Energy Bills

Genie

How the frigging hell do all these devices that basically never leave standby get grade A rating for energy efficiency. Really pisses me off that most devices can't be properly turned off anymore. 

We have a fridge freezer that's recessed into a cupboard space, not built in. 

A load of trays sit on top of it blocking most of the gap.  I've noticed for a while how hot it gets on top.  I'm sure that pisses away a lot of power making it work harder so I've moved the trays away to open up the gap and moved it a bit further forward.  

Probably daft but you never know. 

21 minutes ago, ender4 said:

You got me to check my consumption of electricity.  It’s 4,800 kWh for the year, similar to yours. We are 2 adults and 2 kids.

Seems pretty normal, we don’t use anything more than anyone else as far as I’m aware. Also have a second freezer like you. Heating and hot water use gas.

My guess is TVs and charging phones and tablets etc.

4.903 here. Family of 4, 2 freezers, tumble dryer that goes on every day. We also generally have the heating on 24/7 so tbh I’m surprised we’re not triple the average. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

My last statement had annual electricity usage at 3,572kWh, family of 4.

1,456kWh for my last 12 months. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Are you saying that if charger wires are plugged in but not connected to anything then they still use electricity?

They do if the switch is on or it's a USB port. There's a capacitor in them that effectively makes them small batteries and constantly recharging. 

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-10640385/Vampire-electrical-appliances-sucking-cash-bank-account.html

16 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

They do if the switch is on or it's a USB port. There's a capacitor in them that effectively makes them small batteries and constantly recharging. 

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-10640385/Vampire-electrical-appliances-sucking-cash-bank-account.html

That is crazy. I normally have 4 cables plugged into USB ports 24/7. Never realised they still use power.

Edit - the comments on that article seem to indicate the article is wrong and each charger wire still plugged in uses around under £1 a year.

So now I don’t know what to think.

Edited by ender4

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

That is crazy. I normally have 4 cables plugged into USB ports 24/7. Never realised they still use power.

My wife is always telling me off for having phone chargers plugged in or laptop chargers connected when not in use. It's the same for TVs in standby mode. 

Chargers, TVs on standby, microwave on standby - all minimal output really. The drain is washing machines, tumble dryers, dishwashers and fridge freezers. 

• Like 1

I’m surprised ours is relatively low.

Family of 4, 4 bed house. We’re both working from home, both have 2 monitors. Children both have Xbox’s on all day. 
We don’t have a dishwasher, but do have a tumble dryer.

7 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I relocated from Yorkshire to Cheshire last year as was assured by my boss that it wasn't a problem as we were remote working. They now want me back in 2 days a week at 80 miles each way. That's going to be about £50 a day at a guess. 

Wtf are you driving to spend £50 a day doing 160 miles a day?

In your average 50mpg car thats three gallons, even at todays prices thats about £25 a day

Just got a SMART meter - £20 to do what you want with a dishwasher, £50 quid to adjust your behaviour with a shower - your bill for the year will be £3k - it's no longer in your feable hands.

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Wtf are you driving to spend £50 a day doing 160 miles a day?

In your average 50mpg car thats three gallons, even at todays prices thats about £25 a day

I did say at a guess. It would be 160 miles driving in rush hour so I'm guessing there'd be a fair amount of wastage. 

Even if it's £25 a day, it's a completely unnecessary £25 a day as I've WFH without issue for 2 years. I'm also not getting a £50 a week payrise to cover it or the 4 or 5 hours lost sitting in traffic. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Rob182 said:

4.903 here. Family of 4, 2 freezers, tumble dryer that goes on every day. We also generally have the heating on 24/7 so tbh I’m surprised we’re not triple the average. 

When you say the heating is on 24/7 do you mean you have it set to a temperature?

TV licence cancelled

Virgin TV cancelled 

saving - £40.37 per month

Aside from sports I don't watch any TV at all really but I have Sky Go, BT and IPTV so I'll be absolutely fine with that...makes me wonder why I didn't cancel it all earlier

47 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

The biggest consumer of electricity is an electric shower. Teenagers spending 30 minutes in there will murder your bills.

Exactly. I need to stop letting all the local teenagers use mine :ph34r:

• Haha 4

My showers are hooked up to the heating / hot water tanks so not electric showers. Is it something people can do retrospectively to get their electricity bill down? 

Edited by Genie

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Exactly. I need to stop letting all the local teenagers use mine :ph34r:

What will you do with all those spy cams if you do that. 

• Haha 1

Â