The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

I am probably in a minority but I would like Graham Potter in as the next Villa manager, I think his teams play very good football with excellent passing and movement who has had limited funds compared to many of the clubs in the league.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

My view is that the negativity towards Gerrard stems from disappointment and lack of understanding as to why he is a better candidate than at least 3 or 4 other gettable names - not anti Gerrard vendettas, not unaccepting of his Liverpool alleigance, but plain old deflation at an opportunity missed. We can only be proven wrong. If he sorts the midfield then we're doing good.

Or you don’t hire the kid fresh out of Uni for the CFO position of a major listed company because you have a friendship with them is my issue.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, AJ said:

From what I have been reading, alot of the weight in the decision to sign Gerrard seems to be based on Purslow's relationship with him. If Purslow is going to provide jobs for his mates at the expense of the club, then he can f*** right off.

I am not sold on Gerrard. Sure, he is doing well with Rangers, but so was Lambert with Norwich, and that turned out well. 🙄 There are better candidates out there, and as @useless says, I hope it is just a smokescreen. 

If we sign Gerrard, I am not confident it will end well. If it doesn't,  Purslow's head should be rolling before Gerrard's has hit the floor.

Not necessarily a good comparison. We have a much better squad now and owners who would back him in the transfer market. Lambert inherited a desperately bad squad and had next to nothing to spend. In retrospect it’s a miracle he kept us in the  PL as long as he did.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Or you don’t hire the kid out of Uni for the CFO position of a major listed company because you have a friendship with them is my issue.

It's an odd one, old wealthy guy meets successful younger guy - is it a one-way lovefest or does Stevie G see something in Purslow's little frame that excites him?

• Haha 1

I think Gerrard will improve us. Not the best appointment (I’d of gone with Favre or Hassenhutl/Potter) but not the worst in A Terry/Martinez who would get us relegated. I also share the worry that he’ll be off to Liverpool at the first opportunity , but he’ll have done well here hopefully if he wants that job. 

I think the people who don’t want him because “he’s a scouser” need to give their head a wobble. It’s very synonymous with our club that people don’t like people because of their differences. Probably the same bunch of people who go to away games and sing “oh Bl*** Tammy, Abraham”, “his dads a Rasta, McGinns his master” and “his cocks **** massive”. We do have the most arrests in the league linked to racism. Not saying not liking Gerrard is racist, but it doesn’t surprise me that some people have this “he’s a robbing scouser I don’t want him near the club” opinion.

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So basically its not Smiths fault at all we lost 18 games in 2021. It’s the fault of the midfield?

Eh? Did you make up an argument in your head and then try and counter it? That’s not in the same postcode as what I said.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I am probably in a minority but I would like Graham Potter in as the next Villa manager, I think his teams play very good football with excellent passing and movement who has had limited funds compared to many of the clubs in the league.

You are the majority (and so am I).

• Like 1

This comparison has probably already been made but I'll make it any way. Neil Lennon.

He's had a few spells at Celtic and always averaged over 2 points per game. He was close to 2 points a game with Hibernian too. His only non Scottish job was Bolton in the championship where he averaged 1 point per game. 

Steve Gerard averages about 2 points a game in Scotland. 

This isn't an anti Stevie G post, just a warning about the standard in Scotland and how we should look at comparisons. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Eligius said:

No you are definitely not in the minority but it would be very difficult mid season.

Also I reckon he is looking higher up the league for his next job.

13 minutes ago, Jareth said:

My view is that the negativity towards Gerrard stems from disappointment and lack of understanding as to why he is a better candidate than at least 3 or 4 other gettable names - not anti Gerrard vendettas, not unaccepting of his Liverpool alleigance, but plain old deflation at an opportunity missed. We can only be proven wrong. If he sorts the midfield then we're doing good.

Elaborate, please. Change my mind.

2 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

I think Gerrard will improve us. Not the best appointment (I’d of gone with Favre or Hassenhutl/Potter) but not the worst in A Terry/Martinez who would get us relegated. I also share the worry that he’ll be off to Liverpool at the first opportunity , but he’ll have done well here hopefully if he wants that job. 

I think the people who don’t want him because “he’s a scouser” need to give their head a wobble. It’s very synonymous with our club that people don’t like people because of their differences. Probably the same bunch of people who go to away games and sing “oh Bl*** Tammy, Abraham”, “his dads a Rasta, McGinns his master” and “his cocks **** massive”. We do have the most arrests in the league linked to racism. Not saying not liking Gerrard is racist, but it doesn’t surprise me that some people have this “he’s a robbing scouser I don’t want him near the club” opinion.

