Pre Match Thread

maqroll

Funnily enough I think this might be harder for us than the chelski game. Rafa loves the tight compact defence. We have to block off their counter attacks straight away otherwise they'll hurt us. 

We're going to have a lot of the ball in this one. Mina is good for a yellow card or two he just can't help himself. Be interesting to see how we line up and in what formation.

McGinn, Luiz and Ramsey have to start together though. 

It’s a bit early for this I know but I’m genuinely excited to see a couple of our new boys playing together:

Martinez 

Cash    Konsa        Mings    Targett   

Luiz     McGinn 

Buendia        Ramsey          Bailey 

Watkins 

Subs:  Steer, Axel,  Hause, Young, Nakamba, Sanson, Traore, El Ghazi, Ings

Just look at how strong our bench can be compared to last season as well. Genuine competition for places all over the team. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

It’s a bit early for this I know but I’m genuinely excited to see a couple of our new boys playing together:

Martinez 

Luiz     McGinn 

Watkins 

Just look at how strong our bench can be compared to last season as well. Genuine competition for places all over the team. 

That's who I'd start. Ings looked a bit lost yesterday, but is a great option to bring on if we are chasing. Bailey had a good cameo and I'm looking forward to seeing him properly terrorise a defence. 

17 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

I feel that this is a must win. 

Way too early for a must win. If anything, our performance yesterday showed that we are safe and will remain in the PL next season. I would like us to win but if we show the same type of performance as we did against Chelsea I will be happy. That said, if we show the same type of performance again then we will comfortably win I suspect

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Way too early for a must win. If anything, our performance yesterday showed that we are safe and will remain in the PL next season. I would like us to win but if we show the same type of performance as we did against Chelsea I will be happy. That said, if we show the same type of performance again then we will comfortably win I suspect

I do agree to an extent - was really chuffed with our performance yesterday. Still, this is game 5 with Man Utd to follow. Good performances while encouraging need to translate into results. 

I think it is a must-win if we have genuine aspirations this season and if Smith is to avoid coming under pressure this early.

Everton are a decent side but we have an almost fully fit squad now, will have the home crowd behind us, and have to start picking up points to move up the table.

Next two after Everton are games we may get nothing, can pretty much write off the Manure game and I'm not sure Spuds will be as bad as when we played them last season.

I feel we need 3-4 points from the next 3 just to tread water, so we need a win from somewhere. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Martinez 

Luiz     McGinn 

Watkins 

Wow that bench. You could make a good case for most of those players to start.

• Like 1

At times on Saturday we actually looked like a Dean Smith side. Some of that nice fluid football that his Brentford side were so good at. 

Always love playing Everton, very rare it's a dull occasion. If we can add the finishing touch to the kind of stuff we produced against Chelsea, then I'm fairly confident we can get three points. 

• Like 2