Pre Match Thread

maqroll

17 minutes ago, robby b said:

If Buendía didn't run around his hotel rooms (if they didn't have running machines) then I'd like to see El Ghazi or Traore on one wing and Bailey on the other, maybe in a 4-1-3-2, and maybe with Ings slightly ahead of Watkins

Emi

Cash          Konsa              Mings             Targett 

Luiz 

Bailey                      Ramsey                     El Ghazi

Ings                Watkins

Very attacking! I like it, we might get hammered in midfield though. But if we were to score 5 goals on the break then I’m cool with that. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't see Buendia as competing for one of the three spots in midfield - he'll either play wide right or as a ten behind Ings and Watkins.

I think we can now play with a four or five at the back, and we can play two up top with a ten or one with wingers, but I don't think we can operate with two in the middle, I think for balance and any kind of control in games we need all three there - that'll be McGinn, Luiz and either Ramsey, Sanson or Nakamba - for me Ramsey has earned the right to keep the shirt for this one.

Buendia's trip to Argentina and Croatia might have delayed the need to find a solution to the four-into-three-don't-go selection problem up top for another week.

It's fantastic to have quality options.

I agree......There might come a day, that with better quality 2 could work, but we are some way off that IMO.

5 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Very attacking! I like it, we might get hammered in midfield though. But if we were to score 5 goals on the break then I’m cool with that. 

🤔  Hmm. Good point. Just as well I'm not the manager! 😓 I guess it would require Watkins or Ings to help out in midfield here and there.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If we win this our chance of a European place are still open.

I think it's a bit too early in the calls for where we will finish this season when we've not actually got going yet to be fair.

It will definately be an interesting game for sure with both teams fighting to get into the top 8 this season.

It wouldn't suprise me to see a cracking game that lands up being a Desmond.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

9 minutes ago, Louis said:

I’m hoping for a good game later. Staying at Birmingham Airport Travelodge as I won’t be able to get back after 

Ah, a fellow Villa fan from Surrey! 👍 There are a few of us. Hope you enjoy the game, fingers crossed for three points. 

42 minutes ago, Louis said:

I’m hoping for a good game later. Staying at Birmingham Airport Travelodge as I won’t be able to get back after midnight.

Is that an invitation

NSA?

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

FWIW though, a 3-5-2 is just a means to fit Ings and Watkins into the same side and I don’t think it’s the best use of our squad and our summer signings.

I think the Ings situation might become a problem for Smith. 

I'm with you on this.  I was very surprised when he came in.  I would have gone for Edouard at 14m - cheaper (transfer and wages), happy to play second fiddle and much younger.  That's not to say I don't think Ings is a very good striker.

• Like 1

There's a possibility of running a proper 3-5-2 with Bailey/Buendia operating as wide midfielders but there's no way that doesn't end with us getting taken to the cleaners on the wings.

The honest truth is there's no way to fit all of Ings/Bailey/Watkins/Buendia in the side with the caliber of midfielders we have. It is a bit of a problem and if they all stay healthy and fit, keeping everyone happy just won't be possible.

It seems Buendia's wacky adventures abroad have made the odd man out an easy one to pick right now. It won't be that easy going forward.

It's important that we get three points today, we need to keep in touch with the places in the table we aspire to finish in and the upcoming games aren't getting easier.

We also should set the standard for how we want to perform this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

I'm with you on this.  I was very surprised when he came in.  I would have gone for Edouard at 14m - cheaper (transfer and wages), happy to play second fiddle and much younger.  That's not to say I don't think Ings is a very good striker.

Ings was a "appease the restless natives" signing. 

• Like 1

We will have to be on it today, Benitez has 10 points already and Everton will be a solid side - excited we should have all options available, but nervous because it's the first time we have this season. As much as I'd love a win, I can see this as a 2-2 and that wouldn't be a bad result.