Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Wolves

limpid

Match Polls  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/10/21 at 22:59

8 hours ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

To be 2-0 at home, we should 100% be closing that game out, absolutely no excuses

Not good enough at the back to close a game out. Remember Mings was booked for time wasting when we were 1 up. 

You could see the players at the back were feeling the pressure. 

4 hours ago, romavillan said:

Equally Ings should score first half, we had half a dozen good chances apart from that too. Wouldn't have been that against the run of play for us to have gone in at half time 2-0 or 2-1. 

Yes the collapse was terrible and yes Wolves' talented players managed to create against us. Not the whole story and it's something we can fix.

I agree.....but I didn't see an abundance of talent undoing us, I didn't see us outplayed.....I saw a siege and us unable to get the ball, by fiesty, hungry players, intent of getting back in the game.....Coady and Saiss, epitomised that as the scorers of Burnley type goals.....they just clattered their way back in.......it was like the big boys, v the smaller boys in a youth game....we just wilted.

but my overriding point is.....you can't just out gun, everyone in this league.....we scored 2 goals, it was enough, the attacking players did their job.

Even Brentford, have learnt this lesson from a free scoring, free spirited team, they have have learnt to manage games, and moreover have bought in new players like Norgaard to help them do it....they are not so easy to play against now.

our issue is, we are too easily,got at.

I would accept it from Man city or Liverpool......but our defensive structure should be better than that.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I think all are to blame.

Players absolutely aren't blameless but it's the managers job to instill the right mentality and pick the right team+formation.

You obviously didn't look up as that previous comment went over your head.

Admittedly didn't fully focus on the match as was on the beach, but didn't even realise watkins was playing for most of the first 25 minutes until he kept getting clattered. A poor performance from him yesterday.

Mings again with soft non directional headers slicing passes, trying to dummy forwards and ending up giving corners or possession away when originally under no pressure.

As soon as emi went off I was questioning the decision ( didn't have the sound on) and the same with Doug and with young.

2 nil up and we swap our midfielders for less composed ones.

Why we didn't revert to a narrow 4411 to keep hold of the ball more I really don't know. 

We had either konsa or axel to move to right back.

It isn't even a case of easy knowing after the event, it was crystal clear after the 75th minute we were getting over ran and they were going to keep on pushing.

Poor in game tactics and all 3 subs not being up to their previous form cost us those 3 points 

Yes we are missing several players, the table doesn't give hardship points for teams going through injury spells.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I think he is better quality than the subs plus our rhythm at that time was disrupted so a double hit for me and imo if he wasn’t exhausted from internationals he wouldn’t have gone off and I don’t think we would’ve lost the game.  I know the goals were defensive errors but I don’t think Wolves would’ve got the play to get those chances because they weren’t before Dougie went off.  Wolves were able to wrestle control of the game when Dougie went off which allowed them to go on the front foot and thus create those chances.

I am not convinced of that.....I accept the rhythm,of our play...... but not the ability to resist Wolves ability to win back the initiative/control.....That is my issue with Dougie and the other midfielders other than McGinn....They went on the front foot, because they had nothing to lose and the sheer momentum of their siege, bore dividends, we in contrast were swamped and physically overrun.....it needed big characters to weather that storm and ours never turned up at the back.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree.....but I didn't see an abundance of talent undoing us, I didn't see us outplayed.....I saw a siege and us unable to get the ball, by fiesty, hungry players, intent of getting back in the game.....Coady and Saiss, epitomised that as the scorers of Burnley type goals.....they just clattered their way back in.......it was like the big boys, v the smaller boys in a youth game....we just wilted.

but my overriding point is.....you can't just out gun, everyone in this league.....we scored 2 goals, it was enough, the attacking players did their job.

Even Brentford, have learnt this lesson from a free scoring, free spirited team, they have have learnt to manage games, and moreover have bought in new players like Norgaard to help them do it....they are not so easy to play against now.

our issue is, we are too easily,got at.

I would accept it from Man city or Liverpool......but our defensive structure should be better than that.

Totally our form last year was underpinned by clean sheets, two goals is easy enough to win a game. I meant Wolves' first half chances rather than after we went to shit in terms of the talented Wolves players comment. I'll grant you that even when we were getting clean sheets more often than the shots against column was always pretty full but Mings and Konsa had an amazing knack of being in the way. 

We do need to tighten up but it's not the whole story we get a lot of stuff right too. I really don't think it's the disaster that some are suggesting is all. Remember the Forest 5-5? Smith then changed things and we got tighter, same with the relegation escape post the lockdown, I trust him and the coaching team to sort it out this year as well. I personally think a lot of it is down to playing two up top, and  no-one has stepped up as a genuine 6. We'll sort it out, there's a load of positives still.

21 hours ago, useless said:

The music stopped, and with the deafening silence comes the sudden realization that we aren't going to become some great team anytime soon, outside of a few clubs the best the rest can hope for is a one off season finishing as a best of the rest team and maybe with some luck winning a trophy. Doesn't matter who the manager is that's just the wicked truth.

