January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

11 hours ago, thabucks said:

Cash & Kessler are the future so not sure why right backs are being touted or discussed. Left back is different as we need quality cover to push Targett. 

Kesler doing well on loan but depends if Gerrard decides he needs another loan next season. If Cash gets injured we have to play a CB at right back so certainly need another so wouldn't shock me if we went in for Nathan Patterson. Highly rated and scored decent goal for Scotland.

On the other side Targett lost a bit of confidence and struggling and Young isn't a long term option at all so think it's pretty certain we'll be signing two full backs in next two windows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

If we want a left back we should just go an spunk everything on Theo Hernandez :wub:

Yes seen him a bit for AC Milan and he's one of best attacking full backs in world football. France basically changed their formation in last six months to get him in the team.

Could've got him in 2019 summer for about 15m as he had a few loan spells in Spain where he didn't do much.

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Kesler doing well on loan but depends if Gerrard decides he needs another loan next season. If Cash gets injured we have to play a CB at right back so certainly need another so wouldn't shock me if we went in for Nathan Patterson. Highly rated and scored decent goal for Scotland.

On the other side Targett lost a bit of confidence and struggling and Young isn't a long term option at all so think it's pretty certain we'll be signing two full backs in next two windows.

Gerrard can convince Guilbert to come back and fight for his place. I think Guilbert be up for that as I think Smith just told him he wouldn't be first choice

I think he will look at bringing more physicality to the team.....even our centre backs are not really aggressive.

We are too easy to play against, that will be a factor in his thinking...in the Transfer market.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

We have a tax liability on the sale of Jack. That is the law. If we have other losses to write off against that profit that is irrelevant. We still have a 20m tax bill for Jack and if we use other tax losses we can’t use those to offset other costs. The bottom line is Jack nets us 80m and not 100m

and-thats-the-bottom-line-because-i-said

• Haha 2

Hope we'll look into some value from the continent i the likes of:

Nico Schlotterbeck.

Lucas Martinez  Quarta.

Valentin Rongier.

Bruno Guimarães.

Papa Gueye.

Maxence Caqueret.

How plausible it is i have no idea. 

Underwhelming:

spacer.png

Not looking like a top DM is he? Nothing to shout about defensively.

And if we’re after CMs, then we need an exceptional one who is way better than our existing options and can help us control a game, provide some leadership & inspiration.

The last thing we need is average/mediocre players no better than we have or not much different to the midfielders we already have…

Kamara’s stats are also more underwhelming considering he plays in such a weak league. I don’t think bargain buys are what we need right now.

I think a  valid question is, why has there been no interest in Kamara or many Rangers players before? Why should we settle for those kind of targets? I’d hope we would sight our sights a lot higher…

Otherwise, we’ll remain a lower end or, at best, midtable team if that was ever the bracket or calibre of player we’d be after. Fortunately, I don’t think that’s the case. I hope anyway.

We need to look for the highest attainable quality if we really want to improve, not stop gap signings… we’re never going to progress otherwise, that wouldn’t scream “ambition” at all…

Back to DMs…

There are plenty of options out there and names we covered to death in the summer, all of which have much more impressive stats, performances and attributes (and play in higher quality & more competitive leagues, against tougher opposition inc European competitions) that can genuinely help and improve/enhance us as a team. Again, the likes of Doucoure, Anguissa, Boubacar Kamara and several others…

For comparison, Sangare would be an excellent signing for us. Why go for Kamara when you could get someone like this?

spacer.png

Mikel Merino???

spacer.png

Edited by Jas10
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Gerrard can convince Guilbert to come back and fight for his place. I think Guilbert be up for that as I think Smith just told him he wouldn't be first choice

I like Guilbert, but if we're going to progress as a club, we need to buy footballers who are better than our first teamers and not just an upgrade on the bench.  I don't think Guilbert is any better than Cash is, and I don't think either are top 6 starter quality.  We really should be looking to upgrade everyone in the team, with the possible exceptions of Martinez and maybe Ings.  

• Top 4 team starters:  Martinez
  • 6-8th place starters:  Ings, Konsa, Douglas Luiz, Watkins - All would be quality rotation options/squad players for top 4 squads
  • Mid-Table starters:  Mings, Targett, Cash, McGinn
  • Unknowns at this time:  Buendia, Bailey, J. Ramsey (I think they're all Prem quality, I just don't know where to place them yet)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

We have a tax liability on the sale of Jack. That is the law. If we have other losses to write off against that profit that is irrelevant. We still have a 20m tax bill for Jack and if we use other tax losses we can’t use those to offset other costs. The bottom line is Jack nets us 80m and not 100m

Is that unique to football?

Otherwise not sure this is true.  I'm in business and if I sold something that netted me £100 mill profit, but I had already made a £100 mill loss that year - I wouldn't pay any tax on the profit as there wasn't any....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Adman said:

Otherwise not sure this is true.  I'm in business and if I sold something that netted me £100 mill profit, but I had already made a £100 mill loss that year - I wouldn't pay any tax on the profit as there wasn't any....

Unless Peter means VAT which is due on transfers between UK clubs? In which case transfer fees are usually reported excluding VAT, as far as I’m aware.

16 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Sign him up!

What clickbaity BS...  It says in the article that he enquired about "his club", not Villa specifically, and life in the Premier League.  The article also says Cash had a horrible debut and was subbed off at halftime because he was so bad...

37 minutes ago, KMitch said:

What clickbaity BS...  It says in the article that he enquired about "his club", not Villa specifically, and life in the Premier League.  The article also says Cash had a horrible debut and was subbed off at halftime because he was so bad...

I seem to be one of the few not convinced by Cash. Hate to say it as I love his character and personality on the pitch.

3 hours ago, Adman said:

Not unique to football the principle of being able to write off losses against profits. However, tax regulations for football specifically cover home grown players and their tax implication on sale. For non home grown players the net profit and amortisation amounts are taken into account. For home grown player the club must the club has a tax liability of the full purchase price plus agent fees. Negotiations of transfers are often delayed as the club tries to agree with the player to pay the agent fees. Even if we have losses accrued they can be written off against other profits at the club. We still need to accept the 20m cost of Jack's sale to HMRC. The discussion above was suggesting that we have the full 100m from an FFP perspective, but the FFP benefit for us in this accounting window is 80m.

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Unless Peter means VAT which is due on transfers between UK clubs? In which case transfer fees are usually reported excluding VAT, as far as I’m aware.

Doug,

No, I am not referring to VAT. There is VAT on a player purchase but City pay us that VAT and we pay it to HMRC. We have a 19% tax liability on the sale of Jack this season. So the FFP benefit of selling Jack is 81m profit.