Energy Bills

Genie

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/04/2023 at 14:26, foreveryoung said:

Hearing fuel maybe rising again after a couple of weeks being at its cheapest for a while. Apparently the Saudis are reducing the amount of oil being produced which will Increase the price of a barrel. Crazy this!!

Put some Super in today and was more expensive than it was a few weeks back. 159.9 today - was 154.9 last time from memory. 

• 3 weeks later...

4 billion profit in the first quarter for BP, 7 Billion for Shell, please don't try justify it, we're being ripped off no doubt. 

Kills me that with cost of living payments, the government are helping them reach these insane profits. 

I am no economist but according to the general media the reason why inflation is so high, is fuel costs, that affect food production, delivery, manufacturing etc etc. 

So is the reason therefore why inflation is so high is the pure greed of the energy/oil companies deliberately inflating their fuel costs to us in order to purely profiteer from the Russian/Ukraine war?

Or is that too simplistic?

Our tariff with Shell (who we were forced to move to when our previous provider went bump) was 33p/kWh.

We eventually managed to move to Octopus agile and our first monthly average tariff was.... 22p/kWh.

Given we have an electric car that is some saving.

But how can there be such a huge discrepancy?

I'm currently locked into a commercial rates for my old flat I can't shift - so it's shared electricity and not based on individual consumption.

I'm dreading the forecast for next years accounts - so what are people saying, are bills coming down, is the lag taking time?

17 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I'm currently locked into a commercial rates for my old flat I can't shift - so it's shared electricity and not based on individual consumption.

I'm dreading the forecast for next years accounts - so what are people saying, are bills coming down, is the lag taking time?

They are coming down. I think this summer we’ll see another drop. 

• Like 1

Yeah they're dropping pretty steadily now. Today's rates:

Gas 4.38p/KWH (has been above 5p once in four weeks).

Electricity 19.2p/KWH (hasn't been above 20p in a couple weeks, dropped below 18p last week too). 

Shame we're paying 10.24p for gas and 32.81p for gas eh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milfner said:

Yeah they're dropping pretty steadily now. Today's rates:

Gas 4.38p/KWH (has been above 5p once in four weeks).

Electricity 19.2p/KWH (hasn't been above 20p in a couple weeks, dropped below 18p last week too). 

Shame we're paying 10.24p for gas and 32.81p for gas eh.

Strange timing but Octopus just emailed to say that I can now move over their tracker tariff so it's in line with these prices :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milfner said:

Strange timing but Octopus just emailed to say that I can now move over their tracker tariff so it's in line with these prices :) 

Been on the Octopus Tracker since February, reckon it's cut my energy bills by about 60%

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

I managed to jump on the Octopus Gas tracker in Feb before word got out and they started putting everyone on a (6 month) waiting list.

@Milfner were you waiting long for the invite to Electric Tracker?

I switched in around late January I think so since then.

• Like 1

For those worried about Heat Pumps because they've heard the daily stories in The Telegraph, The Express and The Daily Mail. 

https://www.energylivenews.com/2023/05/10/british-gas-offers-money-back-if-heat-pumps-arent-up-to-scratch/

British Gas offers money back if heat pumps aren’t up to scratch

The company has said that if heat pumps don’t heat homes as well as gas boilers, customers will be refunded

The company has made the ‘Warm Home Promise’ in a bid to see more people take up heat pumps, lowering its own carbon footprint and that of its clientele.

Its new scheme includes a five-year guarantee and it has pledged to match any offer given by a competitor below its installation fee of £2,999.

If the heat pump doesn’t provide the temperature agreed on, buyers will get all their money back, British Gas has said.

It revealed that it has installed more heat pumps than any other business and is currently training 3,500 engineers to complete future installations.

“We recognise that the transition from a boiler to a heat pump can be daunting and want to reassure our customers that they can effectively heat their home, even through the coldest spells in Winter.

“Our engineers are ready to guide consumers through this process and we are making sure they are as affordable and accessible as possible.”

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

For those worried about Heat Pumps because they've heard the daily stories in The Telegraph, The Express and The Daily Mail. 

https://www.energylivenews.com/2023/05/10/british-gas-offers-money-back-if-heat-pumps-arent-up-to-scratch/

British Gas offers money back if heat pumps aren’t up to scratch

The company has said that if heat pumps don’t heat homes as well as gas boilers, customers will be refunded

Temp agreed 15 degrees max. 😂

https://www.energylivenews.com/2023/05/10/energy-bills-to-drop-by-440-in-july/

‘Energy bills to drop by £440 in July’

From July, energy bills are set to drop by £440 for millions of households.

That’s according to analysts at Cornwall Insight, who claim that the average home will be paying £2,060 each year for their energy from July.

Electricity is expected to fall in price by 3.65p, with gas dropping by 2.75p.

The reason for the fall in prices is the government’s Energy Price Guarantee will be finishing in July – which had kept the cost of bills frozen at £2,500.

Ofgem is set to announce the July price cap later this month, after the price of wholesale gas and electricity has fallen.

“Some energy suppliers will potentially look to leverage this opportunity to bring back fixed tariffs on or around the price cap, with stable projections lowering concerns they will lose out over the fixed term.”

The company estimates the price cap could reach £2,098 in October.

• Like 3

I’m sure we’ll all see this great news in our energy bills

Wind turbines have generated more electricity than gas for the first time in the UK.

In the first three months of this year a third of the country's electricity came from wind farms, research from Imperial College London have shown.

National Grid has also confirmed that April saw a record period of solar energy generation.

Link

• Like 1

I've finally give up in thinking all this increase in bills etc are down matters out of our hands, like Ukraine etc.

In reality, we are just being well and truely ripped off, to line the far cats pockets and pay off the immense Tory debt.

• Like 1

Â