Pre Match Thread

maqroll

41 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Absolutely flying under Benitez. 

They are joint top. 

Yes but since we've been back where we belong our record against them is won 2, drawn 2, lost 0. Ha !

(This after a terrible run of five defeats from six when we were in the PL previously).

So these last 4 results should give us  a bit of a psychological boost and maybe make them a little bit wary of us ('Oh no, it's that flippin' Villa again', in a Scouse accent).

Edited by robby b

2 hours ago, grobs said:

We are in trouble against these 

We've matched up well against them since we came up though. Their backline couldn't handle Ollie at all at Goodison back end of last season and I'd personally start Bailey aswell. Think Ings scored a few v them for Southampton so think we'll go back to 4-3-3 for this.

Would be great one to win to settle everyone down and give us chance to kick on a bit.

Think we'll do it 2-1.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Absolutely flying under Benitez. 

They are joint top. 

Decent start for them but the only top half team (from last season) that they have played so far is Leeds and that was a draw and they are also now without DCL.  This is definitely a winnable game.

Everton have had a good start but they can't not lose forever and we can beat them now we are getting close to a fully fit squad. We also tend to do well against them.

The Brentford and Watford results were not acceptable but we were not at full strength and this weekend, other than Davis and Trezeguet (who are way down the pecking order anyway), we may actually have a fully fit squad to choose from. 

The major thing Smith has to get right is picking the right team. He will have to revert back to four at the back for this one and start using Bailey from the start.

I also think it would be wise to have Ings on the bench and Watkins up front on his own - though I am not sure Smith has the balls to do this. 

For me we would be something like this:

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

McGinn Luiz Ramsey

Buendia Watkins Bailey

Subs: Steer, Tuanzebe, Hause, Young, Nakamba, Sanson, El Ghazi, Traore, Ings

Enough about that side to win this game IMO. Need to take our chances better than we did against Chelsea but I fancy Bailey and Watkins to get off the mark. 

Looked terrible for the first 30 minutes vs Burnley. Would like to think we have more about us than Burnley, and at home after a performance like we've just had I expect a win, despite their good start and position. Benitez is a canny manager, he knows how to set up a solid side. I think Everton got a bit lucky with their goals yesterday but were worthy winners. But I have to say that we should have too much for them though, we are no longer "stop Jack and stop the attack", if we play Buendia, Watkins, Ings and Bailey, which I expect to do so, we should have too much quality.

Villa 2 - 0 Everton

• Like 2

Rafa gets his teams well drilled and organised. This game will be won in the middle. If Rafa goes 3 4 3 again we should play the same formation as against Chelsea. If they go back to a 4 at the back we will probably be better served with a 4 3 3 too. 

2 - 1 Villa if we take our chances. Mings will score for us.

Edited by Sulberto21

Everton's position flatters them. I think this is an evenly matched game, and with important players returning from injury we have looked much better. Potentially add in Buendia and Martinez and we should have plenty in the tank to win this one. If we play the way we played against Chelsea (with a better backpass from Mings) then we win.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, BOF said:

Everton's position flatters them. I think this is an evenly matched game, and with important players returning from injury we have looked much better. Potentially add in Buendia and Martinez and we should have plenty in the tank to win this one. If we play the way we played against Chelsea (with a better backpass from Mings) then we win.

Yeah that's about the size of it, I'd expect them to score looking at the second half last night. We'll press high and they are really good on the counter. I think we might score more than them though, if we score first we might get 3 or 4.

18 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think the owners are looking for a return on their huge investment.

You look at Rafa at Everton for example.

Inherited a mediocre squad, signed a few players on freebies and already sitting 4th in the table.

Dean Smith has had 3 seasons.. 100's of millions to spend and has to get a  European place sealed this season.

Deano does need to start cracking the whip before the owners do.

Look who Everton have played so far this season

• Beat Southampton at home
  • Drew to Leeds on the road
  • Beat Brighton away
  • Beat Burnley at home

They've only played bottom half teams and have not had the same injury, fitness, COVID problems we've had.  Just looking at the table after 4 games won't tell you the full story.  

18 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yeah that's about the size of it, I'd expect them to score looking at the second half last night. We'll press high and they are really good on the counter. I think we might score more than them though, if we score first we might get 3 or 4.

1-0 will be fine.

what gives an opponent a lift, is goals.....we need a clean sheet.

Edited by TRO

17 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Look who Everton have played so far this season

• Beat Southampton at home
  • Drew to Leeds on the road
  • Beat Brighton away
  • Beat Burnley at home

They've only played bottom half teams and have not had the same injury, fitness, COVID problems we've had.  Just looking at the table after 4 games won't tell you the full story.  

Let's hope we get the same results or better against those same teams.

3 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Everton's wage bill is 50% larger than ours. They have outspent us last 5 seasons by some £30 million. Finished above us every year since our promotion yet they have the mediocre squad?  What does that make ours then?  

Just compare the squad ages. Everton have the 6th oldest per transfermarket. Villa have the 4th youngest. I believe the owners know we are building something after a decade of mismanagement. Hopefully they are a but more rational than some on here. 

Not so much the squad - more about the manager that's getting a tune out of that squad.

6 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Everton's wage bill is 50% larger than ours. They have outspent us last 5 seasons by some £30 million. Finished above us every year since our promotion yet they have the mediocre squad?  What does that make ours then?  

Just compare the squad ages. Everton have the 6th oldest per transfermarket. Villa have the 4th youngest. I believe the owners know we are building something after a decade of mismanagement. Hopefully they are a but more rational than some on here. 

Everton I think spent something ridiculous nearly 300 million on wages in the last 4 seasons. Got nothing out of it