January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I dont think we will be spending that much on player, especially not a left back. 

He will have money to spend, no doubt. And though Targett played OK on Saturday, he'll need to be amazing from here on in to balance how poor he's been. We need a new left back regardless as there's only Young and centre halves to fill in, even if Targett keeps his place.

Ideally, we need two full backs, and so why not better ones than we have? Then let them fight it out.

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Would be a statement signing

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would be amazing pick up.

Would take 50m + though. That is sort of statement signing that would get others sitting up and taking notice anyway.

Imagine the meltdown when we sign a 50 mill Left back, and no CM/CDM 😜🤣

Would be " The most Villa thing to do "

• Haha 1

Thing is, we definitely have good enough fringe players, to be able to generate funds towards, or to cover at least 1 top player IMO.

We need less these days, just pure quality injection.

If we could get a couple more players the levels of Martinez in a their respective positions, we are flying .

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Imagine the meltdown when we sign a 50 mill Left back, and no CM/CDM 😜🤣

Would be " The most Villa thing to do "

He's a centre back btw. 

Edited by Steero113
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Oh, I see.

Left or Right footer?

I'm still not sure CB is our top priority if i'm honest.

Left footed. 

He turned down a move to Spurs in the summer (he was their preferred target) as he wanted Champions League football. 

Spurs got Romero on loan last minute instead with an option to buy. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Oh, I see.

Left or Right footer?

I'm still not sure CB is our top priority if i'm honest.

Every great team seems to have  top class spine and I could see him investing heavily in a Torres,, a new Steve Gerrard, I think Ollie and Emi1 complete a great spine.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John said:

If we were looking for a left-back, I think their first thought would be Barisic, if not how about Rico Henry (again) or Kyle Walker-Peters?

Barisic is supposed to be pretty crap. KWP is right footed, so not the best choice if we're going for overlapping fbs crossing in. Henry is a decent player, but I'm not convinced he's that much better than Targett. If we go for a new LB I think it would have to be someone at a different level to any of our current fbs.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah i don't get the Shaw hate amongst English fans.

He was immense in that tournament.

People are blinded currently by United's woeful form. 

Fact is that he's class and had an unbelievable season in 20/21. Still only 26 as well. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Barisic is supposed to be pretty crap. KWP is right footed, so not the best choice if we're going for overlapping fbs crossing in. Henry is a decent player, but I'm not convinced he's that much better than Targett. If we go for a new LB I think it would have to be someone at a different level to any of our current fbs.

KWP has done well on the left to date, this season nevertheless, and could offer cover for both back positions. I agree that we would likely need to set a higher bar for any new signing, and for that reason, I doubt we are currently in the market to replace Targett. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Barisic has never totally convinced me. He is not a rampaging full back like Robertson or Tierney. He gets forward purely because Rangers usually had the ball far up the field most of the time. He was pretty solid defensively. Nothing startling. His main attribute is his wand of a left foot. Fantastic delivery even on the run without taking touch. Croatian international with good number of caps. Maybe there is better out there. 

• Like 1