Energy Bills

Genie

Octopus are showing that current wholesale price is much lower than the tariffs most of the country is on… it absolutely needs to change for millions of people.

The population should automatically be on wholesale OR capped, whichever is cheapest. 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Ita a **** shit show. People should noy be standing for this shit, the russian war is their excuse for this

Well, we left Shell today for Octopus. Should have done it earlier but...

I suspect that Octopus are being bombarded with requests at the moment for being at least superficially a company with morals.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I think it's the standing charges are whats killing us too, you know, "the money for nothing", cost, not far off £1 a day for gas and lecky combined.

Definitely. It’s not logical that they have gone up, the cost of maintaining the pipes and wires and meters is essentially no different, but the standing charges have shot up. The reason, I believe is for the government to claw back their costs incurred when bulb and all the others went bust. Basically customers of all firms are paying for the losses of those that went bankrupt. Even if you use no gas or lecky you still pay 25 quid a month or whatever the exact amount is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blandy said:

Definitely. It’s not logical that they have gone up, the cost of maintaining the pipes and wires and meters is essentially no different, but the standing charges have shot up. The reason, I believe is for the government to claw back their costs incurred when bulb and all the others went bust. Basically customers of all firms are paying for the losses of those that went bankrupt. Even if you use no gas or lecky you still pay 25 quid a month or whatever the exact amount is.

What costs did the government incur out of interest? 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

What costs did the government incur out of interest? 

Billions. Bulb on its own was 1.7 billion, plus because the government wouldn’t allow the now state owned version to hedge gas prices, a load more. Octopus recently took over their customers, but not the debt. Each time a company took over a bust company’s customers it cost money, which was paid for by the government, and they are clawing it all back, but by bit from all energy customers, as I understand it.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Billions. Bulb on its own was 1.7 billion, plus because the government wouldn’t allow the now state owned version to hedge gas prices, a load more. Octopus recently took over their customers, but not the debt. Each time a company took over a bust company’s customers it cost money, which was paid for by the government, and they are clawing it all back, but by bit from all energy customers, as I understand it.

Not doubting it happened, but what was the debt made up of? Wages? 

I assume all customers still had to pay their balances, unless some of it was written off when the supplier went bust?

I was with Peoples Energy who went under early, my balance was transferred to British Gas.

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not doubting it happened, but what was the debt made up of? Wages? 

I assume all customers still had to pay their balances, unless some of it was written off when the supplier went bust?

I was with Peoples Energy who went under early, my balance was transferred to British Gas.

I'm guessing (correct me if i'm wrong @blandy) but was down to the high wholesale prices. They were paying more to buy it than they were selling it for, to people on fixed rate tariffs. 

Big companies like British Gas, EON, Scottish Power, etc, can absorb the volatility of this by having hedging strategies in place and bigger cash reserves.  Smaller energy companies weren't equipped to deal with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â