Energy Bills

Genie

20 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Which BG tarriff are you on?

I signed up for the 24 month fixed one not so lpng ago - think it is v4.

I’m on the same but v2. They have a 12 month one over £100 a year less for me but I’ll wait a couple of week’s and see what appears

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ender4 said:

Ohhh that’s good to know. 

Yep, even when fixed they still offer a selection of other fixed deals and if you take another BG fixed rate there’s no fee to pay for exiting a deal early.

17 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Which BG tarriff are you on?

I signed up for the 24 month fixed one not so lpng ago - think it is v4.

I just looked and there’s another new one, 12 month fix called “The Fixed One v35”.

About £165 a year less for me than my current 24 month fix.

On the various money saving ideas, like the half price hours on Sundays and getting a quid for not doing anything on a Friday afternoon, in December I have saved / earned £5.11

Not too scruffy when we had time off over Christmas and extra people around for a couple of weeks.

It’s not going to change my lifestyle, but hey, I’d soon moan if the bill had gone up £5.11

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

On the various money saving ideas, like the half price hours on Sundays and getting a quid for not doing anything on a Friday afternoon, in December I have saved / earned £5.11

Not too scruffy when we had time off over Christmas and extra people around for a couple of weeks.

It’s not going to change my lifestyle, but hey, I’d soon moan if the bill had gone up £5.11

My peak save for December was £10.18, total peak save rewards are now £30.18. Better than a poke in the eye.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

My peak save for December was £10.18, total peak save rewards are now £30.18. Better than a poke in the eye.

Excellent result, I’m only just over a tenner in total.

I’ll have to have a word with the staff. 

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Excellent result, I’m only just over a tenner in total.

I’ll have to have a word with the staff. 

I don't quite know how but I got a £20 bonus somewhere along the line.

I think I was opting into all of those mid-week ones 5-6pm where you’re supposed to reduce energy. I don’t think I saved anything but they gave me a bonus for opting in I think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I just looked and there’s another new one, 12 month fix called “The Fixed One v35”.

Yeah - there is a fair yearly reduction in price if you fix for a shorter period.

Are you tempted with the 12 month fixing instead?

Spoiler

mr-bean-copy.gif

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Yeah - there is a fair yearly reduction in price if you fix for a shorter period.

Are you tempted with the 12 month fixing instead?

Reveal hidden contents

mr-bean-copy.gif

I’m not against a 12 month fix but I think they’ll come down more over the next few weeks. I could potentially take what’s on offer now and then fix again in a few weeks but instead I’ll hold fire for a little bit and then take the plunge. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There’s a few new fixed rate deals on British Gas

I can jump onto a 12 month fix at £200 a year saving

or

Jump onto another 24 month fix saving £121 a year.

🤔

18 hours ago, Genie said:

There’s a few new fixed rate deals on British Gas

I can jump onto a 12 month fix at £200 a year saving

or

Jump onto another 24 month fix saving £121 a year.

🤔

Do the first one. The prices won't go back up.

19 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Do the first one. The prices won't go back up.

I was just about to do this.

My only nervousness is the instability in the middle east causing a shock to oil prices but I will take the punt I think. Thanks for the nudge .

Edit: and done. I think it’s great that BG let you bounce from fix to fix penalty free when they launch a cheaper tariff (maybe it’s a glitch?).

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Genie said:

I was just about to do this.

My only nervousness is the instability in the middle east causing a shock to oil prices but I will take the punt I think. Thanks for the nudge .

Edit: and done. I think it’s great that BG let you bounce from fix to fix penalty free when they launch a cheaper tariff (maybe it’s a glitch?).

No these markets aren't interested in geopolitics at the moment. Ongoing demand destruction is the drive. It'll all tighten up this year but we won't see prices go back up much if at all.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/01/2024 at 13:03, Genie said:

When i look at the BG tariffs it only shows me one variable rate, one 2-year fixed and one 'Price Promise' (1-year fixed).  The 1 year and 2 year fixed are similar monthly cost to my current Price Cap variable with Ovo. 

Is the good deals just for existing customers?  Is BG better than other companies like Octopus?

23 minutes ago, ender4 said:

When i look at the BG tariffs it only shows me one variable rate, one 2-year fixed and one 'Price Promise' (1-year fixed).  The 1 year and 2 year fixed are similar monthly cost to my current Price Cap variable with Ovo. 

Is the good deals just for existing customers?  Is BG better than other companies like Octopus?

Thats all I had too. Price promise seems to be the best deal around at the moment, but if BG add a better fixed deal in the next weeks or months you should be able to jump again onto it penalty free.

I’m not sure about Octopus, I have read that they have some very good deals but haven’t looked first hand.

• Thanks 1

Â