The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

1 hour ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Take the results out of the question.

Watford- absolutely awful performance 

Newcastle- comfortable but nothing particularly great, Newcastle have since been dreadful which adds some perspective.

Brentford-  laboured draw, we had a lot of players out so was seen as a good point. But we again didn't play 'well'

Chelsea- played well, Chelsea far more clinical 3-0 was harsh but they just have better players.

Everton- again looked okay but bailey made the difference with his unreal cameo.

United- just a really solid team performance, was difficult to pick anyone in particular out but we just looked ready for what they had.

Tottenham - we were poor, very disjointed especially the passing

Wolves - up by two and cruising and we absolutely collapsed, totally inept by the end.

Arsenal - THE worst first half we have put out in a long long time, absolutely disgraceful, we we better in the second half but still outplayed.

West ham - not as pathetic as arsenal but still very poor, couldn't pass, all hoof, even the bright sparks of bailey were exceptionally quiet.

Summary- I put the start down to pre season, I thought we got going but somehow we have degraded into so much worse.

The concern for me is the lack of 'good' performances and the abundance of 'dreadful' performances(and this is no exaggeration these have been **** atrocious this season)

I'd say Smith probably has these two games to fix it, so far I think all the results have been pretty accurate representations of the games(bar maybe wolves) and we are 10 from 10 very much relegation battle form, but we have also been uncompetitive for about 4.5 of our 10 games, and it's that which is just unacceptable.

Very interesting to follow that analysis.

There is a massive change between the Man U match and Spurs and it has been terrible sInce then. 

It does seem to add support to the speculation that something has gone badly wrong behind the scenes, and that it happened very quickly and dramatically.

We had exactly the same line up and formation for each game.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

The wolves game really hurt us and we haven't recovered yet. It was a horrible result. Even a point would have been something.

Agree. it feels like a potential Leicester moment if anyone else recalls that horrible 2015 game that changed the trajectory of the team. I dont know what we need to do to change it, but it feels like the same energy :(

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

No, I get that, that is a possibility, to be established.

• Nakamba....Limited and Questionable quality.
  • Luiz..............Regular....paying the No6 role
  • McGinn........Regular...playing No 6 or no 8
  • Sanson........absent through Injury
  • Ramsey........Learning his trade, in transition.

Youth

•      Chukwuemeka

Thats what we have, make of it what you will....but it is a widely held fact that our midfield is a problem, no matter you carve up the debate as to why.

I guess we all have our theories.

Throw Ashley Young in that list too , because for some reason beyond belief Smith believes he is a central midfielder

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Take the results out of the question.

Watford- absolutely awful performance 

Newcastle- comfortable but nothing particularly great, Newcastle have since been dreadful which adds some perspective.

Brentford-  laboured draw, we had a lot of players out so was seen as a good point. But we again didn't play 'well'

Chelsea- played well, Chelsea far more clinical 3-0 was harsh but they just have better players.

Everton- again looked okay but bailey made the difference with his unreal cameo.

United- just a really solid team performance, was difficult to pick anyone in particular out but we just looked ready for what they had.

Tottenham - we were poor, very disjointed especially the passing

Wolves - up by two and cruising and we absolutely collapsed, totally inept by the end.

Arsenal - THE worst first half we have put out in a long long time, absolutely disgraceful, we we better in the second half but still outplayed.

West ham - not as pathetic as arsenal but still very poor, couldn't pass, all hoof, even the bright sparks of bailey were exceptionally quiet.

Summary- I put the start down to pre season, I thought we got going but somehow we have degraded into so much worse.

The concern for me is the lack of 'good' performances and the abundance of 'dreadful' performances(and this is no exaggeration these have been **** atrocious this season)

I'd say Smith probably has these two games to fix it, so far I think all the results have been pretty accurate representations of the games(bar maybe wolves) and we are 10 from 10 very much relegation battle form, but we have also been uncompetitive for about 4.5 of our 10 games, and it's that which is just unacceptable.

For me, that analysis just shows how important the wolves game was. Hold that lead and we’re comfortably top half having had 4 solid/good performances in the previous 5 games. You’d have been right to be optimistic as a fan at that point.

instead, an unprecedented collapse in that game has triggered the worst performances we’ve ever seen from a smith villa team. Quite astonishing how dramatic the difference between the two scenarios 

• Like 2

I know a huge amount relies on Dean and his staff to get the players performing and back to pressing players and contesting and retaining possession.

But surely for Southampton baring injuries/illness and Covid, plus players not fighting each other it shouldn't really be difficult for Dean to set us up like this (presume Konsa has a one match ban?):

Mart (won't be jetlagged)
Cash - Axel - Mings - Targett
Sanson (or Nakamba if he is 'ill/out of favour') - McGinn - Luiz 
Buendia - Watkins - Bailey

Not that I hold out much hope as It feels that every time we get anything close to a settled line up half the squad magically vanish on the day of the match despite Dean mentioning nothing during his press conference.

Edited by VillanousOne

I've spent so long looking at the above options. Honestly I just don't know.

I don't think I'm alone in saying I like Smith, and I want it to work out for him. Obviously I want every Villa manager to do well, because it means Villa are doing well, but I'd be lying if I said I've been equally supportive and patient with say McLeish or Sherwood.

