Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

51 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

The media attention for us as a club will die down soon, then sooner rather than later we will just get Martin Tyler doing his usual Top 4 biased bollocks.

”Next for you we’ve got the team that former Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard is currently managing versus Manchester City…and it’s live!!!”

I even read that in Matin Tyler's voice 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, supermon said:

I even read that in Matin Tyler's voice 

Martin Tyler or anyone else couldn't give a shit whether they were talking about Man Utd or Luton Town. They will talk about whatever team the listening audience what to hear about. The teams that people want to hear about are the higher profile teams. This is why it is vital that Purslow increases the profile of Villa. 

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo

3 hours ago, macandally said:

I can’t help feeling people are getting ahead of themselves on this.  

“He will raise our profile”, “he is a born winner”, “he will demand respect”, “the players will instinctively look up to him”.  

That is all guess work, how he sets his stall out, how he engages, manages and initiates change will be critical.  The players either buy into it and are engaged or he/they are toast.  Cannot help but feel Dean was too nice, we had a soft underbelly and when people squeezed us it showed, we rolled over and it ultimately cost him his job.

Highest paid manager in Villa history, with significant January war chest.  Let’s be under no bones, there are no excuses here.  Purslow and owners have gone “all in” on Gerrard.  Let’s hope he proves worth it otherwise this could all go horribly wrong for Gerrard, Purslow and most importantly, the club.

Yep, they’ve put a huge amount of faith in him. I hope he deserves and rewards it… I really do.

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Our next few games are tough- Brighton, Crystal Palace, Man City, Liverpool, Leicester and then Norwich. He’s probably not going to get that many points, it’s vital we stick with him.

I’m not knocking them as such but if we are picking Brighton, Palace and Norwich on a list of ‘tough’ games we are in the wrong division.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

Our next few games are tough- Brighton, Crystal Palace, Man City, Liverpool, Leicester and then Norwich. He’s probably not going to get that many points, it’s vital we stick with him.

I think Douglas Luiz coming back (and maybe Sanson!?) could help balance the midfield a bit, and then a bit of a new manager bounce on top of that, and we should be able to pick up some points.

But I agree, it could be a bad string of results, *even* if Gerrard mostly does the right things. A lot of people seem to be expecting him to magic up his own match winning qualities in the players he coaches, immediately. I’m not sure it works like that.

I’m not excited at all by the appointment I’m in total wait and see mode.

I don’t know how his coaches will affect the players.

I don’t know how good a motivator or tactician he is either.

Those we’re my three key points so I’ll judge him in half a dozen games time initially and then again next season when he has had some time, a pre season and a couple of windows.

At the end of next season I expect to finish in the top 8 places with a 60 point minimum.

• Like 2

I think we have a top half squad with excellent players. This club is well run across the board and Dean Smith left it in good shape. I absolutely do expect to win against most our next opponents and I expect us to be competitive against the likes of Man City or Liverpool. That's why the club acted quickly and Gerrard doesnt get the luxury of time, he has the luxury of better players than he has ever managed before, his own staff , plus the good Cutler and a superb infrastructure around him. He doesn't need anything else to start winning right now, January is a bonus not a lifeline.

Its why we sacked Dean Smith was to see immediate improvement. That is my hope and expectation for any new manager.

I am pretty confident we will see immediate improvement as well by the way. New manager bounce is real, any players who may have felt a little too comfortable wont now and any player is not going to want to let down a respected player like Gerrard as his first impression.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

12 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I think we have a top half squad with excellent players. This club is well run across the board and Dean Smith left it in good shape. I absolutely do expect to win against most our next opponents

I am with you here. Smith has been sacked for not having this team pushing Europe. I’ll be pleased if Gerrard keeps us up but to be termed a success he needs to win a lot of games. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I’m not knocking them as such but if we are picking Brighton, Palace and Norwich on a list of ‘tough’ games we are in the wrong division.

Brighton and Palace are tough because they are in form. Norwich-ok, we should win comfortably but if we haven’t picked up any/many points by then, will be high pressure.

Brighton haven't won any of their last seven games in all competitions, so after a good start they're not in great form, I would say rather that our coming games against Brighton, Crystal Palace, Man City, Liverpool, Leicester and then Norwich encapsulate in miniature the characteristics of a full season, in that the very best and the worst are represented, as well as some midtable teams, so really we should be looking to get a decent haul of points, because if we don't think we have a chance in those games then it doesn't say much for our chances over a full season, because it won't get much easier than that and if you're serious about finishing midtable we're going to have to be able to beat more than just the very worst teams in the league.

From the next six I would say around eight points would be a good return, but obviously hoping for more, some new manager bounce would be good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

I’m not excited at all by the appointment I’m in total wait and see mode.

I don’t know how his coaches will affect the players.

I don’t know how good a motivator or tactician he is either.

Those we’re my three key points so I’ll judge him in half a dozen games time initially and then again next season when he has had some time, a pre season and a couple of windows.

At the end of next season I expect to finish in the top 8 places with a 60 point minimum.

You could be in for a shock mate. We only finished on 55 last season and we’ve already lost 7 games. We lost 15 all of last season. We’ve given ourselves a big mountain to climb 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Feels like the club are taking a big risk here.

IMO either this will be a huge disaster or he'll be massive success - certainly won't be boring!

Welcome Steven - prove your doubter wrong and you have my support. UTV.

CleverTallFirefly-size_restricted.gif

He has top quality coaches with him that knows what they are doing. 

The team will be well drilled. It'll be fine. 

1 hour ago, IrishVilla10 said:

You could be in for a shock mate. We only finished on 55 last season and we’ve already lost 7 games. We lost 15 all of last season. We’ve given ourselves a big mountain to climb 

The amount of games we have already lost this season does not influence next season, except for potentially being in the Championship, and I would say Top 8 with 60 points there is lowballing expectations...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm not having that. One of the greatest days in our history and you banked that has a memory? 

Yup - everyone on the coach was going mad. It's probably where my dislike of Liverpool came from.

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Brighton and Palace are tough because they are in form. Norwich-ok, we should win comfortably but if we haven’t picked up any/many points by then, will be high pressure.

Brighton in form ? Really ? 0 wins in 7 ?

Â