Energy Bills

Genie

The condenser filter is usually hidden behind a drop down flap at the bottom front of a dryer. It's often forgotten. What I tend to do is run warm water through it and it pushes the build up of lint out. I do this ever 4-6 weeks. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

THIS will be far more important than putting less clothes in

No I'm not talking about that filter, there will be another one, much larger THERE ARE TWO FILTERS! its this bigger one than needs cleaning occasionally, if this one is clogged it won't matter that you are putting less clothes in, you will be wasting £££ every time you use it. Because the cycle will last longer and longer

Serious, check the large filter at the bottom of the machine, it should be the first thing you do if the machine isn't working as it should. If you don't do this you will continue to burn money. It's not hard, you open the panel, unclip the filter, pull out the box, defluff that as best you can and run it under a tap to get rid of the rest and then let it dry.

If it's a condenser this cartridge/filter will be full of damp fluff. I use a hosepipe to blast mine clean then leave it to dry. 

• Like 1

This is what you need to look for @Demitri_C

o2j24hgz637094027860124070.JPG

It’ll probably be at the bottom of the front of the dryer. Rotate the clips, slide it out, it’s it’s full of fluff then it’s makes it harder to expel the moisture from the drum and take longer.

You can hose pipe it, or run it under a tap if you have space then let it dry out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’ll probably be at the bottom of the front of the dryer. Rotate the clips, slide it out, it’s it’s full of fluff then it’s makes it harder to expel the moisture from the drum and take longer.

You can hose pipe it, or run it under a tap if you have space then let it dry out.

How often are you supposed to do this? I ask given the fact that we moved into our house in 2017 with the dryer already there, and I only learned this thing existed from this thread... so that's a minimum of 5 years without being touched

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, og1874 said:

How often are you supposed to do this? I ask given the fact that we moved into our house in 2017 with the dryer already there, and I only learned this thing existed from this thread... so that's a minimum of 5 years without being touched

You’re going to be shocked how quickly your clothes dry all of a sudden 😂

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

You’re going to be shocked how quickly your clothes dry all of a sudden 😂

The crazy thing is that it’ll already dry a duvet right out of the washer in 55 mins. It’s a relic of a dryer, but I’m assuming this will shave some minutes off that and save a few sheckles every month 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

THIS will be far more important than putting less clothes in

No I'm not talking about that filter, there will be another one, much larger THERE ARE TWO FILTERS! its this bigger one than needs cleaning occasionally, if this one is clogged it won't matter that you are putting less clothes in, you will be wasting £££ every time you use it. Because the cycle will last longer and longer

Serious, check the large filter at the bottom of the machine, it should be the first thing you do if the machine isn't working as it should. If you don't do this you will continue to burn money. It's not hard, you open the panel, unclip the filter, pull out the box, defluff that as best you can and run it under a tap to get rid of the rest and then let it dry.

Thanks for this. I will have to check this out as i suspect you might be on to something 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Thanks genie i bet as bicks said this is the reason. Glad i am not the only one who didnt know!!

Thanks guys took all your advice  pulled it all out and put under hot water and shit loads came out. I bet this is the reason.

This might sound like a stupid question but can i put filter straight back in now its washed out? Or do i have to leave it out overnight to dry?

Edited by Demitri_C

wahey, energy bill was 160 a month now its 350. just had to pay 506 off for over due balance as well. I am scared to bend down and pick anything up now, just in case any one else wants to surprise me!

Just now, bielesibub said:

wahey, energy bill was 160 a month now its 350. just had to pay 506 off for over due balance as well. I am scared to bend down and pick anything up now, just in case any one else wants to surprise me!

350 a month!!! Holy crap.

mine is $70-80 Canadian, or ~£50/mo

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, bickster said:

As someone else suggested, have you cleaned the filter? I'm not talking about the one you clear after every use, there's usually a much larger one in a box at the bottom of the machine that you have to unclip and pull out. If that filter is clogged up, your clothes won't dry properly eventually or it'll take much longer

On reading this, and aware of your caveat "usually", I thought "mine's only got one" but I checked and ...it has only got one. I think maybe it's because it's pretty old, maybe 15 years, and the modern ones do seem to have 2 filters.

But on the money saving aspect, I pretty much stopped using it once I did some working from home, because of that pandemic thing that used to be in the news - just used washing line and radiators in the winter. Apart from the odd towel going in there to fluff it up, it just loiters in the garage, in the corner, looking a bit neglected.

OK, got my energy meter plugged into my beer fridge.

I'll leave it there 24 hours then compare to a normal fridge.  Then start moving it around to see if anything is standing out.

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

On reading this, and aware of your caveat "usually", I thought "mine's only got one" but I checked and ...it has only got one. I think maybe it's because it's pretty old, maybe 15 years, and the modern ones do seem to have 2 filters.

But on the money saving aspect, I pretty much stopped using it once I did some working from home, because of that pandemic thing that used to be in the news - just used washing line and radiators in the winter. Apart from the odd towel going in there to fluff it up, it just loiters in the garage, in the corner, looking a bit neglected.

If yours is really old, it might not have a condenser. Does it have a vent fixed to an external wall? If it does, it's unlikely to have to condenser filter, fairly sure our one from years ago didn't have the second filter

Just now, bickster said:

If yours is really old, it might not have a condenser. Does it have a vent fixed to an external wall? If it does, it's unlikely to have to condenser filter, fairly sure our one from years ago didn't have the second filter

Ah! Mine has the vent, probably explains why it hasn’t exploded from not clearing out the filter it probably doesn’t have lol

• Like 1

Â