Energy Bills

Genie

Just checked my smart meter and it's still showing the old tariff so I assume the cost I'm seeing on it is blollox.  

Shouldn't a smart meter be updated when the tariff changes?

5 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm still hoping the price hikes are actually just an elaborate long build April Fool's joke. 

They might say the 50% rises are a joke, it’s actually 80%.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

They might say the 50% rises are a joke, it’s actually 80%.

Annually I think it is around 80%.   

Went up by 30% in October and 54% now in April. Annual increase of 84% for the average household.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

Everyone back to their offices!

Not at £8 for a train ticket to work! 

I'm still better off cranking the boiler up and WFH

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Not at £8 for a train ticket to work! 

I'm still better off cranking the boiler up and WFH

Same here, it’s about £12-£14 a day in diesel for me.

• Like 1

Just checked if our annual electricity use of 5,000 K/W h is high and it seems we're well on the way towards double the typical consumption for a 3 bedroom house :blink:

With 2 kids the washing machine is on a hell of a lot, we have a fridge freezer plus a second fridge and second freezer.  I guess that pushes us above average but getting towards double?

We don't have a spin dryer.

I am beginning to wonder if I've got a duff appliance or two sucking the electricity away.

Edited by sidcow
  • Shocked 1

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Just checked if our annual electricity use of 5,000 K/W h is high and it seems we're well on the way towards double the typical consumption for a 3 bedroom house :blink:

With 2 kids the washing machine is on a hell of a lot, we have a fridge freezer plus a second fridge and second freezer.  I guess that pushes us above average but getting towards double?

I am beginning to wonder if I've got a duff appliance or two sucking the electricity away.

This is where the smart meters come in. You can isolate different devices and see where the usage is going. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

No disrespect to yours personally. But it's generally called the wife. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Same here, it’s about £12-£14 a day in diesel for me.

I relocated from Yorkshire to Cheshire last year as was assured by my boss that it wasn't a problem as we were remote working. They now want me back in 2 days a week at 80 miles each way. That's going to be about £50 a day at a guess. 

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Have you got a lot of 'vampire devices' plugged in like phone/laptop chargers, TVs on standby etc. They are constantly draining electricity and it can all add up over time. 

5 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Have you got a lot of 'vampire devices' plugged in like phone/laptop chargers, TVs on standby etc. They are constantly draining electricity and it can all add up over time. 

Almost certain, but I guess the average house has that too.

I'm going to have to get one of those meters and find out if anything in particular is draining the power.

23 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Oh noooooooo!!!!

Forgot to top up the electric car before the rate increase ... Dammit!

Now there'll be an extra charge.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

You got me to check my consumption of electricity.  It’s 4,800 kWh for the year, similar to yours. We are 2 adults and 2 kids.

Seems pretty normal, we don’t use anything more than anyone else as far as I’m aware. Also have a second freezer like you. Heating and hot water use gas.

My guess is TVs and charging phones and tablets etc.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Are you saying that if charger wires are plugged in but not connected to anything then they still use electricity?

Â