Josh Feeney

sir_gary_cahill

7 hours ago, Rich192 said:

One thing to consider is keeping him around for one more season qualifies him as club homegrown, whereas if we keep loaning him out until he’s 21 then he’ll only be association homegrown. I’d keep him around, and he may even get the chance to get some Conference League minutes. 

Hasn't gone to the USA, right? Looks like he's miles away from the first team (not a criticism, he's 18!).

I would be shocked if he plays for our first team this year. CB is our strongest depth after the Torres signing. Four really good CBs - and we still have Chambers (and Revan, who looks to be considered next in the pecking order - as he gone to the USA).

Edited by Cizzler

29 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Four really good CBs - and we still have Chambers (and Revan, who looks to be considered next in the pecking order - as he gone to the USA).

Revan is a LB. His older brother (now at Barnet) was the CB.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Linked with Blackpool on loan.

Only just 18 so he's very young to be heading out, but I think he's from up there so would probably just be going home.

If he's going to get 20 first team games there that's a really really good level for him to have a look at.

The same sort of loan would be OK next season as well if the club did want to keep hold of him this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Only just 18 so he's very young to be heading out, but I think he's from up there so would probably just be going home.

If he's going to get 20 first team games there that's a really really good level for him to have a look at.

The same sort of loan would be OK next season as well if the club did want to keep hold of him this year.

That would be a great loan move. Decent level for his age and they'll be one of the promotion favourites after relegation last season.

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Yeah from Poulton and then joined Fleetwood Town. So probably stay in his family home when up there most likely

On 21/07/2023 at 01:56, Cizzler said:

Hasn't gone to the USA, right? Looks like he's miles away from the first team (not a criticism, he's 18!).

I would be shocked if he plays for our first team this year. CB is our strongest depth after the Torres signing. Four really good CBs - and we still have Chambers (and Revan, who looks to be considered next in the pecking order - as he gone to the USA).

Dendoncker can play CB too as a 6th choice and/or Kamara in a pinch....

Edited by Morgo

• 3 weeks later...

Noticed in the latest training video he was training with the First Team alongside Archer and JPB from the youth setup. Might be filling in alongside Chambers as the 4th/5th choice CBs for the time being, although a loan may be best for his development. Will be interesting to see what happens but he's quite clearly well thought of within the club.

• 5 months later...

https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/premier-league/birmingham-irun-emery-cedera-pieza-97213919

From Birmingham to Irún: Emery will give a piece of Aston Villa to Real Unión
Josh Feeney was in the box during the Real Unión-Arenteiro at the Stadium Gal

Unai Emery's Aston Villa is taking center stage in the Premier League . His good work has him in the 'Champions zone' with fourth place, scoring some eye-catching football and directly standing up to the 'Big Six'. The work has been based on strong investments supported by Nassef Sawiris, owner of the club, and maintains on the horizon the hope of a project that will also be established with its young players.

To this end, the 'villain' team announced a few weeks ago the agreement with Real Unión, whose majority owner is precisely the coach of Hondarribia , in addition to having his brother, Igor Emery, as president. And the Irún team will soon take advantage of this relationship with the arrival of reinforcements from England.

The first of them aims to be Josh Feeney, central defender of the Aston Villa Sub 21.  The press officer of Real Unión, Martín Tellechea, confirmed to Diario SPORT that the Englishman was in the box during the Basques' defeat against Arenteiro by 1-2. "It's not the first time he's come ," added the team employee who currently plays in Primera RFEF.

Feeney has not yet made his official debut with Unai Emery's first team , although he has already been called up twice for the Conference League preliminary round against Hibernian in both games. In addition, he is an international with England from the Under 16 category, also going through the Under 17 and the current Under 18, where he has played four games after making his debut in September 2022.

According to the information indicated by Ángel García, from 'Cazurreando', the central defender would not be the only reinforcement that Real Unión is looking for from Aston Villa, also pointing to the arrival of three more players , a leap only possible due to the sporting relationship of the Emery between both clubs. From Birmingham to Irun.

I think Real Union in theory should be a good move for him, in this country if young defenders go on loan often they're not trusted because they play in such an important position where one mistake can be so costly, the ones that tend to get game time are the ones that are already built like senior defenders, which Feeney isn't yet, it's probably why Smith has got a move to an higher level, as he's already very well built.

• Like 2

I doubt anyone can accurately answer that, not many people on here watch lower league games in this country never mind Spain, but I would guess that it's probably a similar level to the lower leagues in this country, main thing is to get them used to first team football and all that comes with that, will be a good way of guaranteeing our players game time. It can't be that bad as the likes of Celta Vigo, Real Sociedad, and Barcelona, have their B teams playing at that level, so they must think it's good enough to help with the development of their players.

Because of his size I think Feeney could possibly struggle to get a loan to say League One or Championship level in this country, or if he did might not get much game time, but a move like this for the rest of this season will probably give him a much better chance of getting a move to an higher level next season than he would do by staying with our U21s, so I think in theory it's a good plan.

36 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

what equivalent level is the Spanish third tier?

league 1?, league 2?, national league?

Its probably around National League standard. Deportivo is a big team in the division but are nowhere near what they were in the past, looking at them they still have Lucas Perez who played at Arsenal and managed by Idiakez brother who left us for Real Union

Not sure if its good or bad for him but he is going to the second worst defence in his division but are also not probably in danger of relegation 

• Thanks 1

If the article is right and we can send 3/4 players out there I wonder who else will turn out for them. Might be good to send one of our keepers over as we seem to have too many good prospects for the games our teams play, someone is always missing out on minutes. 

The technical level in the the Spanish 3rd tier should be a little higher than here. And playing out from the back is in their football culture.  

As a result it looks like a good move for Feeney. First team football, playing out from the back, and learning and new football culture should aid his growth.

On 27/03/2023 at 18:19, useless said:

Feeney started for England U18s today in 3-1 win against Switzerland.

Our other player in the squad, right-back Jayden Barber, replaced him in the second-half.

bet he's a cut above.

Â