Josh Feeney

sir_gary_cahill

Seems he has been here for an age and still only just 18 years old. Great to see that our new coaching team seem to rate him as high as our last . And there is no rush either for him .  He can just get on with continuing to learn his trade and mature from boy to man. In a couple of years he might well be a beast as he fills out .

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Seems he has been here for an age and still only just 18 years old. Great to see that our new coaching team seem to rate him as high as our last . And there is no rush either for him .  He can just get on with continuing to learn his trade and mature from boy to man. In a couple of years he might well be a beast as he fills out .

Stick him with mings 

The last great thing that man will do for this club is help bring this lad through 

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Wonder if he’ll go out on loan, or maybe a season too early for that.

Well i think we sent Cahill on loan to Burnley when he was 18 and maybe similar types of player. BUT i think that centre backs need a little more time to mature physically . The way Ty speaks about how much he is learning then it could be beneficial for Josh to get that same grounding. With Mings and Carlos both 30 now , there will be a slot opening up in maybe 3 years for him to compete for a shirt  . So he has plenty of time on his side to develop . 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Well i think we sent Cahill on loan to Burnley when he was 18 and maybe similar types of player. BUT i think that centre backs need a little more time to mature physically . The way Ty speaks about how much he is learning then it could be beneficial for Josh to get that same grounding. With Mings and Carlos both 30 now , there will be a slot opening up in maybe 3 years for him to compete for a shirt  . So he has plenty of time on his side to develop . 

that's what I am thinking too

there's the benefit of sending him out on loan to the lower leagues so that he can get some game time (however i don't buy in to the whole toughen him up / make a man of him stuff)

There's also the benefit of him staying at the club, making the bench, playing in the papa johns, maybe seeing some European football and training every day under emery and with Mings

no real right answer and the whole loan thing also depends on his maturity and mentality, KKH for example completely guessing here but i think he's hit and miss as to how happy he is living is the likes of huddersfield, its not just the facilities and the management and stuff like that its family and home, at 18 years old we get him what we consider to be a great loan deal to yeovil...who the **** wants to live in yeovil!

I don't think he will go out on loan yet, central defenders are different to other young players when it comes to loans, it's harder for them to get game time because they play in such a crucial position, one mistake and it could cost the team they're playing for a goal, whereas a young midfielder or winger makes a mistake and the rest of the team can cover for it, so teams less trusting of young central defenders, young goalkeepers are in a similr positon and why a lot of them have to go to non-league for game time.

Young defenders that do go out on loan and do well tend to be well developed physically, Harwood-Bellis, Colwill, Quansah, Ronnie Edwards not a loan player but in the same cateogry, Feeney isn't exactly small, but also he's not yet the size of typical centre-back, so I think to get a decent loan move might have to develop a little more physically, as it stands although he might not be as highly rated as Feeney, I think Kerr Smith might have the better chance of going out on loan and getting game time.

Tottenham about to sign Ashley Phillips from Blackburn, he's close to Feeney in profile, same age, postion, and played alongside each other for England, Phillips bigger physically than Feeney, but only made a few brief appearances for Blackburn's first team.

Something that seemingly helps academy players get better loan moves is if they make an appearance for their parent club's first team, if Feeney makes a few appearances for us next season that will mean other clubs more likely to trust him if they see us trusting him and if develops physically also which I'm sure he will do, then I imagine that will put him in good stead to get a good loan move next summer if we feel he needs it.

Of course not out of the question that he goes out on loan this summer, in many ways he's already good enough, he's looked decent against lower league oppostion in the EFL Trophy, but I would guess he's more likely to stay with us., as he's still very young by any measure, but even more so for the positoin he plays in.

• Like 1

On 18/07/2023 at 21:27, MWARLEY2 said:

The way Ty speaks about how much he is learning then it could be beneficial for Josh to get that same grounding

This is my fundamental issue when people say young players need to be shipped out on loan - yes, there’s a time and place for it and it’s important, but if someone stays and is training with the first team and gets 150 sessions with Emery, that might well be what they need more than 15 games for Swindon.

22 hours ago, The_Steve said:

I’d keep Feeney around and maybe consider a Jan loan. He’s incredibly composed on the ball and we know Unai likes to promote youngsters. 

No point IMO. He needs to go out on loan, play first-team football and make/learn from mistakes on the way. It's a crucial part of any defender's journey. We're beyond well-covered at CB, so he's not going to get a look in.  

One thing to consider is keeping him around for one more season qualifies him as club homegrown, whereas if we keep loaning him out until he’s 21 then he’ll only be association homegrown. I’d keep him around, and he may even get the chance to get some Conference League minutes. 

I wouldn't mind keeping him here, training with the senior side, and not seeing a minute of senior football this season. Maybe we can throw him in against a league one or two team in the cup if we think he can handle it but I don't think there's much point risking it. Let him learn from the seniors and the coaches and put some muscle on and send him out when he's ready to compete mentally and physically. 

He only just turned eighteen, that's incredibly young for any player to go out on loan, let alone a central defender, I'd be surprised if he's not with us next season, he's not even dominant defensively at U21 level yet, still has things to learn, as it stands there probably aren't many clubs that would give the game time to make it worth while. I think he will stay with our U21s, this coming season with potential to come off the bench for first team in cup competitions.

Â