The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

2 hours ago, gurru991 said:

Winning in Scotland is an empty vessel. Its a two team league & one team didn't show up that season. Gerrard has not proven himself in terms of the  Premier League & hiring him would be an experiment. Villa deserve better !

It was very much a 1 team league when Gerrard took over at Rangers. He made it a 2 team league again.

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If it does end up being Gerrard I hope fans against it can try and put their disappointment behind them and get behind him and the team. 

I will have serious doubts about NSWE:s ambition and Purslows judgment and ability. Gerrard will be judged by results and performances.

1 minute ago, NoelVilla said:

I will have serious doubts about NSWE:s ambition and Purslows judgment and ability. Gerrard will be judged by results and performances.

Which is fair but let’s at least give the guy a chance. Even Smith needed about 4 months and the return of Grealish before turning things around.   No new manager would be able to transform the worst form team or 2021 overnight.

18 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Does literally anybody know what sort of football we can expect? Is  Purslow the only bloke south of the border who has been tuning in? If we go Gerrard then somebody sure has a lot of explaining to do if they want to convince any villa fan that this is more than a purslow punt - it will demean purslow as a decision maker to trust. 

Listen to the “For the Love of Paul McGrath” podcast. He did a short pod on Gerrard yesterday. It was actually really encouraging. Well worth 20 minutes of your time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Which is fair but let’s at least give the guy a chance. Even Smith needed about 4 months and the return of Grealish before turning things around.   No new manager would be able to transform the worst form team or 2021 overnight.

Of course but that is also an argument to hire a more experienced manager who might get it right faster.

23 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Does literally anybody know what sort of football we can expect? Is  Purslow the only bloke south of the border who has been tuning in? If we go Gerrard then somebody sure has a lot of explaining to do if they want to convince any villa fan that this is more than a purslow punt - it will demean purslow as a decision maker to trust. 

Apparently it’s 4-3-3 high press with large use of full backs. Sounds like how everybody wants to play these day.  

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Of course but that is also an argument to hire a more experienced manager who might get it right faster.

There’s always that argument but once it’s done we need to accept it. My fear is fans will be ready with pitchforks to turn on him and Purslow as soon as we lose a game.

I don't know enough to make an informed vote so will bow to everyone else's superior knowledge on here. Edit: I will say I'm not really bothered who gets it if it's to be one of the names talked about, they've all got qualities, I just hope whoever gets the job does well.

Edited by useless

My concern is if it is to be Gerrard and Purslow has already made the decision where is the due diligence? Are there going to be interviews held and if there are is it just for show?

I will be disappointed in Purslow and Lange if they have done their jobs properly.

One last point if Gerrard is doing badly will Purslow leave him in position longer than other candidates would get because he is a friend? It's all kinds of wrong.

8 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Ten Hag, probably out of our grasp but would be a huge statement of intent 

He is managing in the Dutch league I don’t see why it’s out of reach to be fair and I’m sure the wages we offer will far outweigh what he gets at Ajax.

what I don’t want to see is a Martinez type appointment. The Guy has been average almost everywhere he has been and I genuinely think if he was called Robert Martin he wouldn’t even be mentioned 

Gerrard could be a class manager, and he’ll get my full support if appointed, but it is such a risk appointing him at this stage. We’re still currently in a relegation battle, despite how relatively early it is in the season.

If this goes pear shaped we could really be in the shit.

It would be typical for us to be the Guinea pig as to whether or not Gerrard is ready for a PL club role. It would be his second job in management, and it’s a huge task for whoever comes in.

Emery, Favre, Hassenhuttl, Potter, AVB would all be better shouts right now. Sadly I expect another cringey video from Purslow on why we are bringing in Gerrard and why we sacked Smith.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

My concern is if it is to be Gerrard and Purslow has already made the decision where is the due diligence? Are there going to be interviews held and if there are is it just for show?

I will be disappointed in Purslow and Lange if they have done their jobs properly.

One last point if Gerrard is doing badly will Purslow leave him in position longer than other candidates would get because he is a friend? It's all kinds of wrong.

Sadly Purslow will be putting his credit in the bank on the line with the fans if he hires Gerrard.  I’m guessing when Gerrard fails and is fired then Purslow will have to go as well, which is a shame because I’ve been fairly impressed with what he’s done so far.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Wezbid said:

I could be wrong, I was massively abusing the booze over that period and my brain wasn't all that

Nice to know that Joleon Lescott is still keeping tabs on us. Still got that Mercedes mush? 

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

Smith had to go, as gutting as it is, but that also gives an opportunity to level up, which is what we need. Get in someone with the quality to kick us on to the next level.

A young manager who has won a 2 horse race in a weak league with a combination of increased spend and the only rival going to pot... That isn't giving us the best shot at leveling up. It's a punt. It might work, might be fantastic, but theres not much of a track record to make the bet worth it. Especially when we'll be betting the farm.

If we appoint Gerrard, the whole thing is up for question.

Exactly what I think. The Premier league is not a simple level up. It's going from conference to Premier league. There is only one team that offer Ranger any competition, it's pitiful the amount of competition Ranger or Celtic have to deal with.

The Premier league is the fiercest football league in the world. Terry as an assistant in the Premier league has more valuable experience by a mile, and not one person is recommending him!

• Like 2

I think that given how highly Smith is thought of, any replacement needs to be a bit special otherwise it’s going to divide the fanbase. 

Im not sure Gerrard fits that criteria to be honest. 

Edited by av1