The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

That’s all they care about. 

Aside from his lack of experience outside of a two-bob league, the Liverpool-media splurtfest is enough on its own to avoid him. The links away would begin the second he signed a contract. If we end up with Gerrard it’s 100% Purslow’s f’up.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Pochettino had a grand total of 3 years experience and a 32% win ratio before he landed the Southampton job. 

This is an important point, we need to look beyond certain metrics. Our next hire has to have a clear identity to their football, that's why I believe Potter or Hassenhuttl would fit the bill, both play differing styles but have clear identities.

It doesn't have to be either of them, but must be a manager that can get this team playing with a clear identity, I don't think Gerrard has shown that so far, and despite Dean doing a brilliant job overall, we never had any clear identity as a team and we're heavily reliant on a superstar in Jack Grealish.

"In Martinez's first season with Everton they finished on 72 points, comfortably their highest points total in the Premier League era, and their highest since they won the league in 1987, he's also transformed Belgium into the No.1 ranked team in world football, he did a better job with Wigan than Potter has done with Brighton on a fraction of the budget and was the manager revolutionized the way Swansea play.

He might not be the most exciting name, but he's nowhere near as bad as is being made out, I sometimes wonder in these matters if people just copy what everyone else is saying rather than look at the matter themselves.

I don't want him and don't think that he would leave Belgium, but considering that over the last ten years with the exception of one season we've either been fighting relegation or struggling to get promoted, then maybe we're not really in a position to be turning our noses up at such a manager."

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Martinez isn't safe.....He'd worry the shit out of everyone. Done absolutely sod all.

Agreed. I meant safe as in known commodity with PL experience. 

15 minutes ago, Awol said:

Aside from his lack of experience outside of a two-bob league, the Liverpool-media splurtfest is enough on its own to avoid him. The links away would begin the second he signed a contract. If we end up with Gerrard it’s 100% Purslow’s f’up.

Fowler is also available is that helps...

12 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Not sure why Sky News are touting Martinez for the job, I would have thought the way he has shit the bed with Belgium would rule him out?

They need to keep the news rolling on their 24-platform. Nothing link. 

Its pretty clear to me, if VT is anything to go by, it will be an unpopular signing, whoever it is.

One mans meat is another mans poison.....wow, don't we know it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, useless said:

I'm pretty sure that I read that Sky no longer own Sky Bet, so this idea that they run news stories to manipulate the betting odds is a bit of a myth. Either way, I don't think they're very reliable in as a source.

It's worth saying that while they are (parts of) different companies, Skybet and Sky Sports do have a close business relationship (the Sky Sports website contains affiliate advertising links to Skybet, and they usually show Skybet odds). Skybet is actually part of Flutter Entertainment, which also owns the PaddyPower and Betfair brands, but they are clearly making a conscious decision to associate the two 'Sky' brands in the customer's eye - after all, they don't have to keep the 'Sky' name, or rent the logo off Comcast, they could just fold Skybet's operations under either of the other brands, but they don't. The reason is likely to be that there is a very mutually beneficial business relationship, as Sky benefit from lots of advertising spending from Skybet/Flutter, while Skybet/Flutter benefits from the impression that they are in some way connected to Sky's journalistic output. The difference between 'running news stories to manipulate the betting odds' and 'running stories that you know your main client would like to advertise the odds about on your channel' is presumably just that the former would involve explicit instructions while the second involves lots of nods and winks and mutual understandings, but while I'm sure they stay the right side of the regulations the confusion is one they themselves create and benefit from.

• Like 3