Pre Match Thread

maqroll

14 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Sounds like you want a little more than a clean sheet 😀

Priorities Pete....clean sheet to build on....will do for starters.

I have always believed clean sheets breed confidence and belief, i.e "build from the back"....once that has been established, work on the " getting goals)

you have to have a platform to play from.

sure you are right, you need both....but I am not a prophet of "out gunning/scoring" the opposition as a prime format....its great in theory, in practice is different.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I’m looking forward to this after last weekends showing. With Bailey a bit more up to speed now I’d love to see him start, I’d also like a front three of Traore Watkins Bailey, but I can’t see Ings being benched. Everton looked sloppy in the first half against Burnley, but Benitez showed his experience and changed their set up mid game and they looked like a completely different team. Hoping for a win but think this could be a draw 

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Priorities Pete....clean sheet to build on....will do for starters.

I have always believed clean sheets breed confidence and belief, i.e "build from the back"....once that has been established, work on the " getting goals)

you have to have a platform to play from.

sure you are right, you need both....but I am not a prophet of "out gunning/scoring" the opposition as a prime format....its great in theory, in practice is different.

I agree, I am just joking with you 😀. I am a very very strong believer in building from the back. Must have is a great GK, then learn to defend and then start looking further up the pitch. I think DS has done just that but he has probably improved our attacking players to a degree I hadn't expected. Assuming there are no necessary purchases / replacements (injury or player sale), I hope and expect to see our next few new players be more defensive than attacking

We don’t have to fit all of our attacking players in at the same time. If it’s going to upset the balance then we shouldn’t be shoehorning people in because of their transfer fee/reputation. I’ve got no problem not playing Ings for example, if it means that Watkins is the focal point of the front three, flanked by Bailey and Buendia/Traore. Having top quality to come off the bench against tired legs is a massive game changer for us this season. 

It’s definitely a challenge for Dean, I’m glad I’m not making the decision. But it’s a nice problem to have. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

3-0 everton, they're in much better shape

They got played off the park by Burnley for 45 minutes last week! Their performances have not been much better than ours. No way can they thrash us at VP. We are much more likely to win 3-0 than they are.

• Like 1

On 16/09/2021 at 11:58, TRO said:

you are taking it too literally.....i was making a general point.

but you are right , you run from a knife, ( mind you they can still throw it)..... a gun, you are fuched.

and you definitely run towards a man with a bazooka. and give him a big hug ( according to Eddie Izzard)

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Tough game, this will be a good test to see where we are. 

I think it'll be a cracking game, I'm really looking forward to it. Great chance to shine but it might be asking a bit much for us to click immediately as there's a very good chance if we put our best XI out that they won't have all played together very much.

Think I would go 4-1-3-2 here and hit ‘em with everything we have offensively. We’ll  probably concede, but I think we can hurt ‘em more.

Maybe have our wide men drop a bit deeper as outlets, and play Doug as a holding player with instructions to find Bailey and whoever plays Wide left (depending on where we play Emi 2) with simple balls. Have Bailey running at them from deep.

In fact I’d be tempted to play Bailey wide left, Traore wide right and Buendia in the middle and scare the shit out of them with our running game.

Edited by HKP90

On 13/09/2021 at 19:53, Condimentalist said:

Sounds like Calvert Lewin will be out. They are beatable and we could do with a win.

Yes for the majority of the Burnley game Everton were rubbish. Just a crazy 10/15 minutes. It shows we have to play for 90 minutes. Dont think we will make the same mistakes Burnley did.