Josh Feeney

sir_gary_cahill

If it was too low of a level then he wouldn't be going, I'm pretty sure the club thought of that, as I've said previously I doubt many if any at all, have much of a clue how the lower leagues in Spain compare to the lower leagues in England, for the simple fact that many won't watch one or the other never mind both to make a comparison.

He's still only eighteen, which is young anyway, but even more so for a central defender, and is tallish, but not massively built, so regardless of how technically brilliant he is, which he is, he's not going to get a move to an high level at the moment, say Championship or League One, or if he did, his game time would be limited.

This move will allow him to get used to playing against fully grown opposition, hopefully get used to it, and if he does well and shows that he's ready for the physical aspects of senior football, it will give him a much better chance of finding a better loan next season, that he would have sayting with our U21s for the rest of this campaign.

Tommi O'Reilly is in a similar position, although older, some clubs at a worthy level might be reluctant to take him on loan at the moment, but if he can prove himself in Spain for the rest of this season, will have a much better chance of getting a better loan next season.

Moving abroad will also help him and our other youth prospects grow by experiencing a different culture - though some may argue that moving to Grimsby would also offer that 😆

He and Tommi O'Reilly are playing for our U21s today, maybe they were just at Real Union on a visit, in a similar way to how we've had players from Kobe, Vitoria, and Zed come and visit us.

Edited by useless

On 25/01/2024 at 10:19, Jas10 said:

Isn’t the level too low? Would be a great experience regardless but in terms of development… 🤷‍♂️

The difference is they play similar football throughout the levels rather than hoof ball and heading .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

The difference is they play similar football throughout the levels rather than hoof ball and heading .

Yeah I was just asking question the rather than making an assumption… may improve their technical level and skills, just a great experience for them and different environment altogether really…

Edited by Jas10

The thing is building this network (wether it’s about our partners or even teams like Argyle) it helps our strategy very well. For Union Emery will make sure they have the same style of play, that could be done with Vitoria and Zed as well. 
The we got Sousa and loaned him quickly showed how strong we’re becoming in that department. The agents will start looking to move potentially good players to Villa as they’re knowing how to progress with them. 
For me I’m more happy with January about our sustainability than any other thing. No more short term actions (which would effect our progress). 

• Like 1

It's an opportunity to play senior football regularly under a manager they've both worked with in a different environment and culture - it could be excellent for both of them.

In terms of it being too low a level, perhaps if it is and they're going to have the potential to be better than those around them, if they are, they'll be able to help Real Union to promotion and create a situation that is better for the next group.

If we can make Tommi and Josh better, that's really good, if we can also make one of the teams in the V-sports group better too, that's also good, and ultimately good for Villa's future.

• Like 3

Â