Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

5 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Purslow stated in the Gerrard presser that he continuous improvement. I am taking that at face value. He wants to improve each season. Last season we got 11th so this season he will want top half. I did say I believe that SG will be given some latitude with this if he is in or about 11th as he took over mid season and where our points per game was looking like relegation and not top half. If SG gets us 7th or 8th the following season then I think CP will be happy with that as improvement and that forces Europe qualification to the following season. I would be shocked if CP wouldn't settle for that, not just because that is what he said he wants but because it will see Villa in a much stronger position than we are in today

Oh so he just wants better than today!

So two seasons later (by the end of 22/23) after (20/21) when Dean got 55 points, which most seasons 55/56 points would’ve got you 8th place, some 7th place but unluckily got us 11th last season, that CP and the owners would settle for that.  Two seasons on…that doesn’t sound like progression to me.

I assume you will say about 2021 results but seasons aren’t calendar years and for the season of 20/21 we got 55 points, which unusually was not a top ten place.  If we get 8th at the end of 22/23 season on 55 points…do we call that progression? Our results over a season haven’t improved or worsened, it’s totally down to our competitors because less of them have done as well as in the 20/21 season.  So not our progression but regression of other clubs is the reason.

In the 17/18 if anybody had got 49 points with a better than minus 14 goals difference they would’ve got 8th in the league.

I think the owners and CP will be expecting more!  They’ll want top ten this season and European qualification next season, I can’t see them happy with less. Some posters on here were right early in the season when I was wrong, the actions of CP and the Owners proved that, they want more now and individuals will get very little grace and Gerrard will know that.  European qualification will be required by the end of next season otherwise it’ll be a disappointing season.

Edited by nick76

20 minutes ago, Kingman said:

I think Lambert aged about 10 years in his time here!

I remember watching sky and seeing him getting off the team bus for his first game in charge of Blackburn (I think). He was like a new man.

13 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Speaks bloody well doesn't he.

Listened to around an hour's worth of his press conferences this last week or two and haven't once felt bored.

The more I hear, the more I'm impressed by. Fascinating to hear him speak, and that he's so driven, won't suffer fools (on the pitch or in training and in the media), and is keen to get the U23s integrated. Lots of interesting talking points for sure.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Apologies if it's been posted elsewhere but just read through this interesting analysis on the set-up last week and thought it was an interesting one.

An interesting read - really don't want to see Watkins out LW again, though. 

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

We look a step up off the ball already, things are looking up.

On two-steps up on it. We're playing football again, instead of the rentless pumping balls up the flanks that we we were hellbent on doing the last few months under Smith.

• Like 2

Â