Energy Bills

Genie

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Joking aside. Am I missing lighting?

Just plug in appliances.

Lighting is very much dependant on what you have in your house.  LEDs/Non-LED, do you have a single lamp or a cluster? Table lamps etc etc.

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Christ, you sure do drill a lot

I'm an Energy and Sustainability Manager - it's my job to give info like this ;) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Just plug in appliances.

Lighting is very much dependant on what you have in your house.  LEDs/Non-LED, do you have a single lamp or a cluster? Table lamps etc etc.

I'm an Energy and Sustainability Manager - it's my job to give info like this ;) 

Any idea how much Amazon echo dots cost to be on standby all their lives? 

On 03/04/2022 at 00:14, Mr_Dogg said:

Where's the BS? You have insulation problems or the temperature is set to high.

I call BS because I walk in the house on the odd occasions where the heating is off and I think the house is warm, and she says it’s freezing 🤑

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

We kn....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

This.

Imagine being in a WhatsApp group with him. Lightswitch this, insulation that, if only he knew the energy it takes to be his $*&£ing real life friend!

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Any idea how much Amazon echo dots cost to be on standby all their lives? 

This is not your energy hog. Stuff like that uses eff all, realistically you could run them off batteries for a considerable time without changing them if they build them that way. It'll be way less than a £1 a month per dot

EDIT: I found this

Obviously, an Echo uses up slightly more electricity when it’s actively being used, whether that’s playing music or just telling you the weather. Here’s what my Echo devices were pulling while I had music playing (displayed as a range based on the volume of the music):

Echo Dot: 2.1-2.4 watts (2.25 watts on average)
1st-Gen Echo: 3.1-3.4 watts (3.25 watts on average)
2nd-Gen Echo: 2.4-3.4 watts (2.9 watts on average)
Echo Plus: 3.0-4.3 watts (3.65 watts on average)
Echo Spot: 2.6-3.2 watts (2.9 watts on average, and with screen brightness at its lowest)
This adds slightly more to your monthly cost, but not by much. As an example, let’s say I play music and do other stuff on my 2nd-gen Echo for a total of 1.5 hours per day on average. After a month, this would cost me around $0.22—not much more at all.

Obviously, as you can see from the lower energy usage of the Echo Dot, you’ll pay less if you have one of those smaller siblings. But even a full-size Echo won’t really make a dent in your electricity bill.

How To Geek

Saved you having to read anymore yawny Spreadsheets :D

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is not your energy hog. Stuff like that uses eff all, realistically you could run them off batteries for a considerable time without changing them if they build them that way. It'll be way less than a £1 a month per dot

Saying that, if you have 6 @£1 a month (like I do) it’s another £72 onto the annual bill.

I agree it’s the thin end of the wedge but all these little devices add up. 

Just now, Genie said:

Saying that, if you have 6 @£1 a month (like I do) it’s another £72 onto the annual bill.

I agree it’s the thin end of the wedge but all these little devices add up. 

Not, I was overtly exaggerating for convenience. See the stuff I posted, it's way less than a £1, all 6 would probably only be £2 a month even on the new prices

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

This.

Imagine being in a WhatsApp group with him. Lightswitch this, insulation that, if only he knew the energy it takes to be his $*&£ing real life friend!

It made me cry with how much you have your heating on 6 years ago, let alone now! :lol: 

;) 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not, I was overtly exaggerating for convenience. See the stuff I posted, it's way less than a £1, all 6 would probably only be £2 a month even on the new prices

Hence why I’m curious about their cost. Hopefully it’s extremely low because x6 devices running 24/7 it’ll add up (hopefully to still not a lot).

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

It made me cry with how much you have your heating on 6 years ago, let alone now! :lol: 

;) 

What make and model device did you use to measure this?  I've just bought a cheap plug in meter off Amazon, worried it won't be accurate

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Hence why I’m curious about their cost. Hopefully it’s extremely low because x6 devices running 24/7 it’ll add up (hopefully to still not a lot).

It is not worth your energy even thinking about this. Charging a phone, every day, for example, costs a £1 or less a year. 

The big items need your focus.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What make and model device did you use to measure this?  I've just bought a cheap plug in meter off Amazon, worried it won't be accurate

I would imagine he used the cheapest of all devices, maths

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

I would imagine he used the cheapest of all devices, maths

Oh, I thought he had used actual measured consumption but, yes, he's just using average consumption.  I'm pretty convinced than some of my devices are using more power than they're supposed to so I need to actually measure the specific device.

19 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Imagine doing this once a week for 3-4 months 🤦‍♂️ what a idiot i am. Just been wasting money.

My tumble dryer ia bosch and it doesnt dry the clothes quickly. Its abit shit to be honest 

I actually have a electric heater but i realised this after a couple uses and was like just put the frigging heating on be cheaper. Thanks for your advice

I've got a new Hotpoint tumble dryer.  Takes 60 mins to dry thin/small items and 90 minutes for thicker things.   We don't use the sensor as that dries it for longer than is needed.

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I've got a new Hotpoint tumble dryer.  Takes 60 mins to dry thin/small items and 90 minutes for thicker things.   We don't use the sensor as that dries it for longer than is needed.

We have several settings for how dry we’d like the items before it shuts off. It’s really useful.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

We have several settings for how dry we’d like the items before it shuts off. It’s really useful.

Oh yeah, we probably can change the sensor settings to decide how dry we want the clothes. I should read the manual! 

Â