The fact remains is......We are very good at certain things......and bloody poor at others.

we don't have to win or lose to see it.....its there most of the time irrespective of the result.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yep, these are frustrating the hell out of me. 8 games in and we haven't been able to start our best team once. Let alone get a run going with it. 

Every team is the same though. I'm fed up of hearing this argument as if we're the only team who has injuries.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Every team is the same though. I'm fed up of hearing this argument as if we're the only team who has injuries.

No every team isn't the same. No other team had two players miss a game due to having to isolate because of international football rules. I haven't seen many other expensive star summer signings miss as much game time as Bailey has so far. 

We had one game where we had to play Carney and Ashley Young in Central midfield. 

All teams have injures but you'd have to have a serious agenda to actually ignore the issues the team you support have gone through. All whilst trying to build a new way of playing after losing one of the best players in the league.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

The fact remains is......We are very good at certain things......and bloody poor at others.

we don't have to win or lose to see it.....its there most of the time time irrespective.

Yep after a win the weaknesses get glossed over and after a loss the good play gets ignored. I doubt Smith is that short sighted though :)

We've done ok so far, some disappointments and some great performances in defeat to go with the good results. I think we'll see some changes in shape and personnel soon enough.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Not really, you accept we are a midtable team, no better. That's how you can handle the loses. I'm not sure the board or your messiah see it this way.

I think the board see us a midtable - despite what they say publicly.

Just now, hippo said:

I'm not sure of that. I think there expectations are higher than most on here, as I don't think they would have invested so much money. I doubt they will spend 100 million a season to stay still, they will want a return on the investment sooner rather than later, we are not owned by oil.

11 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Totally our form last year was underpinned by clean sheets, two goals is easy enough to win a game. I meant Wolves' first half chances rather than after we went to shit in terms of the talented Wolves players comment. I'll grant you that even when we were getting clean sheets more often than the shots against column was always pretty full but Mings and Konsa had an amazing knack of being in the way. 

We do need to tighten up but it's not the whole story we get a lot of stuff right too. I really don't think it's the disaster that some are suggesting is all. Remember the Forest 5-5? Smith then changed things and we got tighter, same with the relegation escape post the lockdown, I trust him and the coaching team to sort it out this year as well. I personally think a lot of it is down to playing two up top, and  no-one has stepped up as a genuine 6. We'll sort it out, there's a load of positives still.

I agree....We certainly do get a lot of stuff right.....We have improved in leaps and bounds, but some things haven't improved.....I agree totally about the genuine 6, but I guess I am in the minority on that.

Not sure about the 2 up top,....potentially amongst the best strikers in the country and would have no problem selling them.....its the service to them is questionable.

I ask this question, how can the midfield scheme, when they are too easily taken out or beaten to the ball.....as the old saying goes " you have to win the right to play football" its winning the right, I have concerns with.....We can play, when we are allowed to, no question as soon as it gets tight, we faulter....we have to find a mix in midfield, than can deal with ALL eventualities.

Its not a disaster, but I think it has asked questions of our character.

We will bounce back, but as we are at the moment, don't be surprised if it happens again.

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think they'd be crazy to be demanding much more at this point. 

That’s an awful lot of investment by the board for mid table finish . 

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not convinced of that.....I accept the rhythm,of our play...... but not the ability to resist Wolves ability to win back the initiative/control.....That is my issue with Dougie and the other midfielders other than McGinn....They went on the front foot, because they had nothing to lose and the sheer momentum of their siege, bore dividends, we in contrast were swamped and physically overrun.....it needed big characters to weather that storm and ours never turned up at the back.

Fair enough but I obviously don’t agree given we looked reasonably comfortably at 2-0 with Dougie on the pitch, the game was basically over and the crowd chanted that way because Wolves looked dead and out in terms of coming back.  I think you are being unfair to Dougie and our resistance.  

The subs, while I didn’t disagree with them given the circumstances, changed the game and allowed Wolves to gain the front foot.  Our defenders then also turned in a sloppy, undisciplined 10 minutes and lost composure.

36 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yep after a win the weaknesses get glossed over and after a loss the good play gets ignored.

We're all a bit guilty of this.

However, Chelsea was one of those rare exceptions where even though the scoreline was terrible, most of us were happy.

I think it's performances and trends which worry/encourage us more than actual results to a certain degree 

Try my best not to get too high or low these days, but I also realise we can't be nonchalant with certain things if we want to progress either.

It's difficult to make any conclusions based on all of the other things we've had to deal with so far, but I'm starting to side eye some of our players and reluctantly wonder if they need to be Improved on for us to improve.

Our defenders are either outstanding or absolute tripe 🤦🏿. We can't afford to have all our hardwork undone by consistent brain farts. They also never seem to all have a good game at the same time, one will be having an absolute Stormer, and be let down by one being very poor etc .

The standards and quality need to improve.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

Â