Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Wolves

limpid

Match Polls  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/10/21 at 22:59

4 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I thought the overreaction after the United game was pretty cringeworthy tbh (although of course I understand the joy at beating United, I just don't think we should have read too much into it). But I think the same now.

Everything you're saying about the United game works in reverse here too. We got lucky at United and we got unlucky here.

Not sure we got unlucky here - we were to blame for our our downfall , yes the winner was deflected but so was McGinns goal . There was sloppiness and complacency about us I did not like at all yesterday - I felt we played ok for the first 75 mins but nothing more 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

With 10 minutes to go we all probably thought:

image.jpeg.b7dc224e88144b3e4a101f06eca12ef6.jpeg

& then it did. We simply threw it away and didn't the Dingles love it? :( 

By the way, its all very well booking the scorer for celebrating with his fans, but what about adding some time, given how long it took for Wolves to get back into their half after their third and what about booking their keeper, who ran the length of the pitch twice to get in amongst their celebrations? :rant:

8 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Not sure we got unlucky here - we were to blame for our our downfall , yes the winner was deflected but so was McGinns goal . There was sloppiness and complacency about us I did not like at all yesterday - I felt we played ok for the first 75 mins but nothing more 

I don't think we'd usually lose the game from the position we were in, tbh.

Not to say the performance was good but if you put the team we had on the pitch at the end of the game out against wolves during the next fixture you wouldn't really expect us to be 3-0 down after half an hour, would you?

Sometimes good players inexplicably play badly, or get rattled, or have some bad luck. I think all three happened yesterday, and not all of it can be blamed on Dean. The team do have to improve their performances but I think some perspective does need to be maintained too.

• Like 1

The frustrating thing is the manner of the defeat means it'll stay in the memory for a very, very long time.

Who doesn't remember the loss against Man United in similar circumstances when we were 2 up, then Ruud got sdubbed on? That was at least Man United at their best, this was the **** dingles.

It's one game, in the first third of the season, and it doesn't matter too much, but the manner of it means it's one for our PL lowlights reel, I think

• Like 4

Mings has lost his discipline in that back 5 and probably been given license to “roam” a bit more. Yet another reason why we need to get rid of it and restore the back 4 & the Mings Konsa partnership.

It worked, why did we F with it?

Playing with 5 defenders and shoehorning 2 CFs in has hurt and restricted us, we’ve gone backwards and need to get back to what was working.

Stick to a disciplined back 4 whose priority is defending, let our more talented players take on the attacking and creative load, improve our passing, incisiveness and ball retention. Get everyone fit and firing, drop a CF. Buendia and Bailey play/start when available. Ramsey’s place is on the bench.

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I completely endorse what you are saying although I am not sure I would give him until May.

I think we're underachieving even at this early stage and if he doesn't win at least one of the next 2 games against top half teams then I think I will be firmly Smith out. 

Yeah you may be right I'm just not a fan of sacking managers mid season.

I think it's disruptive for the players and difficult for the new manager to instill his ideas.

If he actually do the sensible thing and moves over to 4-3-3 I am willing to give him till May. If he keeps persist with this 5 at the back thing I will very rapidly become Smith out.

This is a hard one to get over and tough to take. We were in control, despite not being outstanding and  weakened/missing players. Were relatively comfortable against a mediocre side and needed to be more clinical. 

Got complacent after our goals, dropped off and lost our heads. Disastrous defensively, a complete shambles, Tuanzebe was dross. We don’t need to play with 3 CBs. When you do, then you don’t need a completely defensive midfielder like Nakamba.

Sick of saying it but we need to learn to control midfield and improve our passing and ball retention, it all went to shit in that last 10-20 mins. Bloody nightmare.

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

So it is true what they say ? 

I think all are to blame.

Players absolutely aren't blameless but it's the managers job to instill the right mentality and pick the right team+formation.

Edited by villalad21

Its days like yesterday that make us wonder why we support a football club ( at least Villa scored 2!) ...........and then next week we are back again cheering them on. Players, managers may come and go but the Club and fans are always there. 

Worse for you Villa fans though as cruising the game for 80 minutes before losing to a local rival ( that's hard to take).........Smith has to take a long hard look at the substitutions.

Big reaction needed now in the next game. 

Edited by newhavenhibby

11 hours ago, thunderball said:

This result was poor, but it’s stunningly knee jerk to call for Smith’s head! A lot going right at the club, but today the players needed to step up, they didn’t. 

I agree it would be knee jerk to sack DS now but he must learn from this. The point you make about the players needing to step up. I disagree with this from a somewhat pedantic perspective. The players needed to play at a certain standard and not step down with their performance. I know it is a subtle difference but I think an important one. Persistent basic errors are unacceptable from any player. If players can't maintain the standard required they need to fix that or leave the club. We will need our players to 'step up' in order to qualify for Europa and finish in the top half.

11 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

There are random events in any game,we have beaten Wolves last year and year before  with last minute goal mostly undeserved ,this year it’s their turn.

Defeatist nonsense. Accepting a sub par performance is not going to get us to where we are trying to get to i.e. Europe. Suggesting this was a random result and it was their turn is utter tripe. We messed up, our standards dropped and stupidly threw away 3 valuable points.  

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

Defeatist nonsense. Accepting a sub par performance is not going to get us to where we are trying to get to i.e. Europe. Suggesting this was a random result and it was their turn is utter tripe. We messed up, our standards dropped and stupidly threw away 3 valuable points.  

It’s not. Not accepting it, or accepting it, makes not a jot of difference. We’re supporters/fans. What we assess a result or performance as is utterly irrelevant.

I wanted to avoid football today. But thought it'd be cathartic to write this. 

Ref gave them everything. This aside, we were the better team. Unfortunately, that's nothing if you're going to capitulate like we did. We missed Dougie's composure in the last 10. But, understand the reasoning behind the substitution because of international duty. McGinn world class. 

Anyway, jeez, Villa. This one will take some getting over. How many times have we seen teams take the lead and kill the game. Learn from your fellow professionals. As soon as it went 2-1, I saw it happening and was so helpless to stop it. Traore has run from left back for their third. Foul him on the halfway line, take the booking, be done and be disappointed with 2-2. Don't let him waltz through. I watch team's week in week out kill of the game. Have we not learned anything?! Go corner flag, have a head injury, anything other than what we did. We missed a captain. We'll be nothing other than a mid-table team if we don't learn to have a nasty streak. Get into the ref. Do the dark arts. Fight, battle and foul when you have to. It's what the best teams do and we need to learn that fast. 

One last thing, during lockdown, we win that game. The nervousness from the crowd seeped into the team. Not having a go at the crowd, their first goal resigned me to disappointment, and I was as nervous as everyone else. But as professionals, they need to learn to block that out and get the job done.

It hurts when it's Spurs or Man Utd but this is another level. Close to a perfect derby day win, instead it's turned into a nightmare. For me, it's down to a soft centre. I'm not on about a hatchet man, I'm on about what they now call 'professionalism'.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 7392craig said:

I agree. However the problem with the two together is that too many attacks are breaking down, Ollie in particular is wasted in this formation. We’re losing the ball too easily in the final third.

Ollie is playing like a shadow of the player I know....is he missing Jack playing him in?

Is it, playing in a 2? or is it no creation from Midfield, in theory Danny Ings should be help.

I saw a player in Ollie Watkins yesterday look disinterested in certain situations, and seemed to make heavy weather of playing against Max Kilman.

Ollie looks out of sorts to me and I am a big fan of a fully functioning Ollie. 

• Like 2

Â