Energy Bills

Genie

Mate was away for a month over Christmas/New year. 

Came back to a £140 gas/leccy bill; same as when they were at home the previous month. Octopus shrugging their shoulders saying it's correct.

The fact the smart meter has never worked seems to escape them.

15 minutes ago, tinker said:

Do they ? Surely it depends on what side of the counter your on. 

Great news for the hard up energy producers, getting paid over market value for gas and electricity.

For everyone else it’s a shitty situation.

On 27/01/2023 at 20:46, Tegis said:

£700 this month for electricity (heatpump). About the same as last year but that was a freezing month and we didn't cheap out on the heating. Looks like prices are coming down though.

Boring money to spend

240 this month. Prices are down to normal-ish and better whether. \o/

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

Mate was away for a month over Christmas/New year. 

Came back to a £140 gas/leccy bill; same as when they were at home the previous month. Octopus shrugging their shoulders saying it's correct.

The fact the smart meter has never worked seems to escape them.

That sounds ludicrous and really does deserve an explanation.

Balls, a price rise for LPG has finally caught us. Eleven pence per litre. From 35ppl to 46.

Our last bill would have been over fifty quid higher at that rate. 

On 20/02/2023 at 14:32, Davkaus said:

We went away for a few days, I came back to find the heating had been put on before we left "so the cat doesn't get cold" 

Burning Money GIFs | Tenor

Well without wishing to rub your nose in it, that has been one of the advantages of the smart meter / hive thing. Whenever we go away, or find ourselves out all day when we hadn’t expected to, or whatever other turn of events happens when we are out, I just knock off the heating via the app.

Although this actually translates in chrisonomics to being away, knocking off the heating for 3 days, working out in the middle of winter that’s saved me £30, so going down to the bar and spending £30 ‘for free’.

• Like 1

Just had an email from Britsh Gas saying don't worry you are still covered by the energy price guarantee- but that is going to go up in April, so lube up baby.  It does seem strange that your bills are to increase yet again when we are entering springtime.  But that is the mental world we are living in.

32 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Just had an email from Britsh Gas saying don't worry you are still covered by the energy price guarantee- but that is going to go up in April, so lube up baby.  It does seem strange that your bills are to increase yet again when we are entering springtime.  But that is the mental world we are living in.

And that the wholsesale price is the lowest it's been in two years or so

Interesting that the Hebei Jingye Steel Company Ltd. (you might know them as British Steel) are suggesting they might be pulling out of the UK and concentrating efforts in Germany, partly because their energy costs are so much lower in Germany.

That’s Germany that was so dependent on Russian gas, now offering cheaper energy to steel companies than the U.K. does.

Would one of the basics of our defence strategy need to include the ability to produce steel in the U.K.? But then, I guess if the Chinese own British Steel its not that big a deal. Don’t let them sell cctv cameras to local authorities though, that could be a security risk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Interesting that the Hebei Jingye Steel Company Ltd. (you might know them as British Steel) are suggesting they might be pulling out of the UK and concentrating efforts in Germany, partly because their energy costs are so much lower in Germany.

That’s Germany that was so dependent on Russian gas, now offering cheaper energy to steel companies than the U.K. does.

Would one of the basics of our defence strategy need to include the ability to produce steel in the U.K.? But then, I guess if the Chinese own British Steel its not that big a deal. Don’t let them sell cctv cameras to local authorities though, that could be a security risk.

The government have literally no strategy for anything. Everything is crumbling around them and all they can do is stare and think of ways to blame it on the party ruling 13 years ago.

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

The government have literally no strategy for anything. Everything is crumbling around them and all they can do is stare and think of ways to blame it on the party ruling 13 years ago.

And how to stop the boats. Don't take your eye off the ball here. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

E.ON are doing my nut in. I bought my house in January 2021 and found that whilst my electric meter was on an account, the gas was pre-payment. I phoned up N Power (provider at the time) and asked if they’d swap the gas over to an account. They told me that they were in the process of being taken over by E.ON so weren’t swapping out meters. 

I sort of forgot about it until last month when yet again I had to go round the shop and top up the gas. I phoned E.ON and asked if they’d swap my meter, and while they were at it, upgrade my electric meter to a smart meter. They said they would do both, and that was booked in for today. The engineer turned up this morning but after a quick chat I realised he was only here to swap the electric meter. I’ve just got off the phone with E.ON and not only have they told me that there is no booking for the gas, they said they are only swapping pre-payment meters for people with disabilities because they don’t have the facility to credit check customers. 

How is that even possible? 

56 minutes ago, av1 said:

they said they are only swapping pre-payment meters for people with disabilities because they don’t have the facility to credit check customers. 

How is that even possible? 

Prepayment meters make them more money. They're financially incentivised to have shit processes in place to make it difficult/impossible to move away from them. You can bet your life you'd be off it in a flash if they were a less profitable last resort.

• Like 1

Â