Energy Bills

Genie

7 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Kinda like an opinion poll. it's measuring what organisations perceive corruption in the public sector to be. Corporate corruption / private sector corruption doesn't even get considered. The creator of it no longer works for the organisation responsible for it citing the way it was used to corrupt peoples perceptions.

The corruption index was corrupting people? 🤣🤣

• Like 1

On 07/10/2023 at 00:14, luckyeddie said:

We don't need to be. Our laws make all the corruption legal. This is what happens when you don't have a proper revolution for 1000 years. There has been no reset for the common people.

There was a revolution, it was called the English Civil War, and we got rid of the Monarchy. 

We just messed it up so much that we needed to reset the first reset.

I'd also argue that there's plenty of countries that have had revolutions and still have massive issues (Russia, USA, France etc).

On 06/10/2023 at 21:44, Xela said:

Crazy thing is, the UK is probably one of the least corrupt countries in the world. 

Yeah but how do they measure and know corruption? Surely the point of corruption is that they hide it well!

27 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Saw the news, price cap might be rising again next April. Ofgem obviously got a taste of the profits last year and want more, gotta keep up with the corporates.

I imagine it is more related to global oil & prices plus demand, rather than Ofgem but still bad news for us. It’ll also keep inflation up. 

I really can't see how domestic prices can go up or even maintain their high levels. The wholesale price is going through each day absolutely max twice what the old pre energy crisis were. And has been doing that for six months. Last year wholesale market was 4.5 times the old prices for the whole year average and so understandably the domestic costs rocketed.

I think it might be that they calculate it off a 6 month price lag of forward seasons which are premium heavy rather than the reality day to day price, and perhaps why we were shielded from the higher prices for 9 months a year before it hit our bills.

Either way, we should be seeing our home rates falling considerably. It a very similar feel to petrol and the oil link. Oil collapsed by 15% last few weeks and there's a token 1-2% reduction on the forecourts. 

Edited by turvontour

12 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I really can't see how domestic prices can go up or even maintain their high levels. The wholesale price is going through each day absolutely max twice what the old pre energy crisis were. And has been doing that for six months. Last year wholesale market was 4.5 times the old prices fir the whole year average and so understandably the domestic costs rocketed.

I think it might be that they calculate it off a 6 month price lag of forward seasons which are premium heavy rather than the reality day to day price, and perhaps why we were shielded from the higher prices for 9 months a year before it hit our bills.

Either way, we should be seeing our home rates falling considerably. It a very similar feel to petrol and the oil link. Oil collapsed by 15% last few weeks and there's a token 1-2% reduction on the forecourts. 

If oil prices go up then the fuel pumps go up immediately.

If oil price goes down we hear the story about how it’s purchased many months in advance and it’ll take time to reflect at the pumps. 

Pisses me off.

• Like 3

Heard the war in Israel is gonna bump oil prices up too, f*** me any excuse it really is. I'm sure the French bed bugs will effect the prices next.

As for it not being Ofgems fault, they set a price cap, they should stick to it. Its a waste of space if everytime prices go up, the cap does, so yes Ofgem should included in the words removed that raise prices.

I've just taken a 12 month fix at £50 below the price cap.

I don't see companies offering anything massively below the price cap for the foreseeable, thought I may as well take the £50.

And at 12 months only I'm not going to lose my shirt if they do all decide to get competitive with one another

I’m fixed until next August time. It’s pretty close to the last cap. It’s really just for peace of mind.

There was a slightly cheaper fix that would have taken me to October but I’m holding out for something that’ll see me through next winter.

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Genie said:

The US and UK strikes on Yemen, plus war in Gaza. Hopefully these are not the triggers for another energy crisis. 

If they don't use this as an excuse they'll find something else

• Like 1

Just now, rjw63 said:

If they don't use this as an excuse they'll find something else

If there’s a half decent fixed deal on gas/electric I’d get on it for peace of mind. 

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

The US and UK strikes on Yemen, plus war in Gaza. Hopefully these are not the triggers for another energy crisis. 

Gas and Oil market prices already on the move 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

If there’s a half decent fixed deal on gas/electric I’d get on it for peace of mind. 

Our electric deal runs out around June, and we are on LPG so the gas doesn't matter

15 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Our electric deal runs out around June, and we are on LPG so the gas doesn't matter

I have a 2 year fix with British Gas but the good thing is they offer all the other fix rate deals and can switch for free. So if prices come right down I can switch to a cheaper one, if they shoot up I’m covered. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Energy price drops on the horizon.

British Gas already offering me a cheaper fix (about £15 a month lower) but I think better deals will come in the next few weeks.

The good thing about BG is that you can hop from fix to fix penalty free if the price goes down.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

British Gas already offering me a cheaper fix (about £15 a month lower) but I think better deals will come in the next few weeks.

The good thing about BG is that you can hop from fix to fix penalty free if the price goes down.

Which BG tarriff are you on?

I signed up for the 24 month fixed one not so lpng ago - think it is v4.

• Like 1

Â