Pre Match Thread

maqroll

17 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

FWIW though, a 3-5-2 is just a means to fit Ings and Watkins into the same side and I don’t think it’s the best use of our squad and our summer signings.

I think the Ings situation might become a problem for Smith. 

I don’t know if it’s a ‘problem’ as such, they’re two strikers that would get in most PL stating elevens… I think that’s a massive string to our bow; that we have two strikers that can really hurt any team in the league.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

I liked our formation against Chelsea, I know it didn’t pay off but we looked dangerous and, mistakes aside, quite solid.

I think I would go:

Emi

Konsa     Tuanzebe   Mings

Cash                                                Targett

Buendia     Luiz   McGinn    

Ollie       Ings

It was a good line up and we played some nice football. If we are to do it again I would prefer Tuanzebe at RB and Konsa in the centre

2 minutes ago, smg said:

Buendia’s decision to go half way around the world to not even make the bench in a match that never happened and miss 3 weeks of competitive training and matches has effectively taken him back to pre season levels in terms of fitness and sharpness. The best he can hope for I think is a place on the bench and 20 minutes at the end if we are winning well.

There’s a harsh truth to this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Reality is that Buendia will be on the bench for a few games now - especially if we pick up points. Catch-22 for him - can’t ignore a call up, but through going he won’t automatically start for Villa. 

It really was a daft decision for him to go. I’m afraid it’s all on him as well. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Reality is that Buendia will be on the bench for a few games now - especially if we pick up points. Catch-22 for him - can’t ignore a call up, but through going he won’t automatically start for Villa. 

And if he doesn’t start for Villa, he might not get a call-up 😂

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

It was a good line up and we played some nice football. If we are to do it again I would prefer Tuanzebe at RB and Konsa in the centre

That could work better, although I think that error for their first goal from Tuanzebe might have been a wake up call for him and hopefully will make him work harder…?

Ramsey should keep his place over Buendia. While Emi is the better player, he’s made the choice to leave the Villa squad and I’m his place Ramsey has done well. It would be harsh to drop JJ now. 

That said, I see Buendia as the RW in a front three. Competing with Traore for a place, rather than Ramsey centrally. 

4 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

That could work better, although I think that error for their first goal from Tuanzebe might have been a wake up call for him and hopefully will make him work harder…?

I think Konsa is the better CB and would be more suited to the centre position and it helps that Tuanzebe has played RB during his career too. So it would still be playing players in a natural position (very unlike our time with Bruce). 

PS: I do think Konsa in the middle is the better option but it was not my idea, someone mentioned it on here the other day 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Yeah Back to a back 4, Tuanzebe back on bench I reckon yeah.

Scenes when he goes 5-3-2(3-5-2) again with Bailey & Watkins paired up front.

As others have said, it’s a refreshing change for us not to be able to predict the starting eleven… part of having a stronger squad, which we definitely do.

• Like 3

Its horses for courses, we went a a 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 because we were playing Chelsea.  Everton went with that system against Burnleys 4-4-2 and Burnley were bossing the game so Rafa changed it to a 4 at the back.  I dont like 3-5-2 because we are effectively just picking an extra defender and asking fullbacks to do the job of wingers.  

• Like 1

Martinez has to play, but Buendia on the bench I reckon given he's not trained with the squad. People keep saying he's our record signing so must start, it's not like Ings, Watkins, Bailey cost much less.

Personally I'd have Ings on the bench too and play Watkins as a lone striker with Bailey and Traore either side. He caused havoc for them in the away game in that role last season with his pressing and would have done in the home game had he not been suspended.

I'd go something like:

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

Ramsey Luiz McGinn

Traore Watkins Bailey

With Ings, Buendia and Sanson coming on in the 2nd half. 

• Like 3

If Buendía didn't run around his hotel rooms (if they didn't have running machines) then I'd like to see El Ghazi or Traore on one wing and Bailey on the other, maybe in a 4-1-3-2, and maybe with Ings slightly ahead of Watkins

Emi

Cash          Konsa              Mings             Targett 

Luiz 

Bailey                      Ramsey                     El Ghazi

Ings                Watkins