Energy Bills

Genie

9 hours ago, bickster said:

Wtf are you driving to spend £50 a day doing 160 miles a day?

In your average 50mpg car thats three gallons, even at todays prices thats about £25 a day

it would cost £50 for me doing that with my mpg. Luckily I barely have to use mine now. 

On the down side, the annual VED on my car has increased to £615. 

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What will you do with all those spy cams if you do that. 

Unplug them and lower my bill :) 

• Haha 3

On 10/03/2022 at 19:52, Xela said:

174.9 today!

£62 for about half a tank. 

177.9 yesterday so the super unleaded prices have increased at the local Shell in the last 3 weeks. 

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

Aside from sports I don't watch any TV at all really but I have Sky Go, BT and IPTV so I'll be absolutely fine with that...makes me wonder why I didn't cancel it all earlier

Legally you need a TV licence for Sky Go and BT.

3 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

The biggest consumer of electricity is an electric shower. Teenagers spending 30 minutes in there will murder your bills.

Electric fan heaters cost a lot more than people think and are often left running for ages. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Electric fan heaters cost a lot more than people think and are often left running for ages. 

Ya but who doesn't know that they are terrible for power consumption.

2 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Ya but who doesn't know that they are terrible for power consumption.

My ex flat mate for one. Went mental at the electric bill but refused to turn his heater off whilst he'd sit their in a t-shirt and shorts. 

As we moved into our house last Feb, we still have until the end of the month on the fix we did when we got the keys. We got our forecast for the change to the standard tariff the other day.

KAi46nD.jpeg

Not as high as some but not good to see.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

13 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

When you say the heating is on 24/7 do you mean you have it set to a temperature?

Set to a temperature and on constant, but I reckon if I feel the radiator at most times of the day then the heating will be on. It’s ridiculous. I’m not even just talking in colder months, our heating is in during the summer. I’ll walk in from the sun and the radiator will be blasting. My wife reckons our house doesn’t hold heat well. I call BS.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

Set to a temperature and on constant, but I reckon if I feel the radiator at most times of the day then the heating will be on. It’s ridiculous. I’m not even just talking in colder months, our heating is in during the summer. I’ll walk in from the sun and the radiator will be blasting. My wife reckons our house doesn’t hold heat well. I call BS. 

Where's the BS? You have insulation problems or the temperature is set to high.

10 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

My ex flat mate for one. Went mental at the electric bill but refused to turn his heater off whilst he'd sit their in a t-shirt and shorts. 

Gotta be honest, I always did this, even in my old flat when I couldn't get the temperature  above 12° in the winter even with the heating on all day, I'd still be wearing shorts and t-shirt, its only been since last winter that I have taken to wearing joggers and a hoodie at home, the ideal temperature for me is around 18° so I'm not one to keep the heating on all the time.

My plumber pal hasn't got a thermostat in his house. He's a bit of a geek when it comes to central heating stuff and says if you balance all your radiators and set the boiler correctly, you will save around 30-40% on heating the house. Great I thought, but what the hell is he going on on about balancing radiators, without a thermostat?? 😂

5 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

My plumber pal hasn't got a thermostat in his house. He's a bit of a geek when it comes to central heating stuff and says if you balance all your radiators and set the boiler correctly, you will save around 30-40% on heating the house. Great I thought, but what the hell is he going on on about balancing radiators, without a thermostat?? 😂

Does he mean making sure they're all bled and operating at maximum efficiency?

If half your rads are filled with air/sludge then it'll still take the same amount of energy to get them 40% as warm as they could be.

Making sure your rads aren't overkill is a good idea too.  The new styled "flat" rads take about 2/3s less water in them to heat to the same temp.  They cool down quicker, but heating them up takes minutes, not half hour.

Edit, handy tool to see which size rad you should have, for what space you have;

https://www.onlyradiators.co.uk/btu-calculator

Edited by lapal_fan

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Does he mean making sure they're all bled and operating at maximum efficiency?

Balancing the radiators is a different thing. So that they all heat up at a similar rate and to the same full temp. I think it involves turning the heating on then running around them all feeling which heat up first and winding them back a bit so that others get the benefit. There’s a bit of an art to a properly balanced setup I think.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Balancing the radiators is a different thing. So that they all heat up at a similar rate and to the same full temp. I think it involves turning the heating on then running around them all feeling which heat up first and winding them back a bit so that others get the benefit. There’s a bit of an art to a properly balanced setup I think.

I’ve always thought it’s a bit of a waste of time, unless you’re going to have every radiator on in every room and want each room to be at the same temp. I mean if you want, say bedrooms off or cooler than say living rooms during the day, then it’s a bit pointless. Also, I guess with energy prices being what they are, the best way to save money is to turn off rads in rooms until you’re going to be in them, or to have smart valves on timers or schedules, all of which kind of negate the whole balancing thing to a large degree, though if you have one or two rads that heat up way faster than the rest, throttling those back a bit is a good idea (or seeing if the others can be opened up more).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Genie said:

What he said. Water will always take the path of least resistance in a central heating system with the radiator farthest away from the boiler or the water having to go round lots of bends heating up the slowest. Its very much a dark art getting the system balanced.

Â