Energy Bills

Genie

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Prepayment meters make them more money. They're financially incentivised to have shit processes in place to make it difficult/impossible to move away from them. You can bet your life you'd be off it in a flash if they were a less profitable last resort.

As soon as I got off the phone I called octopus and explained the situation. 

They said if I switch to them they will swap it over after 3 months. 

5 hours ago, Milfner said:

The tracker price with Octopus for gas has been half the amount as the standard tariff for the past five days... piss take. 

Its certainly a piss take if you're not lucky enough to be on it.

6 hours ago, Genie said:

I can’t believe the government cap rate is a fixed price, and not a max price.

It’s mental that even when the price drops the energy companies are still raking it in. 

The government has been paying the difference between the cost to the utility companies and the "limit" the gov't set on what they can charge us - so all the time that the cost was higher, we've been subsidised by the gov't. That's the first point.

the second point is that the energy distributors buy in advance, so what they are feeding to our homes they paid for at prices that were higher than they are now.

The third point is that, as the price has dropped now, as energy companies buy it, they will feed it to us in the next months at a (what should be) less eye watering price. But it's still got to fall below the gov't subsidy level for the gov't to stop making up the difference. It looks like the gov't is going to extend that support for a few more months, by which time things should be slightly less expensive for everyone.

But the whole pricing system is utterly mad. Problem is that contracts were signed in a different time and both parties need to agree is they are to be renegotiated, and obviously they don't - because the energy companies, or some of them are raking it in - wind and so on contracted at the gas price is way more profitable than wind contracted at more recent CFD levels (basically cost plus a small percentage for profit).

It's a complete failure, exposed by the war. It goes back years and gov't of poth parties is responsible.

• 2 weeks later...

Gas sub-5p for the first time in a long time on the Octopus tracker. Electricity was sub-20p for the first time too last week. 

Hopefully not far away from the first fixed deals...

• Like 2

On 20/03/2023 at 08:07, Milfner said:

Gas sub-5p for the first time in a long time on the Octopus tracker. Electricity was sub-20p for the first time too last week. 

Hopefully not far away from the first fixed deals...

Gas 4.7p & electrictiy 17.4p... 

• Like 3

First of the new fixed tariffs coming through 

Energy giant Ovo has launched its first deal for customers cheaper than the government's cap on household bills. 

The firm will offer a fixed 12-month tariff of £2,275 for existing customers, at a time when the government is limiting typical household bills to £2,500.

It comes as falling wholesale gas prices start feeding through to bills.

One expert urged caution on Ovo's deal, predicting there would be cheaper deals in the months to come.

link

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

First of the new fixed tariffs coming through 

link

Yeah, some think it might dip below £2,000 by the end of the year.  I wouldn't be taking that fix now. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Will not make much difference now, money saved is now for increased council tax bills.

Yeah i hear that. Seems alot of outrage about gas and electric but everyone ok with council tax going significantly up and the council customer service is shit

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i hear that. Seems alot of outrage about gas and electric but everyone ok with council tax going significantly up and the council customer service is shit

Energy costs +100%, record profits
Council tax +4.99%, making deep cuts to maintain essential services

If the price of all my household bills went up less than half the annual rate of inflation I’d be happy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It's a bit of a pointless comparison.

Energy prices more than doubled in a year, and due to the way the cap works people are now paying more than the going rate, while private companies take in record profits. council tax went up by a few percent and they're still struggling to provide essential services.

Of course people were more angry about one than the other.

Fundamentally its not about the "profits" only its about what the common family being able to pay their bills.  Both of thwse have gone up.

How do you expect the families struggling alreafy to pay for the council tax increase?

Also are you telling me councils havent wasted money on rubbish schemes also? Its all goid saying that are under funded but councils waste money too

Just went on my online backing to check my direct debits and noticed that E-On haven’t taken any money since September last year. I’m not sure how I missed it (you just assume direct debits go out) and not sure what’s gone wrong, but I’m now expecting a hefty bill 🤨

54 minutes ago, av1 said:

Just went on my online backing to check my direct debits and noticed that E-On haven’t taken any money since September last year. I’m not sure how I missed it (you just assume direct debits go out) and not sure what’s gone wrong, but I’m now expecting a hefty bill 🤨

Have you been billed in that time and they just haven't taken payment?

If you haven't been billed, there's good news, have a look at the Ofgem Back-Billing principle - they can't bill you for energy used more than 12 months previously if the error is theirs. If they have billed you and simply haven't taken payment, I think you're out of luck on that front (though I'm not 100%, definitely worth getting a qualified opinion), and ultimately you do owe them the money for energy you've used, but I think it'd be in their interest as well as yours to set up a repayment plan over time.

If they've just let you fly under the radar and you're contacting them to put it right, hopefully that puts you in a far better position to negotiate them helping you spread the bill over time as well 

Edited by Davkaus

18 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Have you been billed in that time and they just haven't taken payment?

If you haven't been billed, there's good news, have a look at the Ofgem Back-Billing principle - they can't bill you for energy used more than 12 months previously if the error is theirs. If they have billed you and simply haven't taken payment, I think you're out of luck on that front (though I'm not 100%, definitely worth getting a qualified opinion), and ultimately you do owe them the money for energy you've used, but I think it'd be in their interest as well as yours to set up a repayment plan over time.

If they've just let you fly under the radar and you're contacting them to put it right, hopefully that puts you in a far better position to negotiate them helping you spread the bill over time as well 

As it’s only been 6/7 months I assume he has a big bill in his account waiting to be paid. 

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

As it’s only been 6/7 months I assume he has a big bill in his account waiting to be paid. 

You're absolutely right, for some reason I read "September last year" as not last September the one before. **** it's going to be a long week at work, my brain is fried already :D 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Yep looks like it. It’s my own fault for not noticing but I’ve no idea why they would stop taking the DD’s. 

8 hours ago, av1 said:

Yep looks like it. It’s my own fault for not noticing but I’ve no idea why they would stop taking the DD’s. 

Sometimes DD’s have an end date rather than being open ended. 

Â