Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

31 minutes ago, MentalM said:

Is it horrible to say I am getting more and more excited?

Looking forward to a lot of our players getting a kick in their behind to lay down the work at the pitch. Looking forward to more pressing play. Looking forward to a game plan. Looking forward to Chuk, JPB and Archer getting more minutes.

Sceptic at first, but it changed after reading all the research people have done on social media on how Rangers played. I think it suits our players, and cant wait to see it in action. Just hope we dont sign any Rangers players, so we avoid one of those traps many managers do. Bring in the backroom staff, and stop it there. Unless some of the Rangers players are clear upgrades on ours, and I dont see that.

If there is one player he brings, I would put a couple of quid on it being Glen Kamara. He is a disciplined CDM who always seems to be in right place at right time. Never seems to run round park chasing the ball, just positionally aware. Also, very skilful on ball.  I posted Ryan Kent in an earlier thread but a forum member gave good reasons why he probably wouldn’t be needed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

Just to change the pace of the conversation a smidge.

Do you reckon in situations like this Gerrard and his team sit down and basically watch videos of villa games from the past few months? Id love to know the inner workings of how these things work.

I think anyone watching the past five games will see glaring problems in the team, whereas just seeing them on the training pitch may give a totally different impression of what kind of players he has inherited.

Yes, but without knowing the context to what the players were told, how they were performing in training, and so on, it’s hard to work out exactly what’s gone wrong.

My hope is that a good man like Dean Smith has left behind the information that Gerrard needs to understand all of that. Plus they’ll be able to tap into the insights of the coaches who are still here from the Smith era.

But those expecting an immediate new manager bounce might need to rein in the optimism a bit.

Yes I think we’ll have a big first 20 against Brighton, with a lot of players looking to prove a point.

But I don’t think Gerrard’s impact will really be felt properly until next season. I’d be happy with a 10th place finish.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wurzel said:

Really good discussion about Villa here:

Is Steven a risk? Yes, but he has nearly 200 games as Rangers manager so he knows what he is doing, and Villa in our current situation have to take a risk on identifying a manager on the up, the next big thing. It would be far more difficult to attract a known entity. I'm also encouraged by the ambition of the board and fully expect a lot more money thrown at this team in the next two windows. Exciting times ahead. Worth watching as well just for Yorkie! LOL.

Had we appointed any other manager, it would have been a segment of a show. The fact that it was pretty much the whole program shows us how high-profile Gerrard still is.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

If there is one player he brings, I would put a couple of quid on it being Glen Kamara. He is a disciplined CDM who always seems to be in right place at right time. Never seems to run round park chasing the ball, just positionally aware. Also, very skilful on ball.  I posted Ryan Kent in an earlier thread but a forum member gave good reasons why he probably wouldn’t be needed. 

I’m wary of Glens/Glenns after the last one. 

Quite like Kamaras though, Jeff

18 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

I dont rate Kamara that highly myself. So hope we stay clear. 

The others who could be possibilites are basically older versions of at least equal players (Tavernier, Kent, Aribo, Barisic).

Hope we stay away from the Rangers squad!

1 hour ago, avfcDJ said:

Had a good chat with a Rangers fan last night - and I am slightly more optimistic. Plenty he said made me sit up and take notice. Turning a points deficit of 12 into a 25 point winning side over 3 years, recruiting well, making players better, adapting tactics slightly (although not always using subs when needed) but also the football was great, good pressing, commitment across the field.

OK. Let’s do this. 

Yeah listened to " The Pod " with Dan Bardell and someone from a Rangers fan group.

Was quite encouraging.

Seems he is capable of switching up formation, they went 4 - 4 - 2 in Europe against Brondby for example.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yes, but without knowing the context to what the players were told, how they were performing in training, and so on, it’s hard to work out exactly what’s gone wrong.

My hope is that a good man like Dean Smith has left behind the information that Gerrard needs to understand all of that. Plus they’ll be able to tap into the insights of the coaches who are still here from the Smith era.

But those expecting an immediate new manager bounce might need to rein in the optimism a bit.

Yes I think we’ll have a big first 20 against Brighton, with a lot of players looking to prove a point.

But I don’t think Gerrard’s impact will really be felt properly until next season. I’d be happy with a 10th place finish.

10th place would be fantastic.

Wonder if Gerrard would find it funny if his old playing days chant were brought back where everytime he wins us a game our crowd sings "Steven Gerrard is a Wa**er" I'm sure he's have a grin on his face considering how much abuse he used to get off our fans, just this time were having abit of a laugh with him to settle the past..

Ever since that Boateng foul, Gerrard was a bad guy for sure.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MentalM said:

I dont rate Kamara that highly myself. So hope we stay clear. 

The others who could be possibilites are basically older versions of at least equal players (Tavernier, Kent, Aribo, Barisic).

Hope we stay away from the Rangers squad!

I think Kent and tavernier have been good for gerrard - for a full back to get 19 goals is something special even at that level - though gerrard will now be shopping at another level totally 

Just now, Dave-R said:

Wonder if Gerrard would find it funny if his old playing days chant were brought back where everytime he wins us a game our crowd sings "Steven Gerrard is a Wa**er" I'm sure he's have a grin on his face considering how much abuse he used to get off our fans, just this time were having abit of a laugh with him to settle the past..

Ever since that Boateng foul, Gerrard was a bad guy for sure.

No doubt away fans will be bringing back the slipped on his arse song 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GazRFC said:

Hi guys, Rangers fan here, joined last night to give you some insight into Gerrard and his team and style of play. 

I gather from here that a lot of you are underwhelmed at this appointment and I suppose understandably so. However I think you will be surprised.

He came to us in 2018 off the back of us being pumped 4-0 and 5-0 in successive weeks from Celtic with our caretaker in charge, we were a riot. 

in his first season, he had us neck and neck with Celtic at the new year and managed to record our first league win over Rodgers Celtic, the first time we had beaten Celtic in the league since we got put down the leagues.

He also qualified through 4 rounds of EL qualifying within his first 2 months in charge, becoming the first team to ever do this. He went on to do this on his second season, third season , Infact he has qualified us for the groups in all 4 seasons he’s been here, beating teams like galatasaray along the way. 

with us, he plays an attacking 4-3-3 formation but one of his weaknesses is his in game management. Often waiting too long to make subs. 

Michael Beale is the brains behind his operation and he will be valuable to you. He is a serious talent. 

There is a danger of being caught up in the “gerrard circus” with the media but it’s good exposure for you guys. Any questions just let me know but I seriously think he will do well with all the money he will have to spend, he worked wonders with us on a serious budget

Thanks for this. Reassuring, and as you say, the starting point when he joined, and the performances in Europe do suggest he achieved a bit more than just a par performance in the SPL. He and his coaching team obviously have something about them.

We sacked Smith because his in-game management was poor, so good to know Gerrard will keep that tradition alive.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, momo said:

I just don't see how he is a better coach than Smith. Just another big name getting his chance.

If you don't see his qualities, then you don't see them, you will just have to wait and see...or live with it.

No one, is saying Dean is not a good manager, or even saying Gerrard is better, SG still has some learning to do.....but maybe SG has something Dean does not and the board seen that, like I do.

but its all about results....Dean presided over 27 wins in 86 games, you can dress it up any way you like, but that is the reality of it.....call it wonderful, if you want to, but they are the facts and what the board acted upon.

SG is a big name, but if thats all you see, so be it.....No one will convince you, or in fact,wants to....you have to make your own mind up as the results unfold, but by the sound of it you already have.

Â