Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

33 minutes ago, penguin said:

Indeed. Almost an exact parallel to the main issues levelled at Smith - Giving youth a chance aside, which I don’t think anyone could say he didn’t do.  

I was just thinking the same. 

Will be interesting to see how much those issues annoy people now because it's a different manager. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, GazRFC said:

So I think the first 2 seasons he can be forgiven as he was still building his squad. I do accept that he should maybe have won a cup during they first 2 seasons but Celtic were still stronger. Celtic we’re only a shambles last season, and even at that, they were only a shambles because we made them look like a shambles. We lost 2 disappointing cup ties last season when Celtic were already out so that is disappointing but he said himself he wanted to do better in the cups 

How we lost the league cup final with Julien scoring and Forster putting on a master class still baffles me.

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

I think the table is still quite tight tho and a couple of wins would see us shoot up several places - I still think 8-10 this season is very attainable - I’m hoping for a similar bounce to when Gregory took over from Little - Gerrard doesn’t take prisoners and anyone not buying into his work ethics will quickly be on their way out - this is the kind of manager needed as I think smith was  bit too laid back 

spacer.png

18 minutes ago, GazRFC said:

So I think the first 2 seasons he can be forgiven as he was still building his squad. I do accept that he should maybe have won a cup during they first 2 seasons but Celtic were still stronger. Celtic we’re only a shambles last season, and even at that, they were only a shambles because we made them look like a shambles. We lost 2 disappointing cup ties last season when Celtic were already out so that is disappointing but he said himself he wanted to do better in the cups 

A lot of critics point to the money Gerrard had to spend but as far as I’m aware Celtic still spent more.

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

A lot of critics point to the money Gerrard had to spend but as far as I’m aware Celtic still spent more.

Yeah Celtics spend was still more so no excuses from them really 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I’d be happy with a 10th place finish.

Last year 10th place had 59 points. We currently have 10. 49 points required from 27 games. 1.8 points a game. That would require phenomenal form.

6 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Last year 10th place had 59 points. We currently have 10. 49 points required from 27 games. 1.8 points a game. That would require phenomenal form.

How many points did the team in 10th place after 11 games have and how many points did the team that got 59 points and eventually finish have after 11 games?

10 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Though the previous year 53 points would have got 10th and the year before that 52 points got 10th.  So only 42 more points needed at 1.55 PPG.

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Though the previous year 53 points would have got 10th and the year before that 52 points got 10th.  So only 42 more points needed at 1.55 PPG.

And the 2 years before that 44 points and 45 points got 10th!

So under 1.3 PPG needed to finish 10th based on those two years!

Edited by ender4

15 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

How many points did the team in 10th place after 11 games have and how many points did the team that got 59 points and eventually finish have after 11 games?

Everton ultimately finished 10th last season on 59 points. After 11 games they were also in 10th place and had 19 points.

After 11 games this season, only the top 5 have over 19 points (6th place Man Utd on 17).

My point is that I doubt 59 points will be required to finish 10th this season. 

Finishing in the top ten is possible for Villa and Gerrard this season (and that should be the aim), but I’m not going to hold it against him if the club falls short. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, GazRFC said:

Yeah Celtics spend was still more so no excuses from them really 

Would you be confident of him making our midfielders comfortable on the ball, improve our passing game and ball retention? Composure in possession?

Were they creating chances with relative ease, in play. Incisive passes, through balls?

Did he ever resort to hoofball and did the quality of football ever deteriorate much? How did he manage any slumps in form or poor runs (can’t imagine there were many, and short lived if they were. Due to quality of opposition)?

He certainly seems to have done well in Europe, that’s encouraging. Especially because the standard of opposition in the PL is going to be a huge challenge.

I just can’t get away from the fact that he never won a cup competition there and only has 1 league title to show for it… despite the impressive achievement of halting Celtic’s dominance…

• Like 1

Just now, Jas10 said:

Would you be confident of him making our midfielders comfortable on the ball, improve our passing game and ball retention? Composure in possession?

Were they creating chances with relative ease, in play. Incisive passes, through balls?

Did he ever resort to hoofball and did the quality of football ever deteriorate much? How did he manage any slumps in form or poor runs (can’t imagine there were many, and short lived if they were. Due to quality of opposition)?

He certainly seems to have done well in Europe, that’s encouraging. Especially because the standard of opposition in the PL is going to be a huge challenge.

I just can’t get away from the fact that he never won a cup competition there and only has 1 league title to show for it… despite the impressive achievement of halting Celtic’s dominance…

Good questions for our Rangers guest. I suspect pretty much every team they went up against bar Celtic and maybe Hearts would park the bus so wouldn’t be easy. But then the standard is also very low too. 

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Good questions for our Rangers guest. I suspect pretty much every team they went up against bar Celtic and maybe Hearts would park the bus so wouldn’t be easy. But then the standard is also very low too. 

SJM doesn't want you to forget the mighty hibees...

• Like 1

Â