Maybe it's just perspective because I've seen how things have turned out post-O'Neill by and large, or maybe it's just more difficult to be objective when I know our manager is a Villa fan living what would be a dream for millions of others to manage their club.

Going into the season, my expectations were that we'd probably be a bottom half Premier League team, and that it may take a while for our new signings and staff to settle in. Circumstances beyond anyone's control like the international schedule and injuries will be a factor too, but I'd be lying if I said I thought the performances would be this bad.

Even when we've won, the Everton game stands out for me in particular, I didn't think we looked that impressive honestly. Probably the first 70 mins against Wolves was our best performance in retrospect.

There are limitations to our squad but I know we're capable of better than the performances so far. At some point we need to see improvement, and there are only so many winnable games in any given season.

4 points out of the next 3 games feels imperative to me as a minimum, but if we're woeful against Southampton is that enough to make a decision? There was a time when I wanted us to stick with Smith even if we got relegated, but I don't feel that way now.

Sorry for rambling. The TL;DR is ask me again after Friday 

Edited by rjenkins
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Very interesting to follow that analysis.

There is a massive change between the Man U match and Spurs and it has been terrible sInce then. 

It does seem to addy no support to the speculation that something has gone badly wrong behind the scenes, and that it happened very quickly and dramatically.

We had exactly the same line up and formation for each game.

Think we just got complacent after Man. United game, Spurs game was "one of those" but at least better than what we've seen recently.

What's killed us is last 10 minutes of Wolves game, simply no confidence in the team now.

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

Not that I hold out much hope as It feels that every time we get anything close to a settled line up half the squad magically vanish on the day of the match despite Dean mentioning nothing during his press conference.

When the team sheet appears 1hr before KO I immediately look for the missing names before I actually start to digest who's actually playing!  

One difference i have picked up on from last season is that as a team we performed very well. First half of the season we were up in the top 3 teams in Europe according to Youscored stats in terms of average score of our players. We just didnt have many players not performing. From memory we had an average of 15 shots a game . And had many clean sheets. 

Only Cash Barkley stood out as inconsistent. 

Form is temporary class is permanent. 

Unfortunately i do not know which side of the line our team drops on any more. 

If I was Purslow I’d be on the phone to Russia trying to get Ralf Rangnick in . Ticks so many boxes and is perfect for us in so many ways… 

One of many good reads on Rangnick 

https://www.coachesvoice.com/ralf-rangnick-red-bull-salzburg-jurgen-klopp-rb-leipzig/

The first one is concept. This focuses on the importance of implementing a specific DNA into the club – particularly the style of football we want the team to play. Consistent orientation towards that style in all areas of the club was where we put our emphasis from day one.

The playing style should be highly recognisable – so much so that, even on a bad day, you can still recognise the kind of football that the team wants to play.

Hasn’t managed for a while but between him and Lucien Farve - two high calibre attainable targets IMO who would be a step up in terms of quality and names which will help both attract and keep players one could reasonably  expect… 

Edited by thabucks

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Disclaimer: Possible Bollox ( Formerly Thatcherlover )

You mean the same guy who knew fook all about our summer transfers now somehow has the inside line on the inner dealings at the club?  Come on...

• Like 3

On 02/11/2021 at 21:24, MWARLEY2 said:

Can he take us to top 6 in the next 3 years whilst playing 4 teams with in my opinion the 4 greatest current managers on the planet. Nope i do not think he can but i do not think anyone could. 

So my next question to myself is can he show the consistemcy needed to rise above those 4 managers plus other really good managers and compete for a top 6 spot . My answer is absolutely not  . 

So the answer from me is he has to go asap ( with huge thanks and respect ) . 

Just wondering about 4 greatest current managers.

I think I can get 3 easily but the fourth is bugging me ....is it Bruce?

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

One difference i have picked up on from last season is that as a team we performed very well. First half of the season we were up in the top 3 teams in Europe according to Youscored stats in terms of average score of our players. We just didnt have many players not performing. From memory we had an average of 15 shots a game . And had many clean sheets. 

Only Cash Barkley stood out as inconsistent. 

Form is temporary class is permanent. 

Unfortunately i do not know which side of the line our team drops on any more. 

We were very lucky with injuries at the start of last season.  I'm not using injuries as an excuse for what we have seen the past 4 games especially, just pointing out we could hit the ground running and sustain it better last season.  Once it did catch up with us we reverted to the mean, hence the mid-table finish.

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

If I was Purslow I’d be on the phone to Russia trying to get Ralf Rangnick in . Ticks so many boxes and is perfect for us in so many ways… 

One of many good reads on Rangnick 

https://www.coachesvoice.com/ralf-rangnick-red-bull-salzburg-jurgen-klopp-rb-leipzig/

Hasn’t managed for a while but between him and Lucien Farve - two high calibre attainable targets IMO who would be a step up in terms of quality and names which will help both attract and keep players one could reasonably  expect… 

He has managed 2 seasons in the last decade with one in 2nd division and is more of a sporting director these days. He cannot manage as he gets stressed easily. He is also 63 so isnt really the long term approach

He has also only ever won one trophy in his career for a man who gets hyped as a great coach

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

Just wondering about 4 greatest current managers.

I think I can get 3 easily but the fourth is bugging me ....is it Bruce?

Black, Lambert, Sherwood and Di Matteo be my four 

• Haha 1