Energy Bills

Genie

1 hour ago, Xela said:

That is absolutely crazy! What benefit is there in fixing if it is that high? 

That's my thinking too unless it's jut more brazen profiteering. Just insane. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

When I moved into my first place, I was paying about £10 per month for about 2 years... then they must have come out and read the meter and I got a huge bill (over £1.5k). Had to pay it.

You absolutely did not have to pay it. As per my earlier post ofgem rules say.

On 31/03/2022 at 14:53, blandy said:

You can’t be charged for gas or electricity used more than 12 months ago if you have not been correctly billed for it, or informed about it via a statement of account, before.

I’d think about getting back on to them, unless it was yonks ago.. you were only liable for a years worth

I didnt realise a **** tumble dryer generates so much electric. I was leaving it on fir like 3-4hrs to completely dry ans when i saw how much my electric bill was i couldnt understand it until my pops told me about tumble dryers.

Ffs i am gonna get my arse handed to me in October from BG

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I didnt realise a **** tumble dryer generates so much electric. I was leaving it on fir like 3-4hrs to completely dry ans when i saw how much my electric bill was i couldnt understand it until my pops told me about tumble dryers.

A decent rule of thumb - anything electrical that primarily functions to create heat uses a lot of power. Making heat from electricity is massively inefficient and therefore using a tumble dryer or (even worse) an electric heater will chew through electric.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I didnt realise a **** tumble dryer generates so much electric.

I’m pretty sure they use electricity, rather than generate it 😉 

3-4 hours is an insane amount of time. It’ll be costing you a fortune. Ours has sensors so it knows when the things inside are dry and turns off. There’s several levels of dryness too.

Edited by Genie

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m pretty sure they use electricity, rather than generate it 😉 

3-4 hours is an insane amount of time. It’ll be costing you a fortune. Ours has sensors so it knows when the things inside are dry and turns off. There’s several levels of dryness too.

Imagine doing this once a week for 3-4 months 🤦‍♂️ what a idiot i am. Just been wasting money.

My tumble dryer ia bosch and it doesnt dry the clothes quickly. Its abit shit to be honest 

21 minutes ago, Chindie said:

A decent rule of thumb - anything electrical that primarily functions to create heat uses a lot of power. Making heat from electricity is massively inefficient and therefore using a tumble dryer or (even worse) an electric heater will chew through electric.

I actually have a electric heater but i realised this after a couple uses and was like just put the frigging heating on be cheaper. Thanks for your advice

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Imagine doing this once a week for 3-4 months 🤦‍♂️ what a idiot i am. Just been wasting money.

My tumble dryer ia bosch and it doesnt dry the clothes quickly. Its abit shit to be honest 

I actually have a electric heater but i realised this after a couple uses and was like just put the frigging heating on be cheaper. Thanks for your advice

Make sure the filters and things are cleaned out. If they are clogged up with fluff then it’s harder for the dryer to expel the moist air so it takes longer. There will be some hatches you can open up and clean out.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Make sure the filters and things are cleaned out. If they are clogged up with fluff then it’s harder for the dryer to expel the moist air so it takes longer. There will be some hatches you can open up and clean out.

Also helps reduce the risk of them burning your house down!

• Like 1

We got a heat pump tumble dryer. Cost about £150 more than a standard dryer, but I bet we have made that back in a year. Just gotta get the Mrs to get her long hair cut now. Spends about 30 minutes nearly everyday with the hairdryer, then another 20 minutes with the straighteners, there's a couple of quid a day everyday. 😂

Is it just mine, or are women not too bothered about saving on energy bills.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Either your washing machine is not spinning them dry enough or your tumble dryer is not working properly? Because nothing takes 3-4 hours to dry.

Have you a heat pump tumble dryer? They take forever but use drastically less power.

5 hours ago, tinker said:

There's a time limit they can go back to , think it's 1 or maybe  2 years. They tried for all of it though, I just said no follow the rules . I paid about a third of it. 

Good to know cheers. I’ll look into that. 

I mean obviously I don’t mind paying a chunk. I’ve used it after all. But seems a bit harsh to let it build up like that when they’ve never told mE to give them a reading. 

I can add that to the things that piss you off thread. Making me do my meter readings. You **** do it. It’s not like you’re short of cash is it?!

4 hours ago, Xela said:

What reading did you submit if you haven't got access to the meters? Have you just guessed? 

Didn't you get a key for the meter cupboard? Mine is outside at the back of the the apartment. My old flat, it was in the cupboard under the stairs in the communal hallway. When I moved into my first place, I was paying about £10 per month for about 2 years... then they must have come out and read the meter and I got a huge bill (over £1.5k). Had to pay it. God knows what it would have been on todays rates. 

Oh sorry I didn’t explain that bit. 

I got a text from British Gas in the end about the prices going up so best to submit a reading. So I thought I better double check.

I asked the landlord in the end and he sent someone to check the meter and sent me pictures of it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Good to know cheers. I’ll look into that. 

I mean obviously I don’t mind paying a chunk. I’ve used it after all. But seems a bit harsh to let it build up like that when they’ve never told mE to give them a reading. 

I can add that to the things that piss you off thread. Making me do my meter readings. You **** do it. It’s not like you’re short of cash is it?!

Make sure you tell them the last 12 months the flat has been pretty much empty and unused and so the share of any outstanding balance will be very small…

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

You realise that doing your own meter readings gives you the opportunity to inflate the pre-price hike readings (not legal caveat)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Either your washing machine is not spinning them dry enough or your tumble dryer is not working properly? Because nothing takes 3-4 hours to dry.

Have you a heat pump tumble dryer? They take forever but use drastically less power.

I actually dont know. Before i moved i never bought a tumble dryer as was living in a flat so i just found one online and read reviews. I really should have done some proper research when i was looking into one.

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Some quick calcs on my pre April 1st tariff, vs my post April 1st tariff;

Elec costs.jpg

Christ, you sure do drill a lot

Â