Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I understand those not happy with the appointment but now it’s done you have to try and change your mindset about it to get behind him and see how he does.

Otherwise you’ll just find yourself looking for negatives and ignoring positives throughout his time here. Just like many fans that wrote off smith from day 1. They continually said he would fail and he continually proved them wrong (until he didn’t).

How can this kind of support ever be enjoyable ?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I think we have a top half squad with excellent players. This club is well run across the board and Dean Smith left it in good shape. I absolutely do expect to win against most our next opponents and I expect us to be competitive against the likes of Man City or Liverpool. That's why the club acted quickly and Gerrard doesnt get the luxury of time, he has the luxury of better players than he has ever managed before, his own staff , plus the good Cutler and a superb infrastructure around him. He doesn't need anything else to start winning right now, January is a bonus not a lifeline.

Its why we sacked Dean Smith was to see immediate improvement. That is my hope and expectation for any new manager.

I am pretty confident we will see immediate improvement as well by the way. New manager bounce is real, any players who may have felt a little too comfortable wont now and any player is not going to want to let down a respected player like Gerrard as his first impression.

No pressure then Stevie, get on with it ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

You could be in for a shock mate. We only finished on 55 last season and we’ve already lost 7 games. We lost 15 all of last season. We’ve given ourselves a big mountain to climb 

You are right, but in fairness we only drew 7 games. Converting losses to draws would help quite a bit even if we don’t win.

55 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I understand those not happy with the appointment but now it’s done you have to try and change your mindset about it to get behind him and see how he does.

Otherwise you’ll just find yourself looking for negatives and ignoring positives throughout his time here. Just like many fans that wrote off smith from day 1. They continually said he would fail and he continually proved them wrong (until he didn’t).

How can this kind of support ever be enjoyable ?

This is exactly how I think.

What is the point of being the type football supporter who is constantly pointing out how bad things are going to be and how things are going to fail?

Joyless

Edited by MarkLillis
  • Like 2

Had a good chat with a Rangers fan last night - and I am slightly more optimistic. Plenty he said made me sit up and take notice. Turning a points deficit of 12 into a 25 point winning side over 3 years, recruiting well, making players better, adapting tactics slightly (although not always using subs when needed) but also the football was great, good pressing, commitment across the field.

OK. Let’s do this. 

• Like 1

Really good discussion about Villa here:

Is Steven a risk? Yes, but he has nearly 200 games as Rangers manager so he knows what he is doing, and Villa in our current situation have to take a risk on identifying a manager on the up, the next big thing. It would be far more difficult to attract a known entity. I'm also encouraged by the ambition of the board and fully expect a lot more money thrown at this team in the next two windows. Exciting times ahead. Worth watching as well just for Yorkie! LOL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

With the coverage Sky are giving us and Gerrard today, there has to be a chance they will be looking for some way to broadcast the Dec 11 game live. 

I said this in the pre-match thread, Be amazed if it doesn't get moved for a Sky wank fest. 

Needs confirming one way or another so fans can book correctly with travel arrangements and potentially time off work. 

Not that Sky give a flying **** about fans anyway 

Just to change the pace of the conversation a smidge.

Do you reckon in situations like this Gerrard and his team sit down and basically watch videos of villa games from the past few months? Id love to know the inner workings of how these things work.

I think anyone watching the past five games will see glaring problems in the team, whereas just seeing them on the training pitch may give a totally different impression of what kind of players he has inherited.

• Haha 1

I'm sure Gerrard will, I would. He needs to know what he is up against. I'm sure he will be considering who will be captain, the temprement of the players, why some are not playing to their potential. I'm sure some will be moved on. So this is a perfect break for him to get his homework done.

5 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Do you reckon in situations like this Gerrard and his team sit down and basically watch videos of villa games from the past few months? Id love to know the inner workings of how these things work.

I think anyone watching the past five games will see glaring problems in the team, whereas just seeing them on the training pitch may give a totally different impression of what kind of players he has inherited.

Without question. He may already have had one eye on us and started watching our games? That will obviously intensify now.

He’ll bring fresh ideas but I wouldn’t expect to see wholesale changes in system and personnel next weekend. Think he’ll have a watching brief in training over the next few weeks. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Really good discussion about Villa here:

Is Steven a risk? Yes, but he has nearly 200 games as Rangers manager so he knows what he is doing, and Villa in our current situation have to take a risk on identifying a manager on the up, the next big thing. It would be far more difficult to attract a known entity. I'm also encouraged by the ambition of the board and fully expect a lot more money thrown at this team in the next two windows. Exciting times ahead. Worth watching as well just for Yorkie! LOL.

Not a fan of Wright but respect to him for mentioning Ramsey.  

6 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

If I’d just taken over I’d be watching every video and getting all the performance data together I could possibly get my hands on. I’d also be sitting down for hours with data analysts. 

• Like 1

Â