The reality of our situation right now is that any young manager who managed to get us to Europe would (quite rightly) be attracting massive attention from other clubs. As you pointed out though, in order to get to that place that manager would have had to take this club forward significantly and would leave us in a better place than now. Can't ask for more than that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Ok hypothetically imagine the following scenario. Purslow decides to avoid the VT backlash and doesn’t appoint SG, appointing say Potter/Favre/Fonseca whoever instead. Meanwhile a club in a similar situation as us, Leeds decide to part company with Bielsa. The screams from Yorkshire get even louder when the appoint Steven Gerrard. Everyone in VT rejoices a scummy Scouser goes to scummy Leeds. 

Fast forward a few months. We’ve improved but aren’t comfortable clear of the bottom 3. Meanwhile SG is the toast of Yorkshire pushing for a European place and in the latter stages of the FA Cup. VT rages, “Why do we never unearth the next big thing? Why did Purslow play safe? SG is obviously a serial winner! Purslow get Lampard, he’s the next SG!”

Might be a stretch but not that far fetched, it would be a very Villa thing to do. If I’m honest, one of the reasons I’ve never liked SG is his annoying trick of always winning. If you can’t beat ‘em…..

He spent almost entirely his career at Liverpool which is the one of the biggest teams in England. It would be been impossible not to win things. He never won the league though.

Ok he has won the league in a 2 team league but his opponent was Neil Lennon who was a failure when he went down south to manage Bolton.

• Like 1

If Gerrard comes here I will support him. I will have to, as will we all. 

But to me it just seems like a massive gamble for no reason. I am not happy with the club sacking Smith, but I can understand why they did it - IF they had someone lined up who was highly likely to take us forward (no guarantees in football, obvs). But as far as I am concerned, Steven Gerrard is not that person. He might become a great manager, but at the moment he is not, and it seems bonkers to replace a decent manager who has achieved a lot and has been learning and moving us forward throughout his tenure (I honestly believe Dean would have turned this season around), with one that has not really achieved anything and will also have a lot of learning to do and will undoubtedly make mistakes. 

If it is Steven Gerrard then it smacks of doing something for the sake of doing something. I would hope that we are better than that as a club nowadays. If it was Pep (as an example) then it would show a clear plan and ambition and I would be much happier about it. 

I feel the same way about Potter - would be a decent appointment but again, not a significant upgrade on Smith - so what would be the point? Unless something has gone on in the dressing room that has become unrecoverable. 

Although for both Gerrard and Potter, I would be much happier than the old names that used to get bandied about such as Big Sam or Uncle Woy, so I suppose that is something.

The next week or so will be interesting to say the least. 

• Like 3

Gerrard seems like the sort of appointment West Ham or Everton (but wouldn't for obvious reasons) would make.

But if he does come in, we have no option but to get behind it and support him. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Or you don’t hire the kid fresh out of Uni for the CFO position of a major listed company because you have a friendship with them is my issue.

I wouldn't say Gerrard is getting the job because Purslow is one of his besties.

If he had done nothing at his current club then he wouldn't even be considered.

He is being hired on what he has shown he is capable of.

The fact he gets on with Purslow is a bonus and will bode well in us moving forward as a club.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Ok hypothetically imagine the following scenario. Purslow decides to avoid the VT backlash and doesn’t appoint SG, appointing say Potter/Favre/Fonseca whoever instead. Meanwhile a club in a similar situation as us, Leeds decide to part company with Bielsa. The screams from Yorkshire get even louder when the appoint Steven Gerrard. Everyone in VT rejoices a scummy Scouser goes to scummy Leeds. 

Fast forward a few months. We’ve improved but aren’t comfortable clear of the bottom 3. Meanwhile SG is the toast of Yorkshire pushing for a European place and in the latter stages of the FA Cup. VT rages, “Why do we never unearth the next big thing? Why did Purslow play safe? SG is obviously a serial winner! Purslow get Lampard, he’s the next SG!”

Might be a stretch but not that far fetched, it would be a very Villa thing to do. If I’m honest, one of the reasons I’ve never liked SG is his annoying trick of always winning. If you can’t beat ‘em…..

Are you seriously advocating us to offer the job to Gerrard because of the rare probability that he'll be extremely successful at Leeds, if they offered him the job instead of us, based on nothing other than the opinion that it would be "a very Villa thing to do?"

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

...and then everyone clapped.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I can't believe we've nobody lined up and we are know going to make an approach to talk to Gerrard.

This is going to be a farce. I don't even see him wanting to come here...not that I'd want him either tbfh.

It could be all agreed, just going through the motions in public. I'm sure there's been talk in the background for the last while.