

We averaged 1.1 points per game between Jan 2021 and Nov 2021. You are correct, we weren't suddenly a squad starting relegation in the face, we had relegation form for the best part of a year

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

We averaged 1.1 points per game between Jan 2021 and Nov 2021. You are correct, we weren't suddenly a squad starting relegation in the face, we had relegation form for the best part of a year

Whilst not trying to defend the form because it was poor. 1.1 per game would give you 42 points and only 1 team in the history of the league has been relegated with that total. 

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't think he tries to copy Klopp.

Very much his own man.

Yes the formation is the same but it just so happens 4-3-3 with 2 box to box midfielders and a DM is the top tier system these days.

Yet not many top teams play it 😂😂

14 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

they’ve forgotten how to formulate  questions. 

That’s certainly the case for the guy who didn’t have a question towards the end. Surely you have a couple of questions, no matter how benal that you can throw in. “Does your wife like The Bullring”, sort of nonsense. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

That’s certainly the case for the guy who didn’t have a question towards the end. Surely you have a couple of questions, no matter how benal that you can throw in. “Does your wife like The Bullring”, sort of nonsense. 

Nope, he was better asking nothing than asking something rubbish. I think the next guy asks what pleased him most about the two wins to which he basically had to repeat everything he’d said before. Tbf I think it’s a rough deal getting to ask the last questions at a press conference, unless you’ve got something v specific to ask. Most stuff will have been covered already. 

10 hours ago, weedman said:

I've often thought that the reason managers seem to be good for a few years then drop off is the opposite of that, I think managers develop favourites naturally based on previous performances and general trust in a player and then they are reluctant to replace them precisely because they don't see them as simple commodities. 

New manager comes in, spends the next few years (hopefully) replacing some of the weaker players with better ones (in our case thinking of the likes of Watkins, McGinn, Mings, probably Buendia moving forward, who Dean would have really struggled to move on from), we improve, but this new manager develops their own favourites in this time meaning they struggle to improve the squad past a certain point, form dips, they get sacked, new manager comes in and does the same thing. 

That's why IMO Sir Alex was so special. He was never afraid to sell his favourites and bring in new players, he managed to keep that team fresh and motivated for decades.

This is absolutely bang on mate and according to my many Rangers supporting mates, is exactly why Rangers have not been as good this season.

Edited by Craigy1874

24 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I much prefer reading Gerrard's interviews than listening to them and I don't know why. I don't think I look down on the Scouse accent or anything... it's weird. 

I don’t mind listening to him,  he’s es a mix modern and old school no nonsense , doesn’t tolerate stupid questions.

11 hours ago, weedman said:

The other thing with Ferguson was he really had 5 distinct coaching eras under Knox, Kidd, McLaren, Queiroz and Phelan.

Kidd was the Cantona era, McLaren was the treble-winning side (Stam), Queiroz was the Ronaldo team, and Phelan's Utd were a much more functional side built around players like Vidic, Fletcher and Carrick.

Nowadays the head coach of a football team is sort of halfway between an old-fashioned manager and what used to be called first-team coach or assistant manager.

So even Utd didn't really manage to keep people in that role for more than a few years.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

They're all so used to asking their audience what they think (even though it means nothing or is based on zero expertise), or making headlines that just demand to be clicked, that they’ve forgotten how to formulate  questions. 

'What do you think about the pedestrianisation of Norwich city centre?'

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Nope, he was better asking nothing than asking something rubbish. I think the next guy asks what pleased him most about the two wins to which he basically had to repeat everything he’d said before. Tbf I think it’s a rough deal getting to ask the last questions at a press conference, unless you’ve got something v specific to ask. Most stuff will have been covered already. 

I’d agree he’s better saying nothing than my Daft Bullring  question. But surely as a sports journalist he should have one or two questions ready, which may not be super insightful but better than nothing. I doubt his boss was over impressed. Ultimately his job is to research in depth and find the questions that aren’t quite so obvious. 

Â