Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Really? Even when we were doing well last year fans were unhappy about those topics…winning softens the angry but while some are critically analysing some are just critical.

Fans will give Gerrard time to implement his style and methods and get some player in during Jan. As long as SG keeps us away from the drop zone I expect that he won't get too much grief until next season. Then he will be much more under the microscope as he will have had the time to bed in. If those negative attributes manifest themselves I would say fans will get angry. A lot will depend of results though. More points means less anger.

21 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Well if he has favourites, doesn’t sub well, in game management isn’t great and doesn’t play enough youth as been described by Gaz there are going to be some very angry fans on here given these were the comments thrown at Smith this calendar year.

Indeed. Almost an exact parallel to the main issues levelled at Smith - Giving youth a chance aside, which I don’t think anyone could say he didn’t do.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, a-k said:

The amount of games we have already lost this season does not influence next season, except for potentially being in the Championship, and I would say Top 8 with 60 points there is lowballing expectations...

My bad, late one and didn’t see that it was next season lol

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think that is a load of bollox. He doesn't need the money and it is clear he is a winner and he wants to succeed. He will be more pissed with the blot on his CV and reputation damage than any amount of compensation. He doesn't want to manage a 'Norwich', he wants to manage Liverpool

Just like Lamps managed Chelsea and is now in talks with Norwich.

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’d imagine they’ll be in Monday meeting the players and taking training and the media stuff will follow.

There are really big logistics challenges for these guys. Imagine having to move job to somewhere new with only a few days notice and the impact on housing, bills, commitments, family, school etc. At least SG's home and family are already down here (well, relatively close). But a big pain in the arse for Beale

2 minutes ago, MCU said:

Just like Lamps managed Chelsea and is now in talks with Norwich.

Yeah, but Gerrard hasn't had his chance at Liverpool (yet), isn't that the point? Lamps had his chance at Chelsea and it didn't work out as he had not doubt hoped.

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Some things purslow says can be taken with a pinch of salt , he was set on Gerrard long before any so called interviews  , he was blown away by Gerrard long before this week - there’s a Liverpool forum thread somewhere about how he used to follow Gerrard around like a puppy and it was standing joke among the players at the time 

Well, we all know on this forum how a rumour can become gospel. Find that a bit hard to believe of a hardnosed businessman like Purslow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

@GazRFC Can I ask whether you think your relative overachievement in Europe was down to playing teams with a more expansive, attacking style rather than the low block you often faced in the league?

What makes you think Rangers overachieved in Europe?  

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Really? Even when we were doing well last year fans were unhappy about those topics…winning softens the angry but while some are critically analysing some are just critical.

Some people just need something to moan about mate. That will never change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GazRFC said:

Hi guys, Rangers fan here, joined last night to give you some insight into Gerrard and his team and style of play. 

I gather from here that a lot of you are underwhelmed at this appointment and I suppose understandably so. However I think you will be surprised.

He came to us in 2018 off the back of us being pumped 4-0 and 5-0 in successive weeks from Celtic with our caretaker in charge, we were a riot. 

in his first season, he had us neck and neck with Celtic at the new year and managed to record our first league win over Rodgers Celtic, the first time we had beaten Celtic in the league since we got put down the leagues.

He also qualified through 4 rounds of EL qualifying within his first 2 months in charge, becoming the first team to ever do this. He went on to do this on his second season, third season , Infact he has qualified us for the groups in all 4 seasons he’s been here, beating teams like galatasaray along the way. 

with us, he plays an attacking 4-3-3 formation but one of his weaknesses is his in game management. Often waiting too long to make subs. 

Michael Beale is the brains behind his operation and he will be valuable to you. He is a serious talent. 

There is a danger of being caught up in the “gerrard circus” with the media but it’s good exposure for you guys. Any questions just let me know but I seriously think he will do well with all the money he will have to spend, he worked wonders with us on a serious budget

Thank you for sharing and taking the time….

Thoughts/reasons on why he only one 1 out of 9 trophies?

Going a season unbeaten and only conceding 13 goals is impressive but his record isn’t great when compared to past Rangers & Celtic managers is it? Also, weren’t Celtic a bit of a shambles during his tenure so he didn’t have genuine competition or wasn’t really pushed as past managers were?

I don’t know, sorry I don’t follow the SPL closely.

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

If you don't see his qualities, then you don't see them, you will just have to wait and see...or live with it.

No one, is saying Dean is not a good manager, or even saying Gerrard is better, SG still has some learning to do.....but maybe SG has something Dean does not and the board seen that, like I do.

but its all about results....Dean presided over 27 wins in 86 games, you can dress it up any way you like, but that is the reality of it.....call it wonderful, if you want to, but they are the facts and what the board acted upon.

SG is a big name, but if thats all you see, so be it.....No one will convince you, or in fact,wants to....you have to make your own mind up as the results unfold, but by the sound of it you already have.

I can see that you’re delighted with this appointment TRO and I hope that’s justified and you enjoy his tenure.

Other than the allure of his name and reputation as a player (putting that to one side), what makes you so sure he is going to be a success? What convinces you he is a high level manager (which he will need to be to compete well in this league, huge step up and challenge).

I think it’s justified to have doubts and reservations but also sensible to look forwards with hope and optimism rather than be downbeat or complain…

I think it’s a very unpredictable scenario myself but am hoping for the best.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Thank you for sharing and taking the time….

Thoughts/reasons on why he only one 1 out of 9 trophies?

Going a season unbeaten and only conceding 13 goals is impressive but his record isn’t great when compared to past Rangers & Celtic managers is it? Also, weren’t Celtic a bit of a shambles during his tenure so he didn’t have genuine competition or wasn’t really pushed as past managers were?

I don’t know, sorry I don’t follow the SPL closely.

Thanks again.

So I think the first 2 seasons he can be forgiven as he was still building his squad. I do accept that he should maybe have won a cup during they first 2 seasons but Celtic were still stronger. Celtic we’re only a shambles last season, and even at that, they were only a shambles because we made them look like a shambles. We lost 2 disappointing cup ties last season when Celtic were already out so that is disappointing but he said himself he wanted to do better in the cups 

• Thanks 2

Â