Energy Bills

Genie

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This could be a game changer

“should” but won’t, for a while. The way electricity is priced means that even if they use gas for 5 minutes of the day then the entire days electricity is charged at the highest (gas produced) rate.

Just now, Genie said:

“should” but won’t, for a while. The way electricity is priced means that even if they use gas for 5 minutes of the day then the entire days electricity is charged at the highest (gas produced) rate.

Yep it will be a while but hopefully wont too long due to the urgency of not relying on russia

There are many more large offshore windfarms coming on line in the next few years.  The amount of renewables in the mix is just going to go up and up. We're bound to get days in the near to medium future where gas is not used at all. That's when we should see the real transformation of energy costs. 

It would help a hell of a lot if The Tories would allow onshore wind and hadn't effectively killed the cheapest form of power for 10 years. 

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Too late for my last DD on the 28th May but it was suggested I lower it from £210 to £201. They've already suggested I lower it again to £166.

I'm somehow £500+ in debit at the moment after my latest meter readings. I'm not raising my DD any more than it is at the moment (160pm) so hopefully it starts eating away at it over the next few months. Propper raising my anxiety all this energy bollocks.

I might have asked this before, but why is it that UK use this pre-payment debit scheme instead of just paying a bill for usage each month? You don't even have a proper winter to contend with higher usage. Seams like a interest-fee loan to the energy -companies.

32 minutes ago, Tegis said:

I might have asked this before, but why is it that UK use this pre-payment debit scheme instead of just paying a bill for usage each month? You don't even have a proper winter to contend with higher usage. Seams like a interest-fee loan to the energy -companies.

Ermm.  we bloody well do.

The cost is averaged out over the year.  Traditionally you would be in debt to the energy company coming out of winter and develop a credit over the summer period.  @Dante_Lockhart shouldn't be hoping his current surplus erodes over the next couple of months because if he goes into Winter with a zero or negative balance when he starts upping the usage in Winter his bills are going to rocket.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tegis said:

I might have asked this before, but why is it that UK use this pre-payment debit scheme instead of just paying a bill for usage each month? You don't even have a proper winter to contend with higher usage. Seams like an interest-fee loan to the energy -companies.

Once upon a time we used to pay for monthly useage. A man would read the meter, a bill would be posted and you’d take the bill to the bank and pay it. When direct debit was introduced, which was cheaper to operate for the energy companies, they encouraged its uptake by setting slightly cheaper rates and also by saying “pay the same amount every month so you can budget effectively and you’ll go into credit in the summer and into debit in the winter, but overall across 12 months it’ll tally”. And that was fine, but then obviously the energy companies realised that they’d be able to profit if they set the monthly figure a bit too high. So they did. From time to time there’s a bit of a fuss and they have to say sorry and stop, but then…rinse and repeat.

We do have winters you scamp. It makes a huge difference to bills

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Ermm.  we bloody well do.

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

We do have winters you scamp

😘

I will say, a damp December on a UK football-terrace is amongst the coldest activities known to man. 🥶

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tegis said:

😘

I will say, a damp December on a UK football-terrace is amongst the coldest activities known to man. 🥶

There is a difference between having a proper Winter and having a ludicrous winter you know!

Diesel back at 147p here, such a piss take.

When oil prices drop they hold the price at the pumps for weeks and roll out BS about future orders etc not yet flowing through at the lower price.

Then 5 minutes after the Saudi’s say something about reducing output the price at the pump shoots up.

But it’s people wanting a payrise aligned to inflation that’s the problem.

• Like 1

Wholesale price back on the rise. 

Electric up to 21p/kWh (was 15p-ish last week). Gas above 5p for the first time in ages (was around 3.5p-ish for a good while). Hopefully nothing to be worried about.

41 minutes ago, Milfner said:

Wholesale price back on the rise. 

Electric up to 21p/kWh (was 15p-ish last week). Gas above 5p for the first time in ages (was around 3.5p-ish for a good while). Hopefully nothing to be worried about.

The Energy companies just increasing their dividend payouts , Shell is now 15%..

2 hours ago, tinker said:

The Energy companies just increasing their dividend payouts , Shell is now 15%..

Hope my pension pot improves as a result!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

At 10am tomorrow for an hour and a half the Octopus Agile tariff is going into negative cost, i.e. you get paid to use electricity! Will be plugging the car in then definitely!!!

Just run the tumble dryer non-stop for 90 minutes!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I mean, when you put it like that.

Hopefully 99% of the energy increase is people just shifting their inevitable power use that'd otherwise occur at other times, but it really doesn't take **** Poirot to work out that incentivising people to use as much power as they possibly can might be a really shit move ecologically speaking. 

"All the **** lights on, every appliance you can. Get the oven on max, and start mining bitcoin, they're paying us!". 

They make out that they pride themselves on sustainability, but perhaps they don't value it quite as much as marketing stunts.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Knowing my luck the expected extra wind that will be generating excess power will be replaced by no wind and a massive power shortage, ramping up prices to unprecedented levels, all whilst I'm charging the car and running the tumble dryer.

• Haha 1

Â