January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

I can see us signing Olsen, Hickey, Zakaria, Bissouma, and Alverez, maybe not both of Bissouma and Zakaria, and maybe not those players in particular (especially Bissouma depending on his off field situation), but those are the areas I think we will look to strengthen in and the class of player I think we will look towards. Alverez maybe a long shot, but I wouldn't be totally surprised to us try tweak our attacking options.

We also obviously need another central defender, maybe that will be a domestic loan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

I can see us signing Olsen, Hickey, Zakaria, Bissouma, and Alverez, maybe not both of Bissouma and Zakaria, and maybe not those players in particular (especially Bissouma depending on his off field situation), but those are the areas I think we will look to strengthen in and the class of player I think we will look towards. Alverez maybe a long shot, but I wouldn't be totally surprised to us try tweak our attacking options.

We also obviously need another central defender, maybe that will be a domestic loan.

Problem with loaning a CB is that you rarely get a decent CB who's available. I mean look at Liverpool the best they could get during there injury crisis last year was Ozan Kabak and now he plays for Norwich.

We need someone up and coming a bit like how Leicester plucked Wesley Fofana from Ligue 1 in that ilk.

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Sell Watkins, and bring Luis Suarez in - get the old band back together ;)

sjK8TqG.jpg

Then use the funds to put towards a CB and top class DM

Sell Watkins and bring is a proper striker. How would Alvarez fit with Coutinho, Ramsey and Buendia? With Bailey and Chukwuemeka as options.

I think Kerr Smith is our up and coming centre back, although signed for the academy, it was notable that Harrison made mention of him becoming a first team player, something I've never seen him do with any of the other academy players, indicating to me that perhaps we see Smith as being not too far away from being a first team squad player, despite him only turning seventeen last month.

A domestic loan would cover us until the end of the season, and then we can decide to do based on how Smith is doing, and what Hause decidedes to do with his future. If Hause leaves then I can definitely see us going for a younger option, not Smith or Feeney young, but similar profile to Konsa when we first signed him.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, useless said:

Alvarez, Bissouma and a CB be incredible, but the latter 2 positions are crucial.

If Trez goes we could go for Alvarez, but honestly can’t see it.

I think Alverez or some equivalent is probably a long shot, would perhaps only happen if Ings was to leave. I think centre back and DM are the two positions that we will definitely strengthen in, notable today that Purslow said that Gerrard wanted to sign players that are proven winners, which is why we've gone for Digne and Coutinho, maybe the DM will have a similar profile.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

I think Alverez or some equivalent is probably a long shot, would perhaps only happen if Ings was to leave. I think centre back and DM are the two positions that we will definitely strengthen in, notable today that Purslow said that Gerrard wanted to sign players that are proven winners, which is why we've gone for Digne and Coutinho, maybe the DM will have a similar profile.

Denis Zakaria please.

Need to get a first choice centre back in to replace either Konsa or Mings and freshen up the centre of defence. Cannot see the partnership growing any further and both need pushing and start to earn the shirt. Healthy competition  is key to progression. Bruce, Smith both had their favourites but can see Gerrard being different. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I think alvarez only happens if we catch wind of someone else trying to sign him, otherwise we wait

Not sure if it's a development thing or a work permit thing or player himself thing or needing to shift players off our books but leave him where he is 

When the times right we might go back, if someone like Leeds or Newcastle or Everton go for him then we might jump back in the race confident we can get him over them

The danger being that the latest links are bayern, man utd and inter but it does seem strange that this wonderkid is having a great season is available for £17m and no one is snapping their hand off 

Almada was the same for the last couple of years and he's ended up at Atlanta in the MLS

Centre back is a difficult one - Gerrard either has to relegate either the captain or a very promising player to the bench. We dont have a back up to Konsa, as Hause is effectively back up for the left side of the defence so if we bench Mings then Hause becomes 3rd choice left centre back and we'd still need a back up for Konsa, so we'd be signing 2 centre backs...

I therefore suggest we'll buy a right sided centre back and Konsa will be the fall guy 

3 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Centre back is a difficult one - Gerrard either has to relegate either the captain or a very promising player to the bench. We dont have a back up to Konsa, as Hause is effectively back up for the left side of the defence so if we bench Mings then Hause becomes 3rd choice left centre back and we'd still need a back up for Konsa, so we'd be signing 2 centre backs...

I therefore suggest we'll buy a right sided centre back and Konsa will be the fall guy 

I think we need to buy the best player we can in the Konsa mould (ie young, quick) and let them battle it out. 

Interesting interview with Purslow.  Buying more experienced, slightly older players is a conscious decision by Gerrard and we still have more irons in the fire for January transfers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We Want to end the season well, because we want to set up a BIG SUMMER!!!!

Very Excited GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Yeah what does that mean 😂.

Maybe if City get Haaland we can have a big push for Kane! 

I thought today there aren’t many times I’ve looked at the team sheets before we play Utd and felt we had the stronger 11 on paper. Shows we are moving in the right direction. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

When everyone is fit, we could have a bench of:

Steer, Hause, Young, Targett, Nakamba, Sanson, Bailey, Traore, Ings

We need some depth at centre half, but we're well on the way to a very decent squad.

So that's with likes of Chuk and Trez not making the bench. So many decent options now, it's great.

Just now, turvontour said:

So that's with likes of Chuk and Trez not making the bench. So many decent options now, it's great.

I forgot Chuk!

If we're looking to buy a CB, bring in a GK and buy a DM, then that bench is going to get very difficult to get onto.

"Marvelous, hi, I know you were excellent before your injury but erm..."

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I forgot Chuk!

If we're looking to buy a CB, bring in a GK and buy a DM, then that bench is going to get very difficult to get onto.

"Marvelous, hi, I know you were excellent before your injury but erm..."

I dream of a situation where we have a 25 man squad with very good players that can’t even get on the bench. Let them all fight it out for a place in the first 11 and match day squad.

Competition for places is going to be crucial in getting everyone to